• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Filling out the roster

sturt

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I would surmise Tyson Etienne gets the other 2way deal now?

Odd timing. Who's in the ATL offices on a Sunday?

If my theory holds, it's all about their comfort level that BogBog's health is good and he's going to be ready to go (... as well as the rest of the wing corps).

So, imo, this is a good sign.

And yeah, when Etienne was signed so soon after the draft, there was immediate reason for suspicion that the Hawks were just looking for a way to get him into the barn. Hard to say at what point they realized Cooper was a candidate to be released, but it's natural to think that the two considerations were/are connected... both being highly-regarded young offense-first PG assets.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, sturt said:

Odd timing. Who's in the ATL offices on a Sunday?

If my theory holds, it's all about their comfort level that BogBog's health is good and he's going to be ready to go (... as well as the rest of the wing corps).

So, imo, this is a good sign.

And yeah, when Etienne was signed so soon after the draft, there was immediate reason for suspicion that the Hawks were just looking for a way to get him into the barn. Hard to say at what point they realized Cooper was a candidate to be released, but it's natural to think that the two considerations were/are connected... both being highly-regarded young offense-first PG assets.

Speaking of Cooper, what if they are planning on resigning him to a 2Way 🤔 :huh::ph34r::laugh1:

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Campazzo

You have 3 PGs on the roster, the third of which is anticipated to play maybe 6-8 minutes since each of the first two are anticipated to be on the floor for 30+ min every game.

You have a 4th PG on a two-way.

Meanwhile, you have only 5 legitimate bigs on the roster, one of those coming off 4 consecutive years of significant injury.

But you want to fill that last full-timer roster slot with another PG? Huh?

"Why even add another PG as a two-way, then?"

Forrest provides some coverage if you lose Murray for a few games, replicating his size and some of his same skill set.

Etienne would provide the same if you lose Trae for a few games for the same reasons.

We need more beef.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Recent minor move.

Brown, on a 2-way contract, has been waived by the Hawks.  This opens up that spot for someone.  Anyone have any ideas about who will get this spot?

🧑‍🔧

I had a thought about another point guard but Sturt wants beef 🥩. He wants beef sent from OKC (but no surf please, just the turf’ll do). 

Is Favors free yet?

1 hour ago, sturt said:

We need more beef.

See gramps, he’s literally asking for it. :rofl:

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, sturt said:

You have 3 PGs on the roster, the third of which is anticipated to play maybe 6-8 minutes since each of the first two are anticipated to be on the floor for 30+ min every game.

You have a 4th PG on a two-way.

Meanwhile, you have only 5 legitimate bigs on the roster, one of those coming off 4 consecutive years of significant injury.

But you want to fill that last full-timer roster slot with another PG? Huh?

"Why even add another PG as a two-way, then?"

Forrest provides some coverage if you lose Murray for a few games, replicating his size and some of his same skill set.

Etienne would provide the same if you lose Trae for a few games for the same reasons.

We need more beef.

I agree with all of this. Having taken a deeper look at JHol and Mo - they've played more at SG and SF respectively than SF and PF. Revamped roster positions:

PG: Young, A. Holiday, [Etienne]
SG: Murray, Bogi, Martin
SF: Hunter, J. Holiday, Mo Harkless, Griffin
PF: Collins, Johnson
C - Capela, Okongwu, Kaminsky

Johnson is the unknown and like you said Kaminsky is a walking injury (last 4 seasons 47, 39, 47, 9 games played).

• Premium Member

Remaining FA Cs and PFs:

Centers

• Premium Member

looks like the last spot is going to Jarett Culver.  They just signed him.

I wonder if this is a move for Trae?  I've long hypothesized that Trae and Culver are probably good friends even though I have no proof of that.  They're the same age.  Culver is from Lubbock and I'm pretty sure Trae spent part of his youth in Lubbock.  Trae's dad played for Texas Tech in Lubbock.

So I've always assumed they are buddies.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Found this blurb on Culver... telling..

Jarrett Culver is gone. He was a divisive player among the Timberwolves faithful. Some felt that his flashes were representative of the player he could be — a lockdown defender who could handle the rock and create opportunities for his teammates. They wanted to see the Jarrett Culver from last year’s preseason who shot 57% from the 3-point line. Other fans had lost hope and thought that if the Wolves could dump him without giving up additional assets, that would be a win for the franchise.

The fact is, Culver was a disappointment. One can put the blame on organizational instability, COVID-19, or a lack of playing time, but the disappointment still remains. Since entering the league, Culver ranks in the bottom five in VORP, BPM, Win Shares, and True Shooting Percentage among players who logged at least 1,800 NBA minutes since the 2019-20 season. Rookies are almost always negative players, but Culver’s lack of progression made Gersson Rosas’s decision to jump ship easy.

Many Rosas critics are quick to cite the Culver trade in 2019. To review: The Timberwolves traded pick No. 11 and Dario Saric to the Phoenix Suns for pick No. 6. On its face, a solid value proposition. But Phoenix drafted Cam Johnson, who has been a far superior player to Culver, and Dario Saric played key minutes for the Suns, a team that reached the NBA finals this past year. Trading Saric and the pick that would eventually become Johnson left the Wolves with egg on their face and Eggman (my affectionate name for Culver) on their roster. Consequently, Minnesota has been unable to find a solution at the power forward position while also being one of the worst teams in the league over the last two seasons.

• Thanks 4

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I don't think its a bad pickup ... maybe he needs a change of address.

Which is about what's been said at each of his previous dozen stops in, what, 4 seasons?

I have to agree that it's not a bad pickup... but at the same time, it's not one that I get excited about.... but at the same time, it's not like I get all that excited about two-way contracts anyhow.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, shakes said:

last spot is going to Jarett Culver

Possible that that's the intention... reminiscent of the TLC vs. Okafor camp competition last year, but Culver vs. Silva this year for the #15.

I'm rooting for Silva if that's the case, of course. Tired of being out-beefed.

Wings? We don't need no more stinkin wings.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Found this blurb on Culver... telling..

Insane how this dude's stock has dropped.  This was MY guy in 2019...  That's crazy to me....and equally crazy that the Hawks are actually signing him.  

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, sturt said:

Which is about what's been said at each of his previous dozen stops in, what, 4 seasons?

I have to agree that it's not a bad pickup... but at the same time, it's not one that I get excited about.... but at the same time, it's not like I get all that excited about two-way contracts anyhow.

What do you mean?  isn't it 2 teams in 3 seasons?

• Haha 1