• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Filling out the roster

sturt

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, sturt said:
50 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think I don't know what to think now that this Crowder thing has come up... I felt more safe taking your position ever since the Harkless trade... secure, even.

I'm no longer secure. I can't make sense of the reported interest in Crowder if it makes us go over the tax line, but I also can't make sense of the interest in Crowder if it makes us lose an asset like BogBog or Jalen.

If Shams had not reported this as such, I would see it as a more recent conversation in 'recent days'.....

"Shams reports the Hawks and Suns have talked “in recent weeks and months” about Jae Crowder."

......Which I think would have been prior to the Mo trade (Sept 28th) and when the Suns and Jae mutually agreed to find a trade (Sept 22nd ish) and he would not report to training camp.

So my thought is, Hawks did their due diligence regarding Jae prior to the actual trade but is only now being reported.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If Shams had not reported this as such, I would see it as a more recent conversation in 'recent days'.....

"Shams reports the Hawks and Suns have talked “in recent weeks and months” about Jae Crowder."

......Which I think would have been prior to the Mo trade (Sept 28th) and when the Suns and Jae mutually agreed to find a trade (Sept 22nd ish) and he would not report to training camp.

So my thought is, Hawks did their due diligence regarding Jae prior to the actual trade but is only now being reported.

Very plausible.

But then Fischer seems to be persuaded that it's still an active conversation, so I don't know what to do with that. I was a leading critic of Fischer before, but I've had to give him his due this off-season... he's at least ascended to the "legit" category.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, sturt said:

Very plausible.

But then Fischer seems to be persuaded that it's still an active conversation, so I don't know what to do with that. I was a leading critic of Fischer before, but I've had to give him his due this off-season... he's at least ascended to the "legit" category.

This is from Fischer's latest article yesterday.........which I don't see as anything 'NEW' 

Along with Miami, inquiring teams have been told Atlanta is Crowder’s other preferred landing spot. While the Hawks have made calls about injured wing Bogdan Bogdanovic, a potential framework of Crowder and Landry Shamet for Bogdanovic has made the rounds among front-office personnel, although one source with knowledge of the situation claimed Shamet is not part of any active Suns conversations with Atlanta. The Hawks and Suns have had dialogue on Crowder throughout the summer.

Several league executives wondered whether the Hawks would be willing to part with De’Andre Hunter amid his ongoing extension conversations with Atlanta, but Crowder alone would seem far too little compensation for the Hawks to consider. The Hawks told rival teams Hunter was unavailable for trade this summer.

Perhaps there’s a three-team framework with Atlanta in which the Hawks could send a young player and salary, such as Justin Holiday’s contract, to Phoenix, which the Suns could re-route and obtain a different player on their wish list. Rockets forward K.J. Martin, another forward known to have interest in playing elsewhere, is one player the Suns have held ongoing talks about obtaining, sources said.

The Suns’ curious handling of Jae Crowder creates more questions than answers (yahoo.com)

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

although one source with knowledge of the situation claimed Shamet is not part of any active Suns conversations with Atlanta.

Think you're working hard to get around the implicit premise here... ie, that there are (present tense) "active" conversations as far as Fischer assesses it. Indeed, if Fischer thought there were no active conversations, then it would seem more reasonable for him to say that.

• Premium Member

So, I find this interesting... not compelling, but interesting... didn't know...

Why?

I'd thought, even if we had the room and the want to do so, we couldn't re-sign Mo Harkless.

Grand Poobah of Spotrac says otherwise, if you substitute Mo for Fitts, HOU for LAC, OKC for IND, and Atlanta for Boston.

3 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Not sure if we can get anything done but would love to see more grinders on the bench like Crowder, Favors. Make a deep defensive bench.

I think we will be okay in the scoring department.

Favors is washed

We don't have the money to make a Crowder deal work either 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Favors is washed

Have to contest this, my friend.

Based on?

Favors has barely played ball since 2020-21. OKC effectively gave Favors the Horford treatment... just 653 minutes total floor time last season... ends up that that didn't turn out too badly for his next team.

And Horford was 34. Favors is 31.

Favors' career at 31 looks a lot like Grant Long's at 31... except that Long didn't get the career time-out that Favors has, of course.

Grant Long had 4 more positive VORP years left, and 1 of those was even 1.0+.

He's not the asset that Crowder would be mainly b/c he's not an outside shooter. But in every other way, he's Crowder's equal. Moreover, he gives you significantly more size.

For the money, and in light of the sacrifices it almost certainly would take to get Crowder, and in light of the attitude toward the tax line... best move FO can make today or tomorrow is to create the slight additional space to sign Favors.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sturt said:

Have to contest this, my friend.

Based on?

Favors has barely played ball since 2020-21. OKC effectively gave Favors the Horford treatment... just 653 minutes total floor time last season... ends up that that didn't turn out too badly for his next team.

And Horford was 34. Favors is 31.

Favors' career at 31 looks a lot like Grant Long's at 31... except that Long didn't get the career time-out that Favors has, of course.

Grant Long had 4 more positive VORP years left, and 1 of those was even 1.0+.

He's not the asset that Crowder would be mainly b/c he's not an outside shooter. But in every other way, he's Crowder's equal. Moreover, he gives you significantly more size.

For the money, and in light of the sacrifices it almost certainly would take to get Crowder, and in light of the attitude toward the tax line... best move FO can make today or tomorrow is to create the slight additional space to sign Favors.

Agreed.  He's a body, at the very least.  Girth we don't have.  It was painful watching the PeliCan'ts center bullying us and us not having a warm body to throw at him.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

He's a body, at the very least. 

And I'd add, it's hard to find someone as mobile as he is with that size. Can't say for a fact that it's still this way b/c we just haven't seen him on a competitive team for awhile, but when he was last seen with one, among the things he was admired for was that he was exceptional at defending stretch bigs on the perimeter, as well as inside.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, gHost83 said:

Daeqwon Plowden is available 👀

I thought that Plowden played very well against us... Aside from that lucky shot, I thought that offensively and defensively he showed a lot.   So sorry to see him cut.

2 hours ago, sturt said:

And I'd add, it's hard to find someone as mobile as he is with that size. Can't say for a fact that it's still this way b/c we just haven't seen him on a competitive team for awhile, but when he was last seen with one, among the things he was admired for was that he was exceptional at defending stretch bigs on the perimeter, as well as inside.

Whitesides!!

• Premium Member

Best route to getting Favors I can devise.... but the idea could be upended at any moment, maybe even before I click "submit," and you'll see why...

Since avoiding the tax line is a priority, that requires creating some new space.

Shams reported yesterday that OKC intends to waive David Nwaba. It's not actually been reported to be done, though, and OKC has until tomorrow @ 5pm to settle on their 14 or 15 like everyone else.

David Nwaba ($5.0m) to ATL for

Justin Holiday ($6.2m) to OKC... plus $1.2m cash to make up the difference in salary... plus as much as $5.1m more (the allowable cash that can be sent out or received for this season is $6.3m total).

After which, of course, it's to be anticipated that OKC would cut Holiday just like they'd intended to cut Nwaba.

OKC does it b/c they get some if not complete cash relief from the dead money they were going to be committing.

ATL gets $1.2m more maneuvering room below the tax line, plus a fairly well regarded defensive wing asset... and with that additional room, the FO not only can sign Derrick Favors, but even accommodate most of the contractual bonuses that Jay's apparently convinced they're so worried about at season's end.

And we don't even part with a draft pick, oh by the way.

And Krejci fans rejoice... he remains a Hawk... or more accurately I suppose, a Skyhawk.

And fans of having a full roster available instead of just 14... like me... rejoice, too. That happens.

And fans of Griffin having a clear path to the starting rotation, you get to yell "yay," too.

Who says no?

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Diesel said:

3 hours ago, sturt said:

Whitesides!!

I won't cry if that happened, but...

Favors has strong ties to ATL, of course.

And. It seems a little odd that you'd quote what I wrote there.... Whiteside can't do that.