• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hunter is becoming Marv

Spud2nique

• 2 weeks later...

I’m disappointed but we still need to keep Hunter by all means. I’m giving him to 5-6 year mark to really break out of his shell.

I don’t believe he’s ever going to be a 2 guy but he could be a somewhat very good 3 - 4 guy.

• Like 1

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, JTB said:

I’m disappointed but we still need to keep Hunter by all means. I’m giving him to 5-6 year mark to really break out of his shell.

I don’t believe he’s ever going to be a 2 guy but he could be a somewhat very good 3 - 4 guy.

He has had pretty limited windows when his offense is impactful but his defense has been good for the vast majority of his games with us.  I still think he can be an important part of our rotation but I'm no longer hoping that his hot start to last season is a sustainable baseline for him without some significant development (which I don't rule out).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Let me say again....he needs to stay on the floor!

Ohkkayyy… but he’s still Marvining out there. Can’t deny that. He’s the best of what we currently have but he’s not who I thought he was. Not yet anyways.

• Premium Member

He's young.  No sense in talking about him needing to change his personality -- he is who he is.  Lot's of nice guys are ballers, I don't buy into guys needing to be emotional to be good.  Tim Duncan won 5 rings without smiling.  Steph is the opposite of a guy with "edge and grit".  I hate how people revere MJ for being a d*ck to his teammates and others.  He won in spite of that, not because of it.  I just want Hunter to stay healthy and nimble.  I worry about his knee a lot... feels a half step slow from what we've seen.  Just tossing my thoughts down.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

He's young.  No sense in talking about him needing to change his personality -- he is who he is.  Lot's of nice guys are ballers, I don't buy into guys needing to be emotional to be good.  Tim Duncan won 5 rings without smiling.  Steph is the opposite of a guy with "edge and grit".  I hate how people revere MJ for being a d*ck to his teammates and others.  He won in spite of that, not because of it.  I just want Hunter to stay healthy and nimble.  I worry about his knee a lot... feels a half step slow from what we've seen.  Just tossing my thoughts down.

No doubt I agree and hope to help I’m wrong. I don’t make these threads often specially about our own guys. 

But I just feel a tad like I was kinda had so far just a bit. I recognize it’s early, but he needs to find what he does (defense) and pick his spots and hit. I’ll be thrilled with 25 but I’ll take 14/6/4.

Chances of him being a Pippen or Kawhi now to me have gone down. 15-20% 

Chances of him being a Mikal, (I’m happy with this btw) is 55%.

Him being Marvin. 54.5% 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 11:37 AM, JTB said:

What does "by all means" mean?

If a team offers him a 4 - 100 mill deal, do you match it?

As for the OP, Marvin Williams was a better player in Year 3, than De'Andre is now.

One of the biggest red flags about De'Andre's game, is that his PER is way below most lottery picks, because he's basically a one-trick pony from an analytics impact standpoint.  And that is he's simply an average shooter.

He doesn't rebound.  He definitely doesn't make plays for others.  He doesn't get to the FT line.  And he doesn't get steals and blocks ( the type of things on defense that ends the opponent's offensive possession ).  The fact that he only averages one steal AND block COMBINED per game, is not the type of production you'd want to see out of your best defensive player.

On most good teams, De'Andre would not be a starter.  On the Hawks, he's seen as essential.

That's BAD for the immediate future of the team. And it may be a major miscalculation on Schlenk's part to stand pat at the trade deadline.

Let's hope the collective play of the team, can diminish some of the glaring weaknesses of some of our players.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

I think/hope it's valid to say that his before and after the WWE foul by Kelly Oubre is a factor.  Hunter looked good before that and bad afterwards.  

Or maybe it's just a small sample of size? He had like 4 good games and since then it's been like a dozen bad ones in a row. Hard to believe that a fall that caused him to miss no time is impacting him a month later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

As for the OP, Marvin Williams was a better player in Year 3, than De'Andre is now.

One of the biggest red flags about De'Andre's game, is that his PER is way below most lottery picks, because he's basically a one-trick pony from an analytics impact standpoint.  And that is he's simply an average shooter.

He doesn't rebound.  He definitely doesn't make plays for others.  He doesn't get to the FT line.  And he doesn't get steals and blocks ( the type of things on defense that ends the opponent's offensive possession ).  The fact that he only averages one steal AND block COMBINED per game, is not the type of production you'd want to see out of your best defensive player.

On most good teams, De'Andre would not be a starter.  On the Hawks, he's seen as essential.

That's BAD for the immediate future of the team. And it may be a major miscalculation on Schlenk's part to stand pat at the trade deadline.

Let's hope the collective play of the team, can diminish some of the glaring weaknesses of some of our players.

4 yr 100 mill? 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

“By all means” unless we actually get something back better in a trade or find something better on the market.