• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Effect of New Take Foul Rule on the Hawks

benhillboy

12 hours ago, kg01 said:

I wish 10 yo kg could've met 10yo benhill.  We could've set you on a path to greatness.... 

When I was 10 I had the drawing skills and music tastes of a 20 year old, I doubt that 😆 

My bad I triggered you giving Ja a compliment.  Won’t happen again 

Edited by benhillboy

4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

When I was 10 I had the drawing skills and music tastes of a 20 year old, I doubt that 😆 

My bad I triggered you giving Ja a compliment.  Won’t happen again 

Wait, where did you give Ja a compliment?  I missed that part.  Had I seen it ...... whoo boy, this mightve taken a dark turn.

😄

12 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Would that account for sexier analytical stats? 

:boast:

If they were proficient at converting And 1s and above average passing from the block hell yeah, see Embiid’s career 4.5 offensive box in a three point shooting era.  If not, see Dwight Howard’s career offensive box of .9 playing a majority of his career in an era where post play was still prevalent.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So far i was wrong about the new rule.  It has really opened up fast breaks.  Makes no sense to me actually but i think we're seeing guys scared to foul at all in transition.  I expect that changes as we get to the end of the season.   It makes no sense that teams were willing to give a take foul but now won't actually foul to stop a break.  All they have to do is reach in and get a hand on the ball or even hammer them at the rim.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

So far i was wrong about the new rule.  It has really opened up fast breaks.  Makes no sense to me actually but i think we're seeing guys scared to foul at all in transition.  I expect that changes as we get to the end of the season.   It makes no sense that teams were willing to give a take foul but now won't actually foul to stop a break.  All they have to do is reach in and get a hand on the ball or even hammer them at the rim.  

It's forcing guys to make a play on the ball in lieu of just wrapping up a guy.

The was no consequence for the take foul but a regular foul - now it's a freethrow by ANY player AND the ball back. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's forcing guys to make a play on the ball in lieu of just wrapping up a guy.

The was no consequence for the take foul but a regular foul - now it's a freethrow by ANY player AND the ball back. 

Yeah but you're not even seeing guys make a hard play on the ball.  I guess for fear of it being called a take foul.   But my point is if you were willing to foul to stop the break before why not keep doing it.  It's not that hard to foul while making a play on the ball.  

I’m pretty sure teamrankings.com’s fast break efficiency stat is PPP.  It has helped the Hawk’s offense significantly (2.18 PPP) despite giving up a pretty solid PPP on the defensive end at 1.98.  Still an advantage I’ll take it.  Indiana at 2.78 goddamn they canning threes and And 1s like crazy.

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

I was 100% wrong on the effect of this.  I thought there would be hard fouls in transition, but mainly the refs quickly called any transition foul a take foul whether it was a real attempt on the ball or not.  So guys just quit completely which is what the league wanted.   It's kind of a huge artificial advantage to the offense when the defense in transition knows they can't even get close to guys but again that's what the league wanted.  

• Like 2