• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Rise of JC!!

Diesel

• Premium Member

I know that a lot of what we are seeing from JC is because we have him playing the 5.   I think @JayBirdHawk mentioned that over his last 5 games he's 20/10....  Well over his last two games he's 23.5, 12.5, and 2 with 57% from the field and 33% from 3.   That's going head to head with Looney, Draymond, Sabonis, and Barnes.   He can play small ball 5. 

If you watched more than his stats, he's showing that he can do more than just PNR.  In fact, I don't think I have seen him in PNR but once...  and one lob last night.   He's got some stuff going to the basket.  He's still not the guy you want dribbling because he can turn the ball over and he has to be in a position to go immediately and not have to wait.. but his Post up game is coming around like SAR like.   He's putting up SAR like numbers.  

I HOPE THAT WE'RE NOT SHOWCASING HIM FOR A TRADE TO GET US BACK EXPIRINGS AND PICKS.  I would probably stop watching the Hawks for a while if we traded him for Crowder. 

We have to find a way to keep him going when Clint comes back.

Somebody mentioned... stagger the C play.  I guess that looks like:

1 unit:  CC/JJ/Hunter/DJM/Trae

2 unit:  OO/JC/Hunter/Bogi/DJM

3 unit:  OO/JC/AJ/Bogi/DJM

4 unit:  OO/JC/AJ/Bogi/Trae

5 unit:  JC/JJ/AJ/Bogi/Trae

Defensive Unit:   CC/JC/Hunter/DJM/AHoli. 

I don't know.. I hope that we start our turn around here.  I know we have some hard games ahead. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That's great!!

Interesting... Joe Johnson didn't catch this distinction...

Neither did Al Horford or Josh Smith?

Damn JC...

Horford only hit 21 3pt shots during his entire time in Atlanta.  He easily passes the other two.  

Josh had 271 3's so he is only a little bit short.  (Easily hits the others.)

JJ misses on rebounds.  He had around 2200 in an Atlanta uniform.

• Premium Member

JC vs Hawks PFs...  It's interesting...

Rk Player From To G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1 John Collins 2018 2022 293 242 29.0 6.5 11.6 .559 0.9 2.5 .376 5.5 9.1 .610 .600 2.6 3.3 .779 2.5 5.9 8.3 1.6 0.6 1.0 1.5 3.1 16.5
2 Josh Smith 2005 2009 376 354 33.4 5.3 11.6 .454 0.3 1.3 .270 4.9 10.3 .476 .469 3.2 4.6 .679 2.1 5.3 7.4 2.6 1.2 2.4 2.5 3.0 14.0

Rk Player From To G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1 John Collins 2018 2022 293 242 29.0 6.5 11.6 .559 0.9 2.5 .376 5.5 9.1 .610 .600 2.6 3.3 .779 2.5 5.9 8.3 1.6 0.6 1.0 1.5 3.1 16.5
2 Paul Millsap 2014 2018 335 331 32.9 6.1 13.3 .463 1.0 3.0 .336 5.1 10.3 .500 .501 3.8 5.1 .748 2.0 6.1 8.1 3.2 1.6 1.2 2.3 2.8 17.1

1 Shareef Abdur-Rahim 2002 2005 297 263 35.8 6.7 14.2 .476 0.2 0.7 .325 6.5 13.5 .484 .484 4.9 5.9 .840 2.3 5.8 8.1 2.6 1.0 0.6 2.6 2.8 18.6
2 John Collins 2018 2022 293 242 29.0 6.5 11.6 .559 0.9 2.5 .376 5.5 9.1 .610 .600 2.6 3.3 .779 2.5 5.9 8.3 1.6 0.6 1.0 1.5 3.1 16.5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

JC vs Hawks PFs...  It's interesting...

2 Josh Smith 2005 2009 376 354 33.4 5.3 11.6 .454 0.3 1.3 .270 4.9 10.3 .476 .469 3.2 4.6 .679 2.1 5.3 7.4 2.6 1.2 2.4 2.5 3.0 14.0

2 Paul Millsap 2014 2018 335 331 32.9 6.1 13.3 .463 1.0 3.0 .336 5.1 10.3 .500 .501 3.8 5.1 .748 2.0 6.1 8.1 3.2 1.6 1.2 2.3 2.8 17.1

1 Shareef Abdur-Rahim 2002 2005 297 263 35.8 6.7 14.2 .476 0.2 0.7 .325 6.5 13.5 .484 .484 4.9 5.9 .840 2.3 5.8 8.1 2.6 1.0 0.6 2.6 2.8 18.6
2 John Collins 2018 2022 293 242 29.0 6.5 11.6 .559 0.9 2.5 .376 5.5 9.1 .610 .600 2.6 3.3 .779 2.5 5.9 8.3 1.6 0.6 1.0 1.5 3.1 16.5

Some people don’t appreciate the player until they are gone. For whatever reason Collins started off slow, but he is balling out lately.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 909 said:

Some people don’t appreciate the player until they are gone. For whatever reason Collins started off slow, but he is balling out lately.

Talk about a pleasant surprise! 

I saw a Double drag with JC and Dre screening. I was like ok Nate.... lol

JC has been pretty good the last two weeks honestly. I think it's risky to trade him at this point.(I never really wanted to trade him after the Murray acquisition btw) Any replacement will take a month or more to gel. Nate finally showed last night he can be versatile in his rotations. But what happens when CC comes back and clogs the paint on offense? 

I also like the way Nate got fired up over that non foul call when JC was hit in the head. He was also angry and cursing at the team in the late timeout after they gave up the lead late. He was showing some passion for once.... The team needs to see that. The inbounds play in the last 40 seconds was good too. Overall, this game had more ball movement and getting more people engaged. Dre was able to bring the ball up some(even though he makes me nervous when he dribbles), during the stretch when he was being aggressive. Nice balanced scoring. Getting into the paint more was good, as well. The game plan didn't rely on 3 pt. shots Thank Goodness.....  Nate did a good job last night..

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wretch said:

John Collins is a solid 20/10.
John Collins is a good defender.
John Collins compliments Trae and DJM in every way.
John Collins is a leader with a great personality.
John Collins has a winner's mindset.
John Collins wants to be here.

🙋🏾‍♂️
"My name is Wretch and I used to be a John Collins hater 2 seasons ago because I jumped to conclusions, talking about things happening inside the Hawks locker room that I knew nothing about.  John Collins is my favorite Atlanta Hawk and I think it will be a mistake to trade him, let alone trading him without a significant return coming back."

I'm just gonna leave this here and we'll circle back years from now lol

Hi Wretch.  Welcome to JC Anonymous.

• Haha 4

• Premium Member

You all know I love JC and have since his rookie year. But he is 100% being showcased for other teams. 

My hope is that if we have to sacrifice one of these three (and we do because Ressler won't pay the LT next season) of Capela, JC and Bogi we move Bogi. And I loooove Bogi. But he's the most expendable of those three as much as I hate to say it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

• Premium Member
On 1/5/2023 at 7:23 PM, Wretch said:

John Collins is a solid 20/10.
John Collins is a good defender.
John Collins compliments Trae and DJM in every way.
John Collins is a leader with a great personality.
John Collins has a winner's mindset.
John Collins wants to be here.

🙋🏾‍♂️
"My name is Wretch and I used to be a John Collins hater 2 seasons ago because I jumped to conclusions, talking about things happening inside the Hawks locker room that I knew nothing about.  John Collins is my favorite Atlanta Hawk and I think it will be a mistake to trade him, let alone trading him without a significant return coming back."

I'm just gonna leave this here and we'll circle back years from now lol

X 1,000.    If they trade him I'm out.  

1.  Because he is all of the above.  

2.  It's a coaching issue. Same mess we were in with LP.   

3. Gotta get a good coach and staff. 

• Like 1

JC definitely should not be traded! I was never a hater I just thought Collins wasn’t an impactful player anymore and I was dead ass wrong about that….turns out fitting may be our biggest issue which reflect capela more than anyone else but he just happens to be our most impactful defensive player too.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That look on your face says it all, so I guess I’ll just start with a quick pulse and state of mind check for you, and then also am curious how you see the big picture. This franchise just has a lot going on. The front office changed recently. You have the on-court inconsistencies. Stuff with Nate and Trae. Where are you at?

I’m in a sort of familiar place, right, with the cloud (of trade uncertainty overhead) and all that. Obviously, that stuff is draining and not something you necessarily have to deal with. But it’s part of the business, so I try to just not really think about it, honestly. I try to go out there and play the best basketball I can. But not to say that I don’t know, but I sort of just do know, right?

And if I’m in your shoes, it seems like a really important time. You’re entering your prime, and you’ve already put in a lot of good years. But Feb. 9 is around the corner, and the sense that I’ve gotten from talking to people close to you, around you and around the league, is that you’d be just fine if you were wearing a different jersey after that deadline. But in terms of stability, and having some vision for what the next few years might look like for you, is that something that you feel a real desire to finally get?

Yes and no. Being in this position, and being in the sort of limbo state for as long as I have been, I’m sort of just comfortable with whatever’s happening because I’ve been waiting for something to, or I’ve thought about all that the scenarios in which something could happen, so I’m not even thinking about two, three, four years ahead. Again, I literally can’t control whether I’ll be here, or where I’ll be in two or three years, you know?

But are you hoping that one thing or another happens?

I don’t give a damn honestly, you know what I mean?

How’s that possible? 

What do you mean? I play basketball every day, you know what I mean? I come in and I play basketball, and whatever happens, happens because I don’t control that side. I don’t have any control over any decisions that get made, where I am and where I play. I don’t have any control over that. I can say, ‘Hey, I want to do this and I wanna do that,’ and they can just do whatever they feel is fair. You saw it with Kevin Durant, right? He’s begging for trade, and Brooklyn is like, ‘Nah.’ Not saying that I’m Kevin Durant, but it’s just the mentality of ‘Yeah, you can say whatever, you can make a public scene, you can do whatever (and it won’t matter).’

And that’s a guy who has as much juice as anybody in the league. 

My point exactly. So if I’m looking at that, I’m like, ‘Man, wake up and do what you love, and that’s hoop.’ That’s why after these years of just going through what it is, it’s gotten to a point where I just don’t care anymore because it’s been my life for the last three years, literally.

But it doesn’t sound like it’s getting you down, frustrating you. 

No, no, no, no. And that’s what I mean. I’ve just been trying to think about waking up and playing ball, because I also feel like it’s been a unique situation.

It’s been a long time. 

But I feel like I know how to utilize that strength that I’ve built mentally, and that’s it. And when I say I don’t give a damn, it’s just like, man, I’m gonna wake up every day and be positive and I’m going to go play basketball. If I think about that s— all day I’m gonna be a mess. And that’s me trying to preserve my mental (health). That’s really it.

If you’re breaking it down and unpacking it, what’s been missing to this point?

No one thing. I definitely feel like having a whole new group of guys on the roster is one thing, adding a big-time guy like DJ (Dejounte Murray) into the squad. I don’t think there’s anything missing. I think it’s more assimilation into who we are, what we want to be as a team, where we can go. But missing? I don’t think we have anything missing. I think we are loaded. But it’s just mentally.

Is it strategic type stuff, chemistry type stuff, personal dynamics? All of the above?

It’s all of the above. Injuries, guys not being available. It’s adding younger guys into our lineup, adding a player like DJ, another All Star, to our group. All that stuff adds an effect to what already makes playing and winning in this league so hard. So it’s just hard to quantify one thing as in who to attack. That was one thing coach said for us this morning (when they had broken down) film was to look at ourselves, and I try to look at myself. For me, I want to make more threes.

So in my part, I can say I’m part of the issue for sure. It’s something I’m working hard as hell every day to change. I wouldn’t say I’m slumping, but I’m not shooting as well as I want to. So I can say I’m a part of the issue just as well as I can say whoever is part of the issue. Can you blame CC (Clint Capela) for being hurt right now? (The veteran center has been out since Dec. 23 with a calf injury). You know what I’m saying? Or when I was hurt? (Collins missed eight games with a sprained left ankle earlier this season). S— happens. So that’s again, another thing that I’ve been accustomed to is this league, right? It’s not knowing what to expect every day. That just helps me analyze it, not take it personal and just apply it to my everyday life as useful information.

To hear you share something that Nate shared this morning gives me the sense that, in terms of this coach and his voice — and we all know that there’s a lot of uncertainty around his future — it sounds like he’s still getting through to y’all. Is that dynamic going well enough? What part does that play in the puzzle?

I feel like we all have respect for Coach Nate, ultimate respect for him. But as I said before, when situations that are going on with our team happen and hit the media, it definitely can create an extra mess of issues that weren’t necessarily there before. So I don’t know if it makes guys feel any different way about Nate personally, but it just more so gives us another layer …

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That look on your face says it all, so I guess I’ll just start with a quick pulse and state of mind check for you, and then also am curious how you see the big picture. This franchise just has a lot going on. The front office changed recently. You have the on-court inconsistencies. Stuff with Nate and Trae. Where are you at?

I’m in a sort of familiar place, right, with the cloud (of trade uncertainty overhead) and all that. Obviously, that stuff is draining and not something you necessarily have to deal with. But it’s part of the business, so I try to just not really think about it, honestly. I try to go out there and play the best basketball I can. But not to say that I don’t know, but I sort of just do know, right?

And if I’m in your shoes, it seems like a really important time. You’re entering your prime, and you’ve already put in a lot of good years. But Feb. 9 is around the corner, and the sense that I’ve gotten from talking to people close to you, around you and around the league, is that you’d be just fine if you were wearing a different jersey after that deadline. But in terms of stability, and having some vision for what the next few years might look like for you, is that something that you feel a real desire to finally get?

Yes and no. Being in this position, and being in the sort of limbo state for as long as I have been, I’m sort of just comfortable with whatever’s happening because I’ve been waiting for something to, or I’ve thought about all that the scenarios in which something could happen, so I’m not even thinking about two, three, four years ahead. Again, I literally can’t control whether I’ll be here, or where I’ll be in two or three years, you know?

But are you hoping that one thing or another happens?

I don’t give a damn honestly, you know what I mean?

How’s that possible? 

What do you mean? I play basketball every day, you know what I mean? I come in and I play basketball, and whatever happens, happens because I don’t control that side. I don’t have any control over any decisions that get made, where I am and where I play. I don’t have any control over that. I can say, ‘Hey, I want to do this and I wanna do that,’ and they can just do whatever they feel is fair. You saw it with Kevin Durant, right? He’s begging for trade, and Brooklyn is like, ‘Nah.’ Not saying that I’m Kevin Durant, but it’s just the mentality of ‘Yeah, you can say whatever, you can make a public scene, you can do whatever (and it won’t matter).’

And that’s a guy who has as much juice as anybody in the league. 

My point exactly. So if I’m looking at that, I’m like, ‘Man, wake up and do what you love, and that’s hoop.’ That’s why after these years of just going through what it is, it’s gotten to a point where I just don’t care anymore because it’s been my life for the last three years, literally.

But it doesn’t sound like it’s getting you down, frustrating you. 

No, no, no, no. And that’s what I mean. I’ve just been trying to think about waking up and playing ball, because I also feel like it’s been a unique situation.

It’s been a long time. 

But I feel like I know how to utilize that strength that I’ve built mentally, and that’s it. And when I say I don’t give a damn, it’s just like, man, I’m gonna wake up every day and be positive and I’m going to go play basketball. If I think about that s— all day I’m gonna be a mess. And that’s me trying to preserve my mental (health). That’s really it.

If you’re breaking it down and unpacking it, what’s been missing to this point?

No one thing. I definitely feel like having a whole new group of guys on the roster is one thing, adding a big-time guy like DJ (Dejounte Murray) into the squad. I don’t think there’s anything missing. I think it’s more assimilation into who we are, what we want to be as a team, where we can go. But missing? I don’t think we have anything missing. I think we are loaded. But it’s just mentally.

Is it strategic type stuff, chemistry type stuff, personal dynamics? All of the above?

It’s all of the above. Injuries, guys not being available. It’s adding younger guys into our lineup, adding a player like DJ, another All Star, to our group. All that stuff adds an effect to what already makes playing and winning in this league so hard. So it’s just hard to quantify one thing as in who to attack. That was one thing coach said for us this morning (when they had broken down) film was to look at ourselves, and I try to look at myself. For me, I want to make more threes.

So in my part, I can say I’m part of the issue for sure. It’s something I’m working hard as hell every day to change. I wouldn’t say I’m slumping, but I’m not shooting as well as I want to. So I can say I’m a part of the issue just as well as I can say whoever is part of the issue. Can you blame CC (Clint Capela) for being hurt right now? (The veteran center has been out since Dec. 23 with a calf injury). You know what I’m saying? Or when I was hurt? (Collins missed eight games with a sprained left ankle earlier this season). S— happens. So that’s again, another thing that I’ve been accustomed to is this league, right? It’s not knowing what to expect every day. That just helps me analyze it, not take it personal and just apply it to my everyday life as useful information.

To hear you share something that Nate shared this morning gives me the sense that, in terms of this coach and his voice — and we all know that there’s a lot of uncertainty around his future — it sounds like he’s still getting through to y’all. Is that dynamic going well enough? What part does that play in the puzzle?

I feel like we all have respect for Coach Nate, ultimate respect for him. But as I said before, when situations that are going on with our team happen and hit the media, it definitely can create an extra mess of issues that weren’t necessarily there before. So I don’t know if it makes guys feel any different way about Nate personally, but it just more so gives us another layer …

Sounds to me like a guy who will have a big smile on his face if he gets traded.  

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Sounds to me like a guy who will have a big smile on his face if he gets traded.  

Sounds a lot like a guy who knows he has no control over whether he stays in Atlanta or is traded. He's done this song and dance for a few years now and making public statements that he wants to be a Hawk hasn't stopped the trade talk. He knows he's going to keep playing basketball (barring injury) but the where is not up to him.

• Like 3