• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lukastans are biting at the bit to take a shot at Trae

NBASupes

21 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Sounds like you're the one with hot take.  I'm just explaining your rationale. You haven't answered why YOU didn't have that same energy last year, but come here with it now? Are you a Lukastan? 

I can’t really explain it more clearly than I have. I’m definitely not getting into calling people stans. You guys keep fighting the good fight I guess.

4 minutes ago, High5 said:

I can’t really explain it more clearly than I have. I’m definitely not getting into calling people stans. You guys keep fighting the good fight I guess.

You explained it clearly. You said you were talking about the way people perceived Trae and Lukastans already believed Luka was great. 

The problem is you came in and declared Luka was great and we should look away from the playoff run Luka is having.  So you called yourself a Lukastan because of your own proclamation and definition. 

Still haven't answered why you didn't have that energy last year. 

Unless your statement was meant as sarcasm?

Edited by marco102

32 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You explained it clearly. You said you were talking about the way people perceived Trae and Lukastans already believed Luka was great. 

The problem is you came in and declared Luka was great and we should look away from the playoff run Luka is having.  So you called yourself a Lukastan because of your own proclamation and definition. 

Still haven't answered why you didn't have that energy last year. 

Unless your statement was meant as sarcasm?

Bro you’re on one lol. This thread was created to complain about people cutting Trae down, particularly when compared to Luka. I said all you can do is look away if that bothers you because it’s not going to stop until Trae and the Hawks redeem themselves. 

And, yeah, Luka is great. That’s not a hot take and doesn’t make me a “Lukastan”. I’ve defended and lifted up Trae as much as anyone, but sometimes you just have to take the L. 

Edited by High5
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, High5 said:

Bro you’re on one lol. This thread was created to complain about people cutting Trae down, particularly when compared to Luka. I said all you can do is look away if that bothers you because it’s not going to stop until Trae and the Hawks redeem themselves. 

And, yeah, Luka is great. That’s not a hot take and doesn’t make me a “Lukastan”. I’ve defended and lifted up Trae as much as anyone, but sometimes you just have to take the L. 

So Trae's not great because he did exactly what Luka did, but before him? Gotcha.

This is me showing you the fallacy in your logic. 

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

So Trae's not great because he did exactly what Luka did, but before him? Gotcha.

Theyre both great players but.............Trae's numbers got worse in the post season compared to reg season. Lukas numbers got better..

Trae 25.6 points 3 rebounds 9 assists 40% fg and 28% from 3 in his Playoff career

Luka 32.7 points 9 rebounds 8 assists 48% fg and 37% from 3 in his Playoff career

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Ok... so I have to ask..

Did Steph stop being a great player last year when his team lost the play-in game to the Memphis Grizz and he only became a great player again this year when they beat Memphis?

Did Steph have to redeem himself to be considered Great?

1) Comparing Trae to Steph is silly.

2) No one said Trae stopped being great. 

2 hours ago, marco102 said:

Show me where I said Trae isn't a great player. Also, if you wanna keep harping on the same things, let's be honest: would Trae have made the conference finals if he faced off against the Clippers instead of the Knicks? Luka still put up insane numbers in his series losses. Trae had one of the worst 5-game stretches of his professional career. There are logical fallacies and emotional responses in this thread, but they aren't coming from me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, High5 said:

Show me where I said Trae isn't a great player. Also, if you wanna keep harping on the same things, let's be honest: would Trae have made the conference finals if he faced off against the Clippers instead of the Knicks? Luka still put up insane numbers in his series losses. Trae had one of the worst 5-game stretches of his professional career. There are logical fallacies and emotional responses in this thread, but they aren't coming from me.

I'm not being emotional.  You may be. 

Like I said.  Why should we look away when Trae did the same thing last season against the toughest defenses in the league.  

Don't have a problem with you saying Trae had a bad series.  The look away Luka is so much better take is where the problem lies.  If you feel that way now, why weren't you spouting off when Trae was lighting up the Bucks for 48 pts in the ECF?

Recency bias is a real thing.

Y'all come out the wood work when we are down but won't say shit when we up.  Take your L and go to bed.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'm not being emotional.  

Take your L and go to bed.

lol

Also I've barely posted in the last few months when the Hawks were down. I posted tons more last season and I've always been one of the more optimistic posters. So that argument makes zero sense. And you're still not understanding my "look away" comment at all. No point in trying to explain it to you again. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, High5 said:

1) Comparing Trae to Steph is silly.

2) No one said Trae stopped being great. 

The comparison was Trae's greatness and Steph's greatness and how seemingly, Trae has to redeem himself after a rough loss but Steph doesn't.

Your hypocrisy is on showcase for all to see.

You inferred that Trae has lost his greatness when Marco compared the two Conference finals and you said that Luka was great and that Trae had to "redeem himself" before he could be mentioned with Luka.

So since you say comparing Trae to Steph is silly.. what other great player has to redeem himself after a hard loss before he can be considered great again?

I mean, in between the ECF and the hard loss... there was leading the league in Points and Assists.. and before you can say that anybody can do that, nobody has done that since 1975...  There was also the all NBA season he had.  There was also Ppg, Apg and 3pt% that no other PG in NBA history can match... Not even your boy Luka. 

But.. Trae has to redeem himself?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The comparison was Trae's greatness and Steph's greatness and how seemingly, Trae has to redeem himself after a rough loss but Steph doesn't.

Your hypocrisy is on showcase for all to see.

You inferred that Trae has lost his greatness when Marco compared the two Conference finals and you said that Luka was great and that Trae had to "redeem himself" before he could be mentioned with Luka.

So since you say comparing Trae to Steph is silly.. what other great player has to redeem himself after a hard loss before he can be considered great again?

I mean, in between the ECF and the hard loss... there was leading the league in Points and Assists.. and before you can say that anybody can do that, nobody has done that since 1975...  There was also the all NBA season he had.  There was also Ppg, Apg and 3pt% that no other PG in NBA history can match... Not even your boy Luka. 

But.. Trae has to redeem himself?

If Trae wants to be in the conversation with Luka he absolutely has to redeem himself. Steph has won more championships than Trae has won playoff series. One loss where he scores 39 isn’t going to put a dent in his reputation. Trae having more turnovers than assists and some of the worst shooting splits you’ll ever see in his 2nd playoff appearance is obviously more damaging.

And again, please point out where I said Trae wasn’t great. You keep making things up because you can’t argue the actual point.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, High5 said:

If Trae wants to be in the conversation with Luka he absolutely has to redeem himself. Steph has won more championships than Trae has won playoff series. One loss where he scores 39 isn’t going to put a dent in his reputation. Trae having more turnovers than assists and some of the worst shooting splits you’ll ever see in his 2nd playoff appearance is obviously more damaging.

And again, please point out where I said Trae wasn’t great. You keep making things up because you can’t argue the actual point.

There's no point to argue, each players' story is still being written. There's no conversation to be had when you're asking fans to reach conclusions on players as their careers are playing out. Who knows how their careers will pan out. There is nothing Luka has done to make me think he's a better player than Trae. If the goal for a team is to win a championship, then Trae has gotten us closer than Luka has done for the Mavs. Maybe Luka does the impossible, and takes the Mavs all the way this year. If he found a way to comeback against the Warriors then you can crown him. Otherwise as far as I'm concerened it's a wash until Luka or Trae get to the FInals.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Hey guys...what @High5is saying is pretty straight forward. Let's pretend the stats were reversed and Luka went out in thev1st round with Trae's stats while Trae had Luka's stats while in the conference finals...would the conversation be the same or would their be some homerism involved like  outright declaring Trae is better? I know I hope I never see this year's version of playoff Trae ever again.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, High5 said:

This sounds like some privilege stuff High 5.   Why is the bar so low for Luka?  Why does Trae have to do extra to put himself in the conversation?  I mean let's look at the comparison:

Rk Player Season Age G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1 Luka Dončić 2021-22 22 65 65 35.4 9.9 21.6 .457 3.1 8.8 .353 6.8 12.8 .528 .529 5.6 7.5 .744 0.9 8.3 9.1 8.7 1.2 0.6 4.5 2.2 28.4
2 Trae Young 2021-22 23 76 76 34.9 9.4 20.3 .460 3.1 8.0 .382 6.3 12.3 .512 .536 6.6 7.3 .904 0.7 3.1 3.7 9.7 0.9 0.1 4.0 1.7 28.4

Statistically....

• ppg = same.
  • rpg = Luka
  • apg = Trae
  • FG% = Trae
  • 3pt% = Trae
  • TOV = Trae
  • STL = Luka
  • BLK = Luka
  • PF = Trae
  • FT% = Trae
  • eFG% = Trae

Offensively, Trae dominates this conversation.  Defensively Luka is better.. but let's not act like Luka is a good defender.  His height gives him those slight advantages. 

But now, I guess, we have to talk about post season.

Luka - WCF with 1 win.

Trae -ECF with 2 wins

So because of what we see Statistically Luka is not better than Trae... and because we see that Luka has not done better Trae in the playoffs, the question is....

Why is Trae's Bar so high??  Why is he not in the conversation when he's statistically better and he's been to the same place in the playoffs?  Is this the hand of Privilege that we're seeing from you High 5?

I mean, you have Trae and a European player... do basically the same thing.. but you say that Trae is not in the same conversation?  You do realize that there is a media bias for Luka because he's from Europe?  Have you bought into that?

Please explain.

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Hey guys...what @High5is saying is pretty straight forward. Let's pretend the stats were reversed and Luka went out in thev1st round with Trae's stats while Trae had Luka's stats while in the conference finals...would the conversation be the same or would their be some homerism involved like  outright declaring Trae is better? I know I hope I never see this year's version of playoff Trae ever again.

If Luka went out in the first round but had been to the conference finals before, there would be no conversation suggestion that Luka had to prove himself.

Next year, does Lebron have to prove himself?  - No.

Next year, does KD have to do anything to prove himself? - No.

Next year, does Embiid have to prove himself? - No

Next year, does Siakim have to do anything to prove himself?  - No

Next year, does Jokic have to do anything to prove himself? - No

Wait... let's stop right there.  Joker went out in the first round.  He had a great year, but his team went out in the first round.  They lost in 5 games just like the Hawks.  Nobody would ever suggest that Jokic had to redeem himself?

What player has ever seen defense that Trae Young saw cooked up for him?  Maybe Jordan?  This is how Spoelstra describes it:

“It takes a ridiculous amount of multiple efforts,” Spoelstra said. “You have to extend your defense. We are basically extending it 94 feet just to try and get the ball out of his hands, to wear on him. That just makes the court bigger, so guys had to cover a lot of ground. It doesn’t always work perfectly, but if you are making those multiple efforts, you just have to try to make it tough. Our guys were really committed to that side of the floor through these five games.”

Spoelstra knew that Young was going to be the main player Miami would have to worry about throughout the series. He says that their gravitation towards defending Young was out of “great respect.”

“We had a little bit of the benefit of watching the play-in where they just torched Charlotte,” Spoelstra continued. “You could see that offensive firepower. Then the Cleveland game, you saw what Trae was able to do in that second half. That catches everybody’s attention. He’s a tough challenge. It really took everybody making multiple efforts to try and deny him the ball. Deny him some of his comfort stuff and do it with discipline.”

• Like 2

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Diesel said:

If Luka went out in the first round but had been to the conference finals before, there would be no conversation suggestion that Luka had to prove himself.

Next year, does Lebron have to prove himself?  - No.

Next year, does KD have to do anything to prove himself? - No.

Next year, does Embiid have to prove himself? - No

Next year, does Siakim have to do anything to prove himself?  - No

Next year, does Jokic have to do anything to prove himself? - No

Wait... let's stop right there.  Joker went out in the first round.  He had a great year, but his team went out in the first round.  They lost in 5 games just like the Hawks.  Nobody would ever suggest that Jokic had to redeem himself?

What player has ever seen defense that Trae Young saw cooked up for him?  Maybe Jordan?  This is how Spoelstra describes it:

You can't just judge the player on team success. You have to look at his contributions to the team's success and last year Trae was huge. This year was disastrous. Luka on the other had played well in previous years.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You can't just judge the player on team success. You have to look at his contributions to the team's success and last year Trae was huge. This year was disastrous. Luka on the other had played well in previous years.

That's BS...

How many times does Trae have to carry guys before he can get credit?

Luka and Ja's team's win without them.   Trae's team win because of him...

• Thanks 4