• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Effect of New Take Foul Rule on the Hawks

benhillboy

Last season the Hawks were DEAD LAST in fast break points at 9.5 per.  Middle of the pack in allowing fast break points at 12th (12 points per coincidentally). 

It seems like Kevin was the one usually in position to make those wrap up fouls, he gone. I’m gonna need some hard floor-running from Dre in transition as well as his steals to improve from just .7.  I know Murray is gonna steal the ball, some dunk finishes from in the open court from him are desperately needed.

How do y’all see this aspect playing out over the season as it relates to the Hawks?  The report from the NBA says the rule basically eliminated all take fouls in the G-League, which is f&@kin awesome IMO.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Last season the Hawks were DEAD LAST in fast break points at 9.5 per.  Middle of the pack in allowing fast break points at 12th (12 points per coincidentally). 

It seems like Kevin was the one usually in position to make those wrap up fouls, he gone. I’m gonna need some hard floor-running from Dre in transition as well as his steals to improve from just .7.  I know Murray is gonna steal the ball, some dunk finishes from in the open court from him are desperately needed.

How do y’all see this aspect playing out over the season as it relates to the Hawks?  The report from the NBA says the rule basically eliminated all take fouls in the G-League, which is f&@kin awesome IMO.

Personally I think the no-take foul rule will lead to more injuries. Hopefully our guys can avoid that. But I think this team will be drastically different this year. We will generate a ton of fast break opportunities especially with DM and JJ on the court.  Also I think Clint will be back in shape running the court like he normally does. Our defense will be better in general which will lead to more break opportunities. The only problem with that style of play is that it leaves a ton of time on the clock for the other team to score. That is why Nate likes to slow down the offense and play with a slower pace. It will be interesting to see what Nate commits to. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Take foul was Bogi's go to move as well as Gallo's....Gallo is gone, that leaves Bogi having to give effort on defense.

Murray’s defensive rebounding will help our fast break opportunities.

Bogi and Gallo were the kings of the take foul.  Used to make me sick when they did it, because sometimes, we'd even have people back on defense and they'd do it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

Personally I think the no-take foul rule will lead to more injuries…

How so?  You mean high-speed collisions/ dirty plays at or above the rim?  I’m willing to accept that for dunks, 2-on-1s, and chase down blocks to be commonplace instead of blue-moon rarities.  Lame-brained, average shooters who will still stop at the three point line instead of filling the lane notwithstanding lol.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators
2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

How so?  You mean high-speed collisions/ dirty plays at or above the rim?  I’m willing to accept that for dunks, 2-on-1s, and chase down blocks to be commonplace instead of blue-moon rarities.  Lame-brained, average shooters who will still stop at the three point line instead of filling the lane notwithstanding lol.

I think this rule is going to be a disaster.  So instead of taking the foul guys are forced to hammer at the ball to stop the fast break.  I don't know why people think this will lead to 'defense'.  Guys are still going to try to foul to stop the break but now it has to be a 'real' foul.   

And a secondary concern, if there's a break and you foul them at the rim or wrap them up is that a take foul?  

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Kevin?  What?  Did you even watch last season?  If I had to pick out one play that summarized our entire season it would be an endless loop of Bogi take fouls.  You wouldn't even need a loop cause he did so many of them it would probably be endless even without the loop.

My favorite was when he took a take foul at our free throw line when we had 3 guys back at the basket and the guy fouled was able to get continuation for an and 1.    Followed of course by Bogi's signature move of putting his hands on his head in the ooopsie pose.

I'm half surprised Bogi didn't retire this summer after they got rid of the take fouls.

Edited by shakes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, shakes said:

Kevin?  What?  Did you even watch last season?  If I had to pick out one play that summarized our entire season it would be an endless loop of Bogi take fouls.  You wouldn't even need a loop cause he did so many of them it would probably be endless even without the loop.

My favorite was when he took a take foul at our free throw line when we had 3 guys back at the basket and the guy fouled was able to get continuation for an and 1.    Followed of course by Bogi's signature move of putting his hands on his head in the ooopsie pose.

I'm half surprised Bogi didn't retire this summer after they got rid of the take fouls.

My bad I must’ve had my white wings mixed up.  You’re right though it’s a huuuuge gap between Bogi’s 2.1 fouls in 29.3 minutes to Kevin’s 2.5 in 29.6.

• Premium Member

I think most of Kevins fouls last year were just him being too slow to stay in front of guys and not being able to defend without fouling, whereas Bogi was the take foul maestro.  With that said, I think the rule change will be neutral impact for us.  Murray should help A LOT with transition offense.  Not only is he a secondary ball handler but he has more size than Trae and Trae can run to the corner in transition and open up the lanes for other guys to get to the rim easily.  

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

My bad I must’ve had my white wings mixed up.  You’re right though it’s a huuuuge gap between Bogi’s 2.1 fouls in 29.3 minutes to Kevin’s 2.5 in 29.6.

are you saying that we all look alike?   

Also is that stat you posted just for take fouls or all fouls?  I assume all fouls since I don't think even Bogi could average 2.1 take fouls per game.  Assuming it is for all fouls then my response is......

OBJECTION YOUR HONOR......RELEVANCE.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Yes, that’s what I mean. The whole reason they do the take foul is because they intend to foul them and not let them score but they let the ref know. Now they will just watch the player get a free lay up or run and pretend like they are making a play on the ball with the intention of fouling them while they are in the act of a fast break dunk or lay up. People are going to be hurt by this. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 1:59 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I like it!

I appreciate the changes no doubt, I just hate they take so long.  James Harden going to the line 27 times a game should’ve lasted ONE SEASON.  The disgusting pump fake and launch three point fouls should’ve lasted ONE SEASON.  

If someone would’ve told 10 year old me that the NBA would create a loophole where fast breaks are all but eliminated I would’ve fainted.  That ridiculous Ja block last night doesn’t happen last season.  Dr. J is only Julius Erving with that foolishness in place.

Now if we can get these Bigs back to the basket game in order the league will be cooking with Crisco again.

Edited by benhillboy

48 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I appreciate the changes no doubt, I just hate they take so long.  James Harden going to the line 27 times a game should’ve lasted ONE SEASON.  The disgusting pump fake and launch three point fouls should’ve lasted ONE SEASON.  

If someone would’ve told 10 year old me that the NBA would create a loophole where fast breaks are all but eliminated I would’ve fainted.  That ridiculous Ja block last night doesn’t happen last season.  Dr. J is only Julius Erving with that foolishness in place.

Now if we can get these Bigs back to the basket game in order the league will be cooking with Crisco again.

I wish 10 yo kg could've met 10yo benhill.  We could've set you on a path to greatness.... 

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 1