• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Not basketball. Not light-hearted. Not politics. And since we don't have a forum dedicated to "being human" I'm just putting this here.

sturt

• Premium Member

With no additional comment, other than to say, if after giving it a few seconds of letting it sink in what you're looking at, this doesn't cause at least one tear to well up in the corner of just one of your eyes, then I encourage you to check your pulse immediately.

(Mods, feel free to move, of course, but honestly didn't see a good place to put this, so I went with the Hawksquawk "mainstream media." We are, after all, a community first at this point, and a basketball community a close second.)

FMfWykjXsAQCDQT.jpg

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 5

This link is a great watch for those wanting a non biased history of the history behind the conflict and how Russian started living in the breakaway territories to start with.  10 minutes of your life that will be well spent in understanding this without a lot of US media bias.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sturt said:

With no additional comment, other than to say, if after giving it a few seconds of letting it sink in what you're looking at, this doesn't cause at least one tear to well up in the corner of just one of your eyes, then I encourage you to check your pulse immediately.

(Mods, feel free to move, of course, but honestly didn't see a good place to put this, so I went with the Hawksquawk "mainstream media." We are, after all, a community first at this point, and a basketball community a close second.)

FMfWykjXsAQCDQT.jpg

What a powerful picture, that can be interpreted in many ways.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, thecampster said:

This link is a great watch for those wanting a non biased history of the history behind the conflict and how Russian started living in the breakaway territories to start with.  10 minutes of your life that will be well spent in understanding this without a lot of US media bias.

Excellent synopsis.  Despite it not having "US media bias," it says pretty much the same thing the US media has been saying, along with most of the rest of the world media.  

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think what Camp means, is that the US media is so politically leaning, that each of the Left and Right leaning media will throw their extra spin to the story.  The international news agencies tend to call it a little more down the middle, and simply stick with reporting the facts of the story, without all of the emotional political pundits that you see in this country throwing in their opinions and hypotheses.

Watching cable news these days is almost the equivalent of watching First Take and Undisputed.  Sometimes, all I want is the story, and the facts that are going on in real time.  I can do without "expert opinions" during this conflict.

I like that 95% of the story from the anchor was just fact spitting. Tell me facts, let me make up my own mind.

• Like 3

I’ve been desensitized to violence so long ago.  I never choose sides, the carrying capacity of Earth demands that people die.  The how, who, what, when, and why is irrelevant in the grand scheme of the universe (aight I’m done with philosophy class lol).  

That said this image always stuck with me, from the Syrian conflict I think:3E395913-FC21-4CF6-B478-F3A1A88FA5C1.jpeg.49d4ec124ae4e5212cc9608a64f1c9fd.jpeg

Clearly I’m a cold-hearted POS when it pertains to adults but this illicits the small bit of empathy I have.  Innocent children suffering (and having no understanding of why) ain’t it.

Edited by benhillboy

7 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

Who are these people?

Putting my Cyber Security Pro hat on, most of the people you are seeing online siding with VLAD are Russian Bots routed through VPN to trick US Social Media sites into believing the traffic is originated in the US.  There are always idiots who like to be counter to what the populace is saying but the majority of the people you are seeing online supporting him are hackers that are part of the GRU.

The Russians are one of the biggest disinformation groups on the dark web meddling in everything.  You can research this topic by looking up APT - Advanced Persistent Threat Goups on Mandiant to see the different groups working the dark web.

https://www.mandiant.com/resources/apt-groups

APT28

Also known as: Tsar Team
Suspected attribution: Russian government

Target sectors: The Caucasus, particularly Georgia, eastern European countries and militaries, North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and other European security organizations and defense firms

Overview: APT28 is a skilled team of developers and operators collecting intelligence on defense and geopolitical issues—intelligence that would be useful only to a government. This APT group compiles malware samples with Russian language settings during working hours (8 a.m. to 6 p.m.), consistent with the time zone of Russia’s major cities, including Moscow and St. Petersburg. This suggests that APT28 receives direct ongoing financial and other resources from a well-established organization, most likely the Russian government.

Associated malware: CHOPSTICK, SOURFACE

Attack vectors: Tools commonly used by APT28 include the SOURFACE downloader, its second-stage backdoor EVILTOSS and a modular family of implants dubbed CHOPSTICK. APT28 has employed RSA encryption to protect files and stolen information moved from the victim’s network to the controller. It has also made incremental and systematic changes to the SOURFACE downloader and its surrounding ecosystem since 2007, indicating a long-standing and dedicated development effort.

There are numerous ones, but this is the most high profile.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Interesting note on what's going on over there. Media outlets are reporting that the Ukranians are letting people out of jail who agree to fight for Ukraine, effectively commuting their sentences and arming them.

Think about how weird/wild that is....enemy of the state / prisoner of the state becomes defender of the state.

• Like 4

On 2/26/2022 at 3:05 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think what Camp means, is that the US media is so politically leaning, that each of the Left and Right leaning media will throw their extra spin to the story.  The international news agencies tend to call it a little more down the middle, and simply stick with reporting the facts of the story, without all of the emotional political pundits that you see in this country throwing in their opinions and hypotheses.

Watching cable news these days is almost the equivalent of watching First Take and Undisputed.  Sometimes, all I want is the story, and the facts that are going on in real time.  I can do without "expert opinions" during this conflict.

Exactly.  This event with Russia and the Ukraine has let me know that I prefer to stay uninformed than disinformed by grifters.  It's one thing for Stephen A Smith to get people riled up about the Knicks or Cowboys, but it's hard to get actual news on things that are important. 

I don't watch the knee jerk reaction takes.  My way of figuring this out is seeing what happens when the dust settles.