Heat defense playing with fire vs the highly ranked Hawks offense

JTB

Nothing shocking here….we all know that corner 3 been open all series. Unfortunately Hunter sees the opportunity the most throughout the game and hasn’t made the heat pay yet but then Bogi gets the same exact looks and has been killing the heat the past two 4th quarters!

also the Lowry impact is an odd one to me and not sure why it keeps being brought up that he’s hurt because at least on the defensive end they do the exact same thing when Lowry is on and off the floor and that’s showing double team extremely early nearly every time on their half court defensive setup!….heck after rewatching I noticed that they slightly do it out of habit even when Trae isn’t in the game but when he’s there they show it much harder (if that makes sense).

check out the bball breakdown below…one thing that I haven’t noticed is how much butler cheats in this defense. I fully expect the hawks to start exploiting this major flaw starting tonight and going forward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Two things in both those clips. In the first Miami's defense isn't set. In the second video they are.

Hawks/Trae need to stop walking the ball up court allowing Miami's defense to set. We are spending too much time playing against it.  We need to pick up the pace after a make or a miss - even if it means using the pass to get the ball up court quickly and trying to score quickly. If the play isn't there we can always bring it back out and reset. 

Trae's game winner was not against the set defense, guys were still scrambling backup...Bam was trailing the play.

I generally agree with what you are saying, but there needs to be a balance.   Playing faster also leads to more turnovers. That skip ahead pass you mentioned can get us in a lot trouble. If  Trae wants to play slow to keep the turnovers down, I'm for it. The Hawks have generally been good in the half courtand if Capela is back I'd expect more improvement there.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I generally agree with what you are saying, but there needs to be a balance.   Playing faster also leads to more turnovers. That skip ahead pass you mentioned can get us in a lot trouble. If  Trae wants to play slow to keep the turnovers down, I'm for it. The Hawks have generally been good in the half courtand if Capela is back I'd expect more improvement there.

It's the pass that leads to the pass. I'm not asking for Trae to try and pass the ball from the backcourt to the free throw line....it's more about the point of attack for our offense.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JTB said:

Nothing shocking here….we all know that corner 3 been open all series. Unfortunately Hunter sees the opportunity the most throughout the game and hasn’t made the heat pay yet but then Bogi gets the same exact looks and has been killing the heat the past two 4th quarters!

also the Lowry impact is an odd one to me and not sure why it keeps being brought up that he’s hurt because at least on the defensive end they do the exact same thing when Lowry is on and off the floor and that’s showing double team extremely early nearly every time on their half court defensive setup!….heck after rewatching I noticed that they slightly do it out of habit even when Trae isn’t in the game but when he’s there they show it much harder (if that makes sense).

check out the bball breakdown below…one thing that I haven’t noticed is how much butler cheats in this defense. I fully expect the hawks to start exploiting this major flaw starting tonight and going forward.

This tells me that if the Hawks consistently hit their wide open shots, the Heat will be forced to ease up on Trae. They're daring the "others" to beat them. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, hawkman said:

This tells me that if the Hawks consistently hit their wide open shots, the Heat will be forced to ease up on Trae. They're daring the "others" to beat them. 

Exactly 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

But I was told they were selling out to stop our shooters? 

Good breakdown to show we have the corner three open all game long. It's literally the best shot to get in basketball so hopefully we start making them pay. 

Despite what's been said on this forum, Miami knows Trae is the best player in this series. They aren't really focused on stopping anybody else but him. The Hawks have the personnel to take advantage. Another hot shooting quarter could hurt Miami enough for them to abandon their plan. The 4th quarter of Game 3 isn't enough. They have to come out hitting those open shots tonight. Once the "others" force Miami to let up on Trae for the remaining games of this series, Miami will be in serious trouble. It all starts with guys hitting wide open shots though. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hawkman said:

Despite what's been said on this forum, Miami knows Trae is the best player in this series. They aren't really focused on stopping anybody else but him. The Hawks have the personnel to take advantage. Another hot shooting quarter could hurt Miami enough for them to abandon their plan. The 4th quarter of Game 3 isn't enough. They have to come out hitting those open shots tonight. Once the "others" force Miami to let up on Trae for the remaining games of this series, Miami will be in serious trouble. It all starts with guys hitting wide open shots though. 

That is my hope…it may be worth it to play Bogi and Huerter along with Trae a bit more often tonight if the defense can somehow hold up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, JTB said:

That is my hope…it may be worth it to play Bogi and Huerter along with Trae a bit more often tonight if the defense can somehow hold up.

As long as we don't turn the ball over, I don't think our defense or lack of size is that big if a problem. Heat struggle to score in the half court and really aren't a big or athletic team. Play more Okongwu than Gallo for rebounding and D and we should be straight. I say we start 

Trae

Huerter

Hunter

Collins 

Okongwu 

Then bring in bogi for hunter after about 4 mins. 

Let's abuse their switching defense with slip screens and kickouts to the shooters. 

• Premium Member

First off, I am not going to be able to get "Down on the Corner, out in the street" out of my brain...  Thanks!!

But Think about this.

They outrebounded us by +20.  We shot like 52% from the field.   If we can continue to stop turning the ball over and if we can crash the boards a little better and get more rebounds.. And if our wings can hit the corner three with a slight higher percentage, we can blow Miami out in this upcoming game. 

Nate has been coaching.   You see it in front of you.     Give him a flower damnit. 

We just need to build on what we have discovered. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, SalvorMallow said:

As long as we don't turn the ball over, I don't think our defense or lack of size is that big if a problem. Heat struggle to score in the half court and really aren't a big or athletic team. I say we start 

Trae

Huerter

Hunter

Collins 

Okongwu 

Then bring in bogi for hunter after about 4 mins. 

Let's abuse their switching defense with slip screens and kickouts to the shooters. 

Did you mean Wright somewhere?

At any rate.. yeah.   They aren't that big.. only Dedman.  I also agree with not walking it up. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Did you mean Wright somewhere?

At any rate.. yeah.   They aren't that big.. only Dedman.  I also agree with not walking it up. 

Not as a starter but I think he needs 36 minutes. We gotta run more Trae bogi Huerter. It's our most potent offensive lineup. This lineup can get Trae loose and grab some O boards. 

Bogi Collins pnr would be nasty with Trae and Huerter available to run second actions or catch in the corner. 

27 minutes ago, SalvorMallow said:

Not as a starter but I think he needs 36 minutes. We gotta run more Trae bogi Huerter. It's our most potent offensive lineup. This lineup can get Trae loose and grab some O boards. 

Bogi Collins pnr would be nasty with Trae and Huerter available to run second actions or catch in the corner. 

I was thinking more about this “corner 3” thing ….Miami is leaving this open by default as it’s apart of their game plan. Would be a great time to use Trae in the corner instead of him standing at the top of the 3pt line once he gives the ball up… maybe we can let Bogi or Huerter run the pick from the top of the arc just so the ball can swing to Trae for a easy catch and shoot.

hopefully we see that stirred up a handful of times tonight.

13 minutes ago, JTB said:

I was thinking more about this “corner 3” thing ….Miami is leaving this open by default as it’s apart of their game plan. Would be a great time to use Trae in the corner instead of him standing at the top of the 3pt line once he gives the ball up… maybe we can let Bogi or Huerter run the pick from the top of the arc just so the ball can swing to Trae for a easy catch and shoot.

hopefully we see that stirred up a handful of times tonight.

The corner 3 is open because Trae is sucking drawing multiple defenders. They wont leave him open anywhere on the court just to double team anyone else in our lineup. They’d live with 1 on 1 matchups on anyone not named Trae until proven otherwise.

• Like 2

Our defense has been pretty solid. Miami’s offense consists of hero ball from Butler or Herro, up-fakes and cheap fouls from Butler and Bam, and open three’s from their role players.

All we have to do is play with more discipline on defense, as in, stay down on the up fakes, stay home on the shooters, and live with Butler and Herro trying to score tough shots one on one.

The small lineup works because we can switch on every ball screen instead playing in trail position and having to help off of a shooter.

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 2