• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What do you think Huerter need to improve in on defense?

JTB

What’s your opinion of what Huerter need to do to improve on defense ?

is it getting a lot  stronger?

Defensive BBIQ improvement needed ?

do you think Huerter even has the capability to get better defensively?

need more aggressiveness defensively?

better focus on that end?

im just interested to know what the Squawk thoughts are because I will be honest …..there’s not a ton of SG upgrades out there this off season unless we land Lavine, Beal, or get a high draft pick without dismantling the team. I’m starting to believe we may end up with keeping Huerter at the 2 going into next season. 

Thoughts?

Edited by JTB

• JTB changed the title to What do you think Huerter need to improve in on defense?
  • Premium Member
8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Off the ball awareness and defensive rebounding.

Trae's awareness is bad, but Huerter's is worse.  Trae wil get caught in no man's land, while Huerter will just flat out lose people, especially in transition.

The other thing is the defensive rebounding.  Stop all of that ball watching when a shot goes up.  At least be aware where a defender may be, and put a body between him and the basket.  It's sickening when you go back and watch the offensive rebounds we give up.

This^^^^  Huerter's BBIQ is so disappointing.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trae's awareness is bad, but Huerter's is worse.  Trae wil get caught in no man's land, while Huerter will just flat out lose people, especially in transition.

The other thing is the defensive rebounding.  Stop all of that ball watching when a shot goes up.  At least be aware where a defender may be, and put a body between him and the basket.  It's sickening when you go back and watch the offensive rebounds we give up.

This pretty much sums it all up....add helping too deep in the paint when not needed making it difficult for him to get back to his man on the perimeter.

His defensive activity was just not the same as it was last season and it showed up in his steals 82 vs 56.

Some of this can also be attributed to Nate's defense and the changes he made to the scheme.

I'll try and find the article about how it affected the team particularly Hunter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

While I agree with your assessment….I chuckled at the thought of Huerter going hard after boards lol…sadly I can’t see or even imagine him doing that and that’s really damn shame.

I won’t call him soft (I don’t like to use that terminology even though I have). Lets just say he just doesn’t have that kind of aggressive nature to go get boards as you mentioned so it’s hard to see him change this …not just now but for his whole career.

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I agree with all of the above. But my biggest gripe with Huerter isn't his defense. It's his lack of toughness on the offensive end that's really limiting his development. He almost never gets to the line because he avoids contact at all cost despite being a good FT shooter.  If Huerter could get to the line 4-5 times AND show better awareness on the defensive end, we're talking about a completely different player. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JTB said:

Lets just say he just doesn’t have that kind of aggressive nature to go get boards as you mentioned so it’s hard to see him change this …not just now but for his whole career.

Huerter's thing has always been his consistency and staying engaged from game to game.

I checked his high for rebounds this past season was 11....then had about 6 games with 7 and 8 rebounds.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, hawkman said:

I agree with all of the above. But my biggest gripe with Huerter isn't his defense. It's his lack of toughness on the offensive end that's really limiting his development. He almost never gets to the line because he avoids contact at all cost despite being a good FT shooter.  If Huerter could get to the line 4-5 times AND show better awareness on the defensive end, we're talking about a completely different player. 

Combine him and Bogi into one player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I don't know what happened to this team...In those clips the entire team was engaged on defense.  This year was a totally different story.

Too many players with offseason procedures so limited training camp and preseason games. They just never seem to get in rhythm on a string on defense, plus Nate's changes to the defense as well.

His footwork seemed to be considerably better during the Nate Honeymoon Run.  Arm activity too.  We’ve seen his potential to be a plus team defender.

Easy answer for me is play more alongside Differential Delon.  Only one lineup registered on Basketball Reference with both on floor along with Bogi/ Gallo/ OO: 73 minutes, +9 points per 100 possessions.  Mixing in Healthy Clint and Healthy Dre would’ve been even more fruitful on the winning end.

• Like 2