• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Rise of JC!!

Diesel

• Moderators
1 hour ago, LucastheThird said:

Sounds a lot like a guy who knows he has no control over whether he stays in Atlanta or is traded. He's done this song and dance for a few years now and making public statements that he wants to be a Hawk hasn't stopped the trade talk. He knows he's going to keep playing basketball (barring injury) but the where is not up to him.

That's the whole league, as he points out, but to me when they ask you if you would be ok being traded and you say 'i don't give a damn' then I don't see any other way to read that.   

I love JC and I totally understand what he's saying.  He's justified and i don't blame him for wanting out.   I want to keep him around but the only reason this isn't bigger news is we all sympathize with him because he's a good guy.   Can you imagine the uproar in Boston if they asked Marcus Smart if he cared if he was traded or not and he said 'i don't give a damn'.   

I'm not criticizing JC.  To me this is more of an indictment on the Hawks org which is increasingly showing that the front office has no plan.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

The thing is JC has been in the middle of trade rumors since 2019.   That's not fair.   That's 3 yrs of not feeling valued by your team.   Even now, is he getting more touches because we're showcasing him?

I personally think to trade him is a mistake.  However, if we don't trade him, stop putting him in public trade rumors. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Hawks are asking for a package of picks and/or young players for Collins. They are asking for something just below the Gobert/DJM/Mitchell return. 

I was told not to expect Collins to be on the Hawks roster past the trade deadline FWIW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Hawks are asking for a package of picks and/or young players for Collins. They are asking for something just below the Gobert/DJM/Mitchell return. 

I was told not to expect Collins to be on the Hawks roster past the trade deadline FWIW.

39 minutes ago, Sothron said:

These two things can't coexist lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
Just now, JeffS17 said:

These two things can't coexist lol

All it takes is one team to pay the price. JC is a good player that's a fringe AS on another squad where he actually gets factored into an offense. 

Travis was the only reason JC was still on this team. With him gone I expect JC to be traded to either try and swing us an upgrade (which I doubt will happen) or more likely getting cheaper and getting first rounders to replace the ones we lost for DJM.

• Like 1

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I hope so dude, but I have a hard time believing we don't come down a lot from that asking price.  When I see an asking price even being compared to Donovan Mitchell or Rudy Gobert's haul for John Collins, I think "Man, what incompetent front office would start conversations there and expect genuine dicsussion", but thankfully we have a really seasoned front office that knows wh-- oh wait.

Yeah sounds to me like another Huerter deal where the first team to pony up a 1st rounder and a serviceable player will get him.  that's just great.    Resseller Spirit Group in action. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member

Nets exec putting out bad stuff. Nobody wants that collection of SGs.

What you are seeing with Collins now is that the Hawks want him to be treated like an All-Star, they want a big-time return for Collins — not quite like the Rudy Gobert or Donovan Mitchell trades, but something in that neighborhood,” the executive told Heavy Sports. “And everyone else looks at him like he’s a guy who is owed $100 million over the next four years and is having the worst year of his career. The [Brooklyn] Nets can build a package around Joe Harris to make the money match, and add in Royce O’Neale and Cam Thomas.”

The executive who spoke with Heavy Sports also stated that the team is looking to add another star and “power-forward-like player.” The Nets reportedly registered interest in Collins around the 2022 NBA Draft, and it looks like they might still be interested in him.

Given Kevin Durant’s recent knee injury, it might not be a bad idea for the Nets to try to close a deal with the Hawks for Collins.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I also can't stress enough the main reason JC was given the extension and why he is still here was Travis. Travis went to bat for JC before. JC was almost traded this summer to the Kings for Harrison Barnes and some first rounders. Travis was the one that got them to back off from that and instead we worked out a Kevin to Sac for peanuts trade. 

They can't give JC away like they did Kevin. Even Ressler's son knows this. So I do expect the return for JC to be more substantive than injured old slow players like Joe Harris who makes Bogi look like Gary Payton and fringe rotation players. The Nets would have to include multiple picks in that poo poo platter to get us to trade JC with so little actual talent coming back.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I also can't stress enough the main reason JC was given the extension and why he is still here was Travis. Travis went to bat for JC before. JC was almost traded this summer to the Kings for Harrison Barnes and some first rounders. Travis was the one that got them to back off from that and instead we worked out a Kevin to Sac for peanuts trade. 

They can't give JC away like they did Kevin. Even Ressler's son knows this. So I do expect the return for JC to be more substantive than injured old slow players like Joe Harris who makes Bogi look like Gary Payton and fringe rotation players. The Nets would have to include multiple picks in that poo poo platter to get us to trade JC with so little actual talent coming back.

Now why on Earth would someone who is supposed to be in charge of player movement have to shut down a trade?  Because...there's meddling and then there's MEDDLING meddling.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, JTB said:

Are we interested in Ben Simmons again? Maybe ? 

I'd imagine it would also include Bogi because Simmons has a higher salary and would put us in the tax. I could see myself considering a Simmons/1st package.... like a good first. Like 2027 unprotected. 

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Sothron said:

I don't understand what's going on though.  If Trae is somehow part of this unholy trinity of a brain trust why are we trading good players for picks?   What does that get Trae?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The rumors and insiders will only create more stress, confusion and disappointment if/when trades don’t happen.

Do yourselves a favor and just take it day by day, ignore the noise and temptation of feeding the flames.

If something happens, it’s beyond our control, if something doesn’t happen it’s beyond our control. So what does that mean?

Just let it be. Acknowledge what is, not the “what if’s”.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

The rumors and insiders will only create more stress, confusion and disappointment if/when trades don’t happen.

Do yourselves a favor and just take it day by day, ignore the noise and temptation of feeding the flames.

If something happens, it’s beyond our control, if something doesn’t happen it’s beyond our control. So what does that mean?

Just let it be. Acknowledge what is, not the “what if’s”.

Yeah i get that.  I haven't actually believed JC would be traded to this point but now i think he'll be gone by the deadline because we have a new regime and they want to put their stamp on the team.  

Travis built a really good team that went to the ECF their first year in the playoffs.  You have to let the architect finish the job otherwise we're starting over.  Maybe not from scratch but we are taking steps backwards.  Trading Kev was the first pin to fall.  There will be more before we start heading up unless Nick Trae Landry are more savvy than i give them credit for.   Which i doubt.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/9/2023 at 3:17 PM, macdaddy said:

Sounds to me like a guy who will have a big smile on his face if he gets traded.  

I just saw and read this interview. Didn’t love it from a Hawks perspective. For some reason I thought he would talk about his love for the city or something. 

I mean I get it that it’s a business but don’t act like you a FA or something you still a Hawk.

• Like 1