• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lukastans are biting at the bit to take a shot at Trae

NBASupes

• Moderators

Or just maybe Wiggins was always really good and just on a crummy team most of the time and now that he's in a functional environment it's helped him improve his game.  I'd certainly take Wiggins over any wing on our team right now.  

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 5/18/2022 at 10:13 PM, Diesel said:

Not so..

Here's what was said about Ayton prior to the draft:

As memory serves, Ayton was far and away #1 most of the year. 

He was a lock as soon as Phoenix got the #1 spot.   He played at AU.  He fit a positional need.  Plus he was highly skilled. 

If this database is accurate, D is correct about Ayton as the clear #1 in mocks.  (FWIW - there are some mocks on there with Trae at 3 and Doncic at 5 without a trade being involved).

https://walterfootball.com/nbadraftdata2018.php

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, marco102 said:

Sigh.  Look at the system Golden State runs and the players it has. It's not that he just improved. It's the players, system he is now in with a defined role.  He's not a first or second option like he was with Minnie which lead him to taking worst shots than he's taking with golden state.  More of his threes are catch and shoot opportunities compared to his time in Minnie.  

It's not just about the players. It's a combination of the system, players, and shot type.  I'll call you a genius if you can strawman that one. 

I'll give you this. His shot selection has improved so that is player improvement, but it's not just that he's improved. He's gone from a 1st or 2nd option to a 3rd or 4th option.

How was he a 4th option last year?  Who were the 1st 3 options?

8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

How was he a 4th option last year?

We talking about this year, but Steph played 63 games last season which goes back to my point of system and players he's surrounded by. 

Steph is numero uno.  Klay and Poole seem to be the 2nd and 3rd options.  Wiggins is from 3rd to 4th this season. 3rd or 4th doesn't mean only 4th this season.

How can one not see that things I mentioned contributed to his better three point shooting. You yourself always talk about shot selection.  He's taking more spot up attempts than pull up threes.  That will drive up your three point shooting. 

Edit - See @AHF's post below.   Thanks.

Edited by marco102

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Or just maybe Wiggins was always really good and just on a crummy team most of the time and now that he's in a functional environment it's helped him improve his game.  I'd certainly take Wiggins over any wing on our team right now.  

It is impossible to look at the numbers and not see the difference in GS as far as the types of shots he has:

2019-20 Minnesota 13.5% of 3pt shots are corner 3's

2021-22 Golden State 26.1% of 3pt shots are corner 3's

36% more of Wiggins' 2pt FGA are assisted in 2021-22 GS as compared to the % assisted in 2019-20 Minnesota  (13.2% increase in absolute terms)

22% more of Wiggins' 3pt FGA are assisted in 2021-22 GS as compared to the % assisted in 2019-20 Minnesota (16.2% increase in absolute terms)

He has gotten much better, much more open looks in GS.  For his 3pt%, the doubling of his number of corner 3's is especially huge for his % since he shot just over 44% on those attempts.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AHF said:

It is impossible to look at the numbers and not see the difference in GS as far as the types of shots he has:

2019-20 Minnesota 13.5% of 3pt shots are corner 3's

2021-22 Golden State 26.1% of 3pt shots are corner 3's

36% more of Wiggins' 2pt FGA are assisted in 2021-22 GS as compared to the % assisted in 2019-20 Minnesota  (13.2% increase in absolute terms)

22% more of Wiggins' 3pt FGA are assisted in 2021-22 GS as compared to the % assisted in 2019-20 Minnesota (16.2% increase in absolute terms)

He has gotten much better, much more open looks in GS.  For his 3pt%, the doubling of his number of corner 3's is huge for his %.

This also isn't me saying he hasn't improved like @Peoriabird has stated. It's that his role has changed and he's getting better looks in a better system because he's not the first or second option. 

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, marco102 said:

This also isn't me saying he hasn't improved like @Peoriabird has stated. It's that his role has changed and he's getting better looks in a better system because he's not the first or second option. 

Definitely both.  He was not a smart scorer or a two-way player in Minnesota.  He and Jordan Pool at the 3rd/4th options this season (14.0 and 13.9 FGA/gm) and playing that much more limited role on offense is really good for him.  When he was traded he was taking almost 19 shots a game in Minnesota.  He still isn't amazingly efficient but that .560% TS% this season (12th worst on GS among players with more than 600 minutes) looks a lot better than the dreadful .493% TS% he had his last full season in Minnesota.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I agree he has received better coach and you know I believe coaching matters but he shot 38% from 3 in 20-21 and he definitely was the 2nd option and then 1st when steph was out those 10 plus games

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

He still isn't amazingly efficient but that .560% TS% this season (12th worst on GS among players with more than 600 minutes) looks a lot better than the dreadful .493% TS% he had his last full season in Minnesota.

Its his dreadful free throw shooting dragging his efficiency down.

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

I agree he has received better coach and you know I believe coaching matters but he shot 38% from 3 in 20-21 and he definitely was the 2nd option and then 1st when steph was out those 10 plus games

A distant second option but agree he was the 2nd option on a terrible team.  (Curry 21.7 FGA/gm, Wiggins 14.9, Oubre 13.2)  Staying at that 14-15 shots a game was so much better than the ~18 he took a lot of the time for the T-Wolves.

FWIW, Curry missed 9 games and Wiggins took the most shots in 3 of those games.  Seemed to be a mix of Oubre, Wiggins, and Poole leading the way.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Its his dreadful free throw shooting dragging his efficiency down.

His Ft% stinks but if you take the free throws out of the equation his TS% is worse.  (This is because FT's are a super efficient means of adding points and you have to have a good efg% and be really wretched from the line to have them drag down your TS% ala Capela).

It looks like the Mavs have adjusted....

Off to a good start...GS better pick it up...

If they lose tonight, I think theyre going down....

I still say Mavs-Celtics Finals..2 best teams since the break..

GS shouldve lost to Memphis....

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, terrell said:

It looks like the Mavs have adjusted....

Off to a good start...GS better pick it up...

If they lose tonight, I think theyre going down....

I still say Mavs-Celtics Finals..2 best teams since the break..

GS shouldve lost to Memphis....

Mavs stay chucking and went on hot streaks followed by cold streaks.  I'm pulling for the Warriors to win it all at this point -- they play a really fun to watch brand of basketball.  When they keep TOs down, they look unstoppable.  And their defense functions as a cohesive unit, reminds me of the old Spurs with more flavor

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Mavs stay chucking and went on hot streaks followed by cold streaks.  I'm pulling for the Warriors to win it all at this point -- they play a really fun to watch brand of basketball.  When they keep TOs down, they look unstoppable.  And their defense functions as a cohesive unit, reminds me of the old Spurs with more flavor

Yeah me too.. 

I hope they sweep Dallas and the C's or Heat.. lol

They need to get at least 1 game in Dallas...

Dallas role players will play better at home..

Warriors gonna need Poole Porter etc to play well...

Edited by terrell

19 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Well yeah, in GS system I would. Not the Wiggins I saw in Minnesota