• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Annnnnnnnd dowwwwnnn the stretch they commmmmmme

sturt

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It's not correct. Hornets are 30/33. Look at their game log.

Yup, it didn't update after the Bucks Hornets. Kept hitting refresh last night on the browser and just wouldn't update lol. It's strange but probably just a server thing, not a purposfully let's conspire to have the Hawks in the tenth spot as long as possible thing.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

Won't mean squat if we don't win tonight. We have to do our part for other teams losing for it to matter. I just need to see a CONSISTENT DEFENSIVE EFFORT. The offense will come from that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Look at the Hornets game log. ESPN is wrong. 

Its an image thing.. They love Charlotte and hate the Hawks.. lol

So now all of a suuden the standings wont update when it comes to us moving up? smh

Edited by terrell
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Won't mean squat if we don't win tonight. We have to do our part for other teams losing for it to matter. I just need to see a CONSISTENT DEFENSIVE EFFORT. The offense will come from that.

Like I said....what's the point of teams helping us if we can't help ourselves. Smh.

• Premium Member

I think we can give up on 6th. I honestly think if they want to go big game hunting in the offseason that missing the playoffs to boost our draft pick's value is worth it more than a play in appearance or first round sweep in the first round. 

I am really disgusted at how bad Kevin has played this season. Same with Hunter. You know what Capela does and does not do. The only real bright spots are Trae, Collins and Bogi. It really looks like we completely blew two top 10 picks in the same draft on defensive wings. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Sothron said:

I think we can give up on 6th. I honestly think if they want to go big game hunting in the offseason that missing the playoffs to boost our draft pick's value is worth it more than a play in appearance or first round sweep in the first round. 

I am really disgusted at how bad Kevin has played this season. Same with Hunter. You know what Capela does and does not do. The only real bright spots are Trae, Collins and Bogi. It really looks like we completely blew two top 10 picks in the same draft on defensive wings. 

Our fix is with a trade...not a draft pick.   

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Diesel said:

Our fix is with a trade...not a draft pick.   

I think Sothron agrees and thinks a better pick will mean a better trade.  When he talks about big game hunting, he is talking about going after a big established NBA player and trading a lottery pick is more enticing than the #15 pick or something.

8 hours ago, Sothron said:

It really looks like we completely blew two top 10 picks in the same draft on defensive wings. 

Sadly, that 2019 just looks terrible right now.  Here is where our guys rank:

Hunter - #4 pick, #28 total win shares, #40 in WS/48, #42 BPM, #57 VORP

Reddish - #10 pick, #34 total win shares, #46 in WS/48, #39 BPM, #54 VORP

That Value Over Replacement Player number is incredible.  Hunter has a better number than exactly one player from this class.  

I'm not throwing in the towel on Hunter but it is ugly right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think Sothron agrees and thinks a better pick will mean a better trade.  When he talks about big game hunting, he is talking about going after a big established NBA player and trading a lottery pick is more enticing than the #15 pick or something.

That Value Over Replacement Player number is incredible.  Hunter has a better number than exactly one player from this class.  

The VORP is incredibly bad this year, he's at - 0.6 now it's worse than all of our bad players combined, and would be - 1.5 over a full 82 game season. His box score plus minus is also dead last on the team. We are costing ourselves wins by playing him 30 mins. 

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

This belongs in the Hunter Marvin thread. :cray2:

• Sad 2

I was told by an expert analyst who regularly posts on this fan site that Hunter would have stopped Middleton in the Bucks series and Hawks would have been champs.  

I still have some hope for Hunter, but we had a few mega homer takes on the Cam and Hunter pairing.  

• Premium Member
On 3/2/2022 at 12:10 AM, Sothron said:

We can't have a mentality of hunting for X or Y spot, or we will get beat up. You can't overlook teams, can't look ahead, all we can do is take it game by game, clean up the breakdowns, and hopefully make the playoffs playing our best basketball and as healthy as possible.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Just for the record....

The 2020-21 season was miserable for as long as it was miserable due in significant part to injuries that (a) kept prime time, rotation players off the floor, and simultaneously but also importantly, (b) kept the rotation from gaining any continuity... and chemistry. (It seems likely the other significant part had to do with the delta between McM's coaching and LP's.)

And the converse is also true... when it wasn't miserable, it wasn't miserable b/c the significant parts were resolved... in fact, it wasn't just "not miserable," it was almost glorious. Glorious, I say. A misplaced ref's foot away from being historically glorious.

The 2021-22 season has been... and is... miserable for as long as it's been miserable due to injuries that (a) kept prime time, rotation players off the floor, and simultaneously but also importantly, (b) kept the rotation from gaining any continuity... and chemistry.

And if you think you read that already, you certainly did.

The stats showed at the end of 2020-21 that the Hawks had, in fact, been one of the two or three most injury-ravaged teams in the entire association, and if I recall correctly, the most injury-ravaged of those that made the playoffs. Horrific luck.

How could we have anticipated that 2021-22 would be worse?

But it most certainly has been. Uber-horrific luck.

For the very few games that there wasn't a key member of the rotation out, this team performed like we'd thought they would... in my Dennis Green voice, "they are who we thought they were." That too-brief span included much of that 7-game win streak when we began to see some light on the horizon.

So, for all of my positive vibes in this thread and elsewhere, those were predicated on the team finally getting to a place of health for the rotation pieces, and with that, a place of continuity where their familiarity with each other as much as their individual talent would win games.

That premise has been imploded with JC's situation. Uber-horrific. *sigh*

• Thanks 2