• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Resselers Ownership is worst than the Atlanta Spirit Group

JTB

12 hours ago, JTB said:

You know after years of Tony Resseler saying he’s not afraid of the luxury tax…when it came down to him proving it, he failed the whole organization and team.

He didn’t even take a chance on the team. I thought as a hawks fan once we heard an owner of our favorite team publicly putting it out there that he’d do what’s best for the team even if that meant paying luxury tax then I thought that’s what we’ll get but I’ll never be fooled by that garbage again. Credit @JayBirdHawk …she was the one poster I recall that kept saying “we’ll see” 

Tony just learned what to say to the media and knew hawk fans would listen to it and buy into it due to the history of poor ownership..… unfortunately Tony can be added to the list of failed Hawks owners. At this point at least to me he’s a compulsive liar!  He just easily bent the truth to keep the belief strong because he wasn’t facing the action of proving himself.

I saw someone compare Tony Resseler to Jerry Jones in terms of trying to run things for betterment of their franchise but see there’s a difference even there …Jerry loves his cowboys and always has similar to Dr. Buss for the Lakers. Sometimes they make bad mistakes but Money is no object for their franchises. Tony Resseler cannot be mentioned in the same breath as those two. He don’t have the same passion for Atlanta and that’s unfortunate.

At least with the ASG you KNEW they were cheap. Wasn’t no setup or public interviews of bullshit like Tony has done……Gearon and those guys made it known they were cheap asses! Didn’t sugarcoat a thing!….and looking back at it now , while the ASG definitely frustrated me and I’m sure many others…..I can at least say that I appreciate the honesty!

A few of our insider folks once said that Hawks org are lurkers here on the Squawk. Well I sure hope someone close to Resseler see this so maybe he sells the team to a passionate Atlanta owner. He’s not True to Atlanta. This is nothing but another investment to him. We talk so much about Trae, Mcmillian, Collins, Schlenk, Fields and others but the guy who sits at the top should be talked about more.

Fire Mcmillian is alive and well ….when will it be time for the sale the team Resseler movement to start ???

I guarantee coaching staff lurks on here and I know Trae daddy is on here. And Trae is KD lite on social media 

2 hours ago, AHF said:

It sounds like if Ressler had said something like "We aren't in a position to go into the luxury tax now but I think there will come a day when we do.  I'll be excited to share that with the fan base when we do so but until then we are going to build the best team possible without going into the tax" then there would be no question that Ressler is 100x better than the ASG. 

Ressler can't make this statement without throwing the current team under the bus.  He would be saying publically that they aren't good enough to win a championship.  I don't think he necessarily lied in his statements this offseason and before about the tax.  He just basically said we aren't scared of it.  That doesn't mean that we will pay it every year or that we won't. 

We were a play in team who got smoked in the 1st round, and Huerter was going to be a bench guy after the Murray trade.  We also drafted an SG and still had Bogi on the roster who was supposed to be back a lot sooner.  Huerter was also bad on defense and we had 3 straight years of Huerters numbers being exactly the same.  JH had similar numbers, was cheaper and a better defender.  What Ressler didn't take into account was Huerter potentially improving, and JH declining.  On paper at the time it was a small downgrade in on court performance, a big savings in money via not paying LT and we picked up a 1st.  I didn't like the trade at the time (and defeinitely not now) since Huerter is clearly better, but it's not an unreasonable thing for an owner to do when you are talking about your 6th/7th best player putting you into LT territory.  

Hawks fans are frustrated, as am I but the Ressler stuff is being way overblown.  

But I agree with your entire post.  Ressler is MILES better than ASG and it's not close.  ASG was the worst ownership in the NBA and perhaps all of sports.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This isn't it. 

No one will convince me that getting under the tax was Schlenk's idea. If this was the case, he'd just pay the freight and unload an injured Bogi.

This is all Ressler.

I hear ya but Schlenk said himself early on he had to convince Ressler not to over spend and his entire tenure has been predicated on generating the most value for the team while staying competitive. Also from a basketball standpoint Heurter, Bogi, Murray and Hunter minutes were going to clash and one of them would have had a significantly reduced role. Schlenk thought that would be Huerter and he was betting on a healthy Bogi at the beginning of the season. Not to mention, we needed to create minutes for AJ. We also have to create room to resign Murray longterm and we gave away 3 draft picks. If Schlenk would have thought keeping Huerter would have made us a championship level team, I think he have really pushed or allowed for luxury tax. Doesn’t make sense to put yourself in repeater luxury tax mode for a couple million dollars this year. Obliviously the decision to trade Huerter was a cooperate one where all agreed even if some did so reluctantly. It would be a none issue if Bogi started the season off healthy and we were winning at the clip we expected.  Of course this is only my speculation and the only real way to know is if Schlenk comes out and says so. The other indication will be if we immediately double down on the Murray/Trae team and trade for others this year that puts us over the tax. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

Oh and we went farther into contention and have been way more exciting to watch than ever before. 

You've got almost everything right. 

But for me there was never a better time as a Hawks fan than 2014-15. Best Hawks team ever, in my book. I miss them, and I also miss Ferry & Bud. :cray:

The 60 Win Team that got SWEPT in the Playoffs - YouTube

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

I hear ya but Schlenk said himself early on he had to convince Ressler not to over spend and his entire tenure has been predicated on generating the most value for the team while staying competitive. Also from a basketball standpoint Heurter, Bogi, Murray and Hunter minutes were going to clash and one of them would have had a significantly reduced role. Schlenk thought that would be Huerter and he was betting on a healthy Bogi at the beginning of the season. Not to mention, we needed to create minutes for AJ. We also have to create room to resign Murray longterm and we gave away 3 draft picks. If Schlenk would have thought keeping Huerter would have made us a championship level team, I think he have really pushed or allowed for luxury tax. Doesn’t make sense to put yourself in repeater luxury tax mode for a couple million dollars this year. Obliviously the decision to trade Huerter was a cooperate one where all agreed even if some did so reluctantly. It would be a none issue if Bogi started the season off healthy and we were winning at the clip we expected.  Of course this is only my speculation and the only real way to know is if Schlenk comes out and says so. The other indication will be if we immediately double down on the Murray/Trae team and trade for others this year that puts us over the tax. 

The tax is an owner decision. Period.

Wether to pay it or not.

@Sothron has also indicated Ressler is also unwilling to pay it next season as well.

I have spoken ad nauseum about the repeater tax and why it didn'tmake sense to be over the tax by a small amount this year. But then, again the tax is not calculated until the end of the year, so depending on how we were playing with Huerter and with Bogi now back - a later trade of some kind would have made sense.

At the time of the trade, I said I understood getting under the tax since it would help in trades being an under the tax team vs over where we get to take back more in salary if initially under the tax.

But then when Fields mentioned keeping the final roster spot open - I saw the writing.

Also if you guys are giving Fields the credit for drafting AJ, then he's also responsible for the DJ trade and the Huerter trade. He was promoted to GM on June 13, draft was June 23rd, DJ traded for June 29th, Huerter trade July 1st, Just saying.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, BrazilianHawk said:

You've got almost everything right. 

But for me there was never a better time as a Hawks fan than 2014-15. Best Hawks team ever, in my book. I miss them, and I also miss Ferry & Bud. :cray:

The 60 Win Team that got SWEPT in the Playoffs - YouTube

Yeah that’s why I said most exciting and furthest. Lol. Damn Belladabulldozier or whatever his name was. Lol

I've always assumed that the front office saw Bogi and Huerter as being redundant talents at the same position.  Once they determined that trading Bogi was going to be a net negative, due to his injury status, Kevin being traded was the only practical option, since going into the tax just to carry two redundant talents didn't make much financial sense.  The "luxury" of keeping them both, and paying the luxury tax because of it, made no sense, IMHO.  
Yes, super duper depth would have been nice, money be damned, but I couldn't fault the overall logic.  I also don't think they realized at the time of the trade that Bogi would wind up being out the first two months of the season.  They probably thought he'd be ready much sooner.
Keeping Kevin over Bogi would have been my preference, but not if we had to attach a FRP to do it.  
Either way, much more is causing our problematic year than the Kevin trade.  

• Premium Member

What's worse...a broken hand or a broken foot?  Yep, both are awful.

It doesn't matter if Ressler is marginally better or significantly worse.  At the end of the day, there are things that none of us want to see.  All of us have been through a lot with our front office regimes over the decades.  Too much.  So much so that we ****DAMN SURE**** know what NOT to do.

For me, the 2nd worst thing (first being a failure to rebuild) is meddling.  A great owner will hire good people to do the job and allow those people the space to do it.  An ideal owner will also be passionate enough about the game to understand the moves their staff are making.  A passionate owner isn't necessary for me.  I just want someone who understands what it actually takes to contend.  Micromanagement is not one of those things.

These aren't our millions of dollars to spend, so I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here and tell someone how to spend their hard earned money.  However, if we want a winner, we have to do what winners do.  Contenders accumulate, cultivate, and keep talent.  Contenders take care of their franchise players...we have to take care of Trae.  That does not mean giving him everything he wants.  It means getting that man what he needs

He wants a new coach and a new system.  We need a new coach and a new system.  This is a no-brainer decision.  He wants a low post threat?  Well, let's figure out what we're going to do between Collins, OO, and Cap.  It's not like we don't have assets to make something work.  Contenders make it work.  Good GM's make it work.  Hell I remember reading an article about how we didn't have the money to get the Nique deal done, but Ted Turner and Stan Kasten made it happen.

We have two alpha level talents in Trae/DJM and a lot of quality talent (and assets) around them.  This regime needs to worry less about internal politics and finance and more about how to make it happen with what we got.  If I'm being honest, I would have rather gone down in flames with Schlenk than take the risk of switching gears on a new GM.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Wretch said:

For me, the 2nd worst thing (first being a failure to rebuild) is meddling.  A great owner will hire good people to do the job and allow those people the space to do it.  An ideal owner will also be passionate enough about the game to understand the moves their staff are making.  A passionate owner isn't necessary for me.  I just want someone who understands what it actually takes to contend.  Micromanagement is not one of those things.

So much of this.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The tax is an owner decision. Period.

Wether to pay it or not.

@Sothron has also indicated Ressler is also unwilling to pay it next season as well.

I have spoken ad nauseum about the repeater tax and why it didn'tmake sense to be over the tax by a small amount this year. But then, again the tax is not calculated until the end of the year, so depending on how we were playing with Huerter and with Bogi now back - a later trade of some kind would have made sense.

At the time of the trade, I said I understood getting under the tax since it would help in trades being an under the tax team vs over where we get to take back more in salary if initially under the tax.

But then when Fields mentioned keeping the final roster spot open - I saw the writing.

Also if you guys are giving Fields the credit for drafting AJ, then he's also responsible for the DJ trade and the Huerter trade. He was promoted to GM on June 13, draft was June 23rd, DJ traded for June 29th, Huerter trade July 1st, Just saying.

I hear you. We will find out soon enough. I do start the Fields era at that point. The tax is an owner's final decision. I think the only place we disagree is Schlenk’s involvement. I also think it still is the right decision even though the early results are not good. I would love to have the “luxury” 😏 of having Huerter here but oh well. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AtLaS said:

Ressler can't make this statement without throwing the current team under the bus.  He would be saying publically that they aren't good enough to win a championship.  I don't think he necessarily lied in his statements this offseason and before about the tax.  He just basically said we aren't scared of it.  That doesn't mean that we will pay it every year or that we won't. 

We were a play in team who got smoked in the 1st round, and Huerter was going to be a bench guy after the Murray trade.  We also drafted an SG and still had Bogi on the roster who was supposed to be back a lot sooner.  Huerter was also bad on defense and we had 3 straight years of Huerters numbers being exactly the same.  JH had similar numbers, was cheaper and a better defender.  What Ressler didn't take into account was Huerter potentially improving, and JH declining.  On paper at the time it was a small downgrade in on court performance, a big savings in money via not paying LT and we picked up a 1st.  I didn't like the trade at the time (and defeinitely not now) since Huerter is clearly better, but it's not an unreasonable thing for an owner to do when you are talking about your 6th/7th best player putting you into LT territory.  

Hawks fans are frustrated, as am I but the Ressler stuff is being way overblown.  

But I agree with your entire post.  Ressler is MILES better than ASG and it's not close.  ASG was the worst ownership in the NBA and perhaps all of sports.

A lot of this blame everyone war for Nate and Tony is Trae fans mad at the current situation and really have no one to blame but Trae. Two decisions that wasn't super wise can be linked to his begging. The JC resigning for the amount he was signed too and the Murray trade. While even I agree that the value for that trade was reasonable, it was never a natural fit. It changed our style of play and killed our offensive efficiency. I had my doubts way before we even made the trade which truly, I didn't believe we were going to make. 

1 hour ago, Wretch said:

What's worse...a broken hand or a broken foot?  Yep, both are awful.

It doesn't matter if Ressler is marginally better or significantly worse.  At the end of the day, there are things that none of us want to see.  All of us have been through a lot with our front office regimes over the decades.  Too much.  So much so that we ****DAMN SURE**** know what NOT to do.

These aren't our millions of dollars to spend, so I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here and tell someone how to spend their hard earned money.  However, if we want a winner, we have to do what winners do.  Contenders accumulate, cultivate, and keep talent.  Contenders take care of their franchise players...we have to take care of Trae.  That does not mean giving him everything he wants.  It means getting that man what he needs

He wants a new coach and a new system.  We need a new coach and a new system.  This is a no-brainer decision.  He wants a low post threat?  Well, let's figure out what we're going to do between Collins, OO, and Cap.  It's not like we don't have assets to make something work.  Contenders make it work.  Good GM's make it work.  Hell I remember reading an article about how we didn't have the money to get the Nique deal done, but Ted Turner and Stan Kasten made it happen.

We have two alpha level talents in Trae/DJM and a lot of quality talent (and assets) around them.  This regime needs to worry less about internal politics and finance and more about how to make it happen with what we got.  If I'm being honest, I would have rather gone down in flames with Schlenk than take the risk of switching gears on a new GM.

All owners be meddling in though. All of them. There isn't one hands off owner. MJ might be the most hands off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongTimeFan said:

I've always assumed that the front office saw Bogi and Huerter as being redundant talents at the same position.  Once they determined that trading Bogi was going to be a net negative, due to his injury status, Kevin being traded was the only practical option, since going into the tax just to carry two redundant talents didn't make much financial sense.  The "luxury" of keeping them both, and paying the luxury tax because of it, made no sense, IMHO.  
Yes, super duper depth would have been nice, money be damned, but I couldn't fault the overall logic.  I also don't think they realized at the time of the trade that Bogi would wind up being out the first two months of the season.  They probably thought he'd be ready much sooner.
Keeping Kevin over Bogi would have been my preference, but not if we had to attach a FRP to do it.  
Either way, much more is causing our problematic year than the Kevin trade.  

It made sense but Atlanta not going into the LT is address the bench is where a lot of fans are mad. Kevin trade just gives you a you see as Justin Holiday been a bum for us. It makes it easy to go at Travis, Tony, Landry, etc. 

7 hours ago, Final_quest said:

It's really desperate thinking to wish for the ASG days.  

Have ya'll looked at the thread when we traded Huerter?  It read like ding dong the witch is dead, get your soft ass out of here.  We got a gritty tough two way player at the 2 now.  A couple people balked at the trade.

We were a low lottery team, missed the bubble, 14th out of 15 in the ECF.  Despite being among the worst teams in the league they traded for Capela and signed Bogi and Gallo.  Spent as much money as he could to accelerate growth.  Now ya'll are screaming like toddlers that he doesn't care about winning and runs things on the cheap.  

I think showing a little bit of patience going into the luxury tax is potentially wise.  He seems really passionate, and if Capela, Bogi, and Hunter would have been more healthy we'd probably be winning at 60% or higher. 

Who wished for ASG to comeback ??…that’s not what I said at all.

I stated that Resseler is no different than the ASG but I’m only speaking from a basketball perspective. If anything he’s only slightly better.

some have brought up racism and I’m not including all the racism that was later found on the ASG. I won’t speak on that topic because I have no clue what any owner in the nba feel regarding the other race but Ressler is to me is no different  or slightly better than the ASG when it comes to basketball.

That’s how I see it currently. If he proves to be different or as good as you all say great. Right now he’s on the same level as ASG for me. At some point you have to walk the walk.

Edited by JTB

Making the monies match: 

Huerter: $14,5

Jarrett Culover $6.3 + Justin Holiday $8.2 = $14.5.

Because we're talking about saving money and staying under the dreaded tax the salary matches as shown.  We get 2 players for the price of one.

The question becomes, which is the better deal?

:smug:

5 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Making the monies match: 

Huerter: $14,5

Jarrett Culover $6.3 + Justin Holiday $8.2 = $14.5.

Because we're talking about saving money and staying under the dreaded tax the salary matches as shown.  We get 2 players for the price of one.

The question becomes, which is the better deal?

:smug:

Culver is making pennies. He's on a two way contract