• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins trade watch

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Since there are so many report about John being traded even after not being included in the Murray trade, I though I would make a separate thread in case there is some breaking news or rumor from our insiders indicating an imminent trade. Personally, I have never understood the notion that Collins has to go but apparently I'm in the minority. If we are out of the Gobert/Ayton sweep stakes, what other trades would even make sense? Draft picks just to get under the luxury Tax? Would it not make more sense to use Bogi's contract to reduce the pay roll instead? Or why not just wait until the trade deadline. It just seems as though the Hawks are shooting themselves in the foot devaluing John  by making it obvious that John is not a part of the Hawk's future.

• Like 4

It's complex for sure.  JC is an awesome player and person.  I think the dollars and the fit are part of this, but also he has value.  Bogi's salary is smaller and is off our books quicker.  That said, I'm not sure moving Collins is something we are definitely doing.   

We just had a killer trade with Murray and we still have a full offseason with more moves coming.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

It's complex for sure.  JC is an awesome player and person.  I think the dollars and the fit are part of this, but also he has value.  Bogi's salary is smaller and is off our books quicker.  That said, I'm not sure moving Collins is something we are definitely doing.   

We just had a killer trade with Murray and we still have a full offseason with more moves coming.  

Hope you are right but one of the insiders is still predicting an Ayton trade, Okungwu at power forward while John is traded for a protected 1st and a back up center.

I would think JC has more value than Bogie as he's the better player and still young.  Yes, his contract is bigger and longer than Bogie's but I would think most teams would still rather take on JC than Bogie.  So maybe they shop JC more so because he's the asset that will bring the biggest return, theoretically.  Still need to find the right match.

Personally, I would prefer to NOT trade JC unless it's part of a package to get an elite player that clearly upgrades the roster. Not sure who that would be though. Just don't like the idea of dumping a player of JC's value for money reasons.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

I would think JC has more value than Bogie as he's the better player and still young.  Yes, his contract is bigger and longer than Bogie's but I would think most teams would still rather take on JC than Bogie.  So maybe they shop JC more so because he's the asset that will bring the biggest return, theoretically. 

What else is this team looking for in return and who would help the Hawks more than Collins at this point? If we are merely trying to reduce the pay roll who cares what the return is?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Since there are so many report about John being traded even after not being included in the Murray trade, I though I would make a separate thread in case there is some breaking news or rumor from our insiders indicating an imminent trade. Personally, I have never understood the notion that Collins has to go but apparently I'm in the minority. If we are out of the Gobert/Ayton sweep stakes, what other trades would even make sense? Draft picks just to get under the luxury Tax? Would it not make more sense to use Bogi's contract to reduce the pay roll instead? Or why not just wait until the trade deadline. It just seems as though the Hawks are shooting themselves in the foot devaluing John  by making it obvious that John is not a part of the Hawk's future.

I believe and could be wrong that there might be too much water under the bus with John.  It also appears that he wants to be featured more in the offense ( stepping back and letting Clint be the pick and roll guy).  The Hawks know he is very valuable which is why he hasn't been traded yet.

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What else is this team looking for in return and who would help the Hawks more than Collins at this point? If we are merely trying to reduce the pay roll who cares what the return is?

This is why the Collins straight up for a lottery pick trade didn't make sense, it would have had to be part of a larger deal to make the team and PF position better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

If we're keeping Cap, I'd want to keep JC.

If we're bringing Ayton in, I'm good trading JC because there's a lot of overlap there in their games. Unleash OO.

I think JC and Cap overlap more. At least offensively. 

I hope hawks keep him and don’t sell low. Don’t want a downgrade and a pick. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I believe and could be wrong that there might be too much water under the bus with John.  It also appears that he wants to be featured more in the offense ( stepping back and letting Clint be the pick and roll guy).  The Hawks know he is very valuable which is why he hasn't been traded yet.

What is meant by the phrase " He wants to be featured in the offense" mean? What evidence do you have that supports this assertion?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we are doing too much at this point. 

There are no upgrades out there for us at PF. We have only been linked to Centers via trade. I don’t see how we add a 30 million dollar center to the roster and keep Capela.

Yet somehow it’s still JC we are focusing on.

We have too many wings and only one starting caliber PF. What are we really talking about here?

We could literally just bring back Wright right now and be done tweaking. We would still have the flexibility to make moves as needed during the season if we don’t like the available trades.

Trae, Wright, Coop

Murray, Bogi, Martin, Mays

Dre, Kev, AJ

JC, JJ

CC, OO

We have a need for some reserve bigs but that’s about it.

• Like 3