The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Call me crazy, but I don't see Ressler taking on Simmons money.  I don't see him taking on any money fwiw.  I think the Hawks may make a small sell move that keeps them under the luxury tax.  I think ownership just wants to make the playoffs, not spend money to be a contending team.

If we traded JC, Bogi, JHoli for Simmons and Curry, we'd save 3.5 Million dollars. 

• Premium Member

OK...

My insider voice is telling me, we're trying to secure Simmons, Curry, and Picks for JC, Bogi, and JHoliday.

Let's say Brooklyn jumps at the chance to get Simmons gone.   How strong is our defense with:

DJ, Hunter, Simmons, and Clint on the floor?

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Diesel said:

If we traded JC, Bogi, JHoli for Simmons and Curry, we'd save 3.5 Million dollars. 

6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

OK...

My insider voice is telling me, we're trying to secure Simmons, Curry, and Picks for JC, Bogi, and JHoliday.

Let's say Brooklyn jumps at the chance to get Simmons gone.   How strong is our defense with:

Diesel I respect the hell out of you but this would beyond bad! We can’t get Simmons without an offensive center coming back in another deal if we truly want to be successful . Unfortunately Trae and Murray combo offensively with a little sprinkle of Hunter on a good night just isn’t enough.

things will go bad quickly on this team. 

Edited by JTB

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

OK...

It would have to be, because we'd have 3 on 5 on offense.  Simmons isn't worth a third of what he's being paid.

29 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I think Trae has some power, but it's relative.  His power doesn't trump ownership's objectives which is why Trae asking out at some point is a real concern.  They talk a good game and want us to believe that they're really trying to build a championship team.  In reality, they'll just do enough to be mediocre while not spending too much.

I’ve thought about this and I have a big legit concern about it for the future.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Watchman said:

It would have to be, because we'd have 3 on 5 on offense.  Simmons isn't worth a third of what he's being paid.

Let’s hypothetically say this is the deal in works. There is no good outcome on this as teams would have our backs against the wall in any negotiation because the fit would be terrible. Not to mention the picks would be worthless as we make the nets better.

We’d essentially be tanking the season away with an extremely hard time getting on a good path. I can’t see a trade like this happening without other movement.

In my mind if hawks say they want Simmons that means they are automatically trading away BOTH Collins and Capela all in the same timeframe.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

never venture to guess

That's not a particularly fair assessment. Free to guess. Who's not free to guess? We're all free to guess. You included.

But talk about it, then, like you're guessing... as opposed to doing what you did, talking about it as-if you have some supernatural omnscience...

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

that will not get it done, not even close... it will take (yada yada yada)... make no mistake about it, they will get it.

Write as-if you have some clue that even though your position is informed and reasonable, then again, you don't know everything.

Not talking down to you on that, btw, talking from experience... go back in the Squawk archives, and that's how I talked. I had to figure out over time that my messaging became a whole lot easier for others to follow and accept when I was lucid and transparent enough to show I have an appreciation for just how much more I don't know than I do.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JTB said:

Diesel I respect the hell out of you but this would beyond bad! We can’t get Simmons without an offensive center coming back in another deal if we truly want to be successful . Unfortunately Trae and Murray combo offensively with a little sprinkle of Hunter on a good night just isn’t enough.

things will go bad quickly on this team. 

I consulted with the All Knowing Oracle.  After showing her that I can still bend the spoon, I asked her the question of the day...  Why does Trae want to play with Simmons. 

She told me...

Trae sees Simmons as a better ball handler than DJ.  She said, Trae believes that Simmons would make it possible for Trae to be Off ball whereas, it's not so fruitful with DJ alone because he becomes reduced to just throwing it out to JC or taking it himself.   She said that she sees Simmons with the ball having a low post scoring threat in Clint.  Two midrange shooters in Hunter and DJ.. or A three point sniper in himself. 

She also said at 6'10 and being a good defender of both Bigs and Guards that on defense, Simmons would be able to switch with whoever and not get beat. 

I said.. but what about Clint and Simmons on the floor together.   She said.. It's not a problem because Simmons is as much a finisher as JC but he's a better passer.   I said but what about crunch time... when fouls are given.  She told me that Clint is shooting 62% from the FT but that game is changing from Hack-a-Shaq. 

I said but won't we miss Bogi...  She said, Curry's Brother is a better shooter than Bogi. 

I said..> Damn.

She said, Atlanta would become the best defense in the league. 

I said better than LAC.   She said.. Better. 

I kept heeing and hawing about the lack of shooters.  She said.. look at what Brooklyn did when they were all healthy.  She said they played Nic Claxton with Simmons.  She told me that Clint is much better than Claxton in every way.  And with Claxton/Simmons on the court at the same time.. they won 20 out of 25 games....   She told me that it can work. 

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, JTB said:

Let’s hypothetically say this is the deal in works. There is no good outcome on this as teams would have our backs against the wall in any negotiation because the fit would be terrible. Not to mention the picks would be worthless as we make the nets better.

We’d essentially be tanking the season away with an extremely hard time getting on a good path. I can’t see a trade like this happening without other movement.

In my mind if hawks say they want Simmons that means they are automatically trading away BOTH Collins and Capela all in the same timeframe.

JTB...

Your issue is that you've replaced JC with Simmons and You believe that Simmons has to play the JC role?

Simmons is more skilled than JC in that he can pass... make exceptional passes.. handle the ball and his defense is better.

The thing is... Trae broke him.  Trae would have to fix him. 

• Premium Member

I'm not buying that Trae is praying for Simmons.

I just don't believe that. From where I sit, it's impossible to imagine some trade that would make any sense.

I'm also not buying that Trae is praying for any of his current teammates to be traded.

I'd lean toward him praying to play with KD, except, I don't think he'd have even mentioned it in that case... and except, I think he realizes how much the roster likely would have to be decimated in order to get KD.

I don't believe he's praying to play with Thybulle, but it's more likely than those first two.

Trae said something in his media availability session in PHX that, to me, suggested he feels like the East is just so much more of a brutal conference gauntlet to have to overcome... so getting a defense-first wing would be congruent with that, of course.

But my number one guess is borne out of that, borne out of the fact that MIL evidently hasn't closed a deal yet, and borne out of the fact we know the Hawks have been hot for Crowder for months.

Maybe just maybe, PHX has indeed ratcheted back their demands in response to the outcry that he's going to take a number of games just to get back into game shape. And maybe the real prayer part is that he's asking for some holy nudging in the owner's brain that he'll pay some tax after all.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, sturt said:

I'm not buying that Trae is praying for Simmons.

I just don't believe that.

I'm also not buying that Trae is praying for any of his current teammates to be traded.

I'd lean toward him praying to play with KD, except, I don't think he'd have even mentioned it in that case... and except, I think he realizes how much the roster likely would have to be decimated in order to get KD.

I don't believe he's praying to play with Thybulle, but it's more likely than those first two.

Trae said something in his media availability session in PHX that, to me, suggested he feels like the East is just so much more of a brutal conference gauntlet to have to overcome... so getting a defense-first wing would be congruent with that, of course.

But my number one guess is borne out of that, borne out of the fact that MIL evidently hasn't closed a deal yet, and borne out of the fact we know the Hawks have been hot for Crowder for months.

Maybe just maybe, PHX has indeed ratcheted back their demands in response to the outcry that he's going to take a number of games just to get back into game shape. And maybe the real prayer part is that he's asking for some holy nudging in the owner's brain that he'll pay some tax after all.

I don't know what Trae is praying for.  If I guessed, I would say he was praying for a trade that we get us MPJr for JC.   But that's another story. 

I do think that there may be thoughts of Simmons if we can save money in the process.   I think those are old marching orders.  I believe he's a lot cheaper but he is broken.   Broken in Confidence.   This is a careful place for the new FO.   You better be sure that he loves basketball if you trade for him. 

3 hours ago, sturt said:

That's not a particularly fair assessment. Free to guess. Who's not free to guess? We're all free to guess. You included.

But talk about it, then, like you're guessing... as opposed to doing what you did, talking about it as-if you have some supernatural omnscience...

Write as-if you have some clue that even though your position is informed and reasonable, then again, you don't know everything.

Not talking down to you on that, btw, talking from experience... go back in the Squawk archives, and that's how I talked. I had to figure out over time that my messaging became a whole lot easier for others to follow and accept when I was lucid and transparent enough to show I have an appreciation for just how much more I don't know than I do.

Why do you insist on debating semantics? Sturt, acquiring Kevin Durant will cost a lot, a whole lot, a whole hell of a lot. 

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Diesel said:

OK...

top 10 offense top 10 defense book it