The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Why do you insist on debating semantics? Sturt, acquiring Kevin Durant will cost a lot, a whole lot, a whole hell of a lot. 

Yeah, I'm the one debating semantics. Okay.

9 hours ago, sturt said:

First, bleach, you and I don't know what other teams' best offers are going to be... so seems to me that you're getting a little ahead of your skis here. Second, while draft picks maybe won't be the biggest asset, but they will be a significant asset in whatever deal would get done... by letting go of KD, Nets don't have the same sense of urgency that they do when a high-performance asset at his age is on the roster. Third, it's too painful for me to imagine what the massacre would look like, but if a deal got done, it would hurt severely.

I should have been taken to say what you just said, the only difference being that you're persuaded of your own omniscience that some other team would surely beat whatever our FO would put on the table. I said you're ahead of your skis in being that persuaded. Call it semantics or whatever. You're ahead of your skis. You can't know what you say you know ("will" "will" "will"). You could be right. I don't think you are (obviously).

59 minutes ago, sturt said:

Yeah, I'm the one debating semantics. Okay.

I should have been taken to say what you just said, the only difference being that you're persuaded of your own omniscience that some other team would surely beat whatever our FO would put on the table. I said you're ahead of your skis in being that persuaded. Call it semantics or whatever. You're ahead of your skis. You can't know what you say you know ("will" "will" "will"). You could be right. I don't think you are (obviously).

If 10 plus teams are competing for the same player, the odds of us getting outbid are very high. Would I make a wager on it? Absolutely I would. Without equivocation, I confidently state here and now, the Atlanta Hawks will not be acquiring Kevin Durant. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

If 10 plus teams are competing for the same player, the odds of us getting outbid are very high. Would I make a wager on it? Absolutely I would. Without equivocation, I confidently state here and now, the Atlanta Hawks will not be acquiring Kevin Durant. 

Call me selfish, but I don't want to give up AJ for KD.  I'm looking hard at KD's age and realizing that his injuries are starting to mount up. 

But.. I don't blame anybody who would sell out our future for a shot today. 

Let's say the trade was JC, Bogi, AJ, and 2 1st... for KD. 

A team of:

Trae, DJ, Hunter, KD, and Clint... with JJ and OO off the bench should be able to win or be very competitive this year.   But that's the thing.  Do you think that team wins this year?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Things to consider besides cost in a KD trade:

1. Were the Hawks on KD's original list of teams to be traded to when he asked out in the offseason?

2. What will prohibit him from then asking for a trade in the offseason  from the Hawks?

3. Considering his issues with the Nets front office, will he be ok with the upheaval and turnover we've just had? Doesn't scream stable franchise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. Were the Hawks on KD's original list of teams to be traded to when he asked out in the offseason?

2. What will prohibit him from then asking for a trade in the offseason  from the Hawks?

3. Considering his issues with the Nets front office, will he be ok with the upheaval and turnover we've just had? Doesn't scream stable franchise.

I don’t wanna be that franchise. KD can take his circus 🤡 elsewhere. Hope we don’t pursue this. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1.  I don't know if that matters.

2.  Nothing.  KD is signed for the next 3 years.   His contract still has value.  Even after this year unless he just falls apart, we could easily trade KD for good players/picks. 

3.  Again... I don't know if that matters.  I don't know if KD cares about Stability. His Track record doesn't suggest that he does. 

Here's the thing if we bring in KD that should be something to think about. 

1.  Can he make the three years?  At some point, he will start to fall apart.   But us getting him is a signal that we want to win RIGHT NOW TODAY... 2023.  So we are Florida Marlining this thing for a Chip.   Not getting Close to a CHIP ... but winning the CHip. 

2.  If we do win... It means more years with Nate.  IF we win a chip, Nate is not going to disappear into that Good night.   He's going to stay on to build on his legacy.   Can you deal with that?  If we're winning and have some semblance of a dynasty.. I don't give a damn if Nate is coaching. 

3.  Are you willing to loose AJ?   He's really going to be the most important piece in that trade.  I don't see us getting KD without giving up AJ.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. Yes, as was Miami, PHX, Toronto, Boston, and both LA teams. GS oddly enough wasn't one of the teams. There might have been more but I can't remember as of right now. I know Denver was interested as well but I don't believe KD was interested in Denver. 

2. Nothing. 

3. At that time, we didn't have any issues with our FO but some of these guys are close to KD especially Korver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Are you willing to loose AJ?

Heck no. Not even lose him for that matter! :sarcastic:

Seriously though, why on earth would you trade a prospect like AJ for a drama queen in KD who is risky and is well… KD and does KD things.

I’ll say this one thing. To me, KD and sCurry killed basketball. That’s all. sCurry has lil kids launching 42 footers who can’t even hit from 2, and the dramatic side, KD, oh and KYME, these 3.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I’m sorry Burd I didn’t know the format was “get in here, answer my questions in order, shut up and don’t dribble and exit stage left.”

-Raw Burd :laugh1:

ps I didn’t get the memo! 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Seriously though, why on earth would you trade a prospect like AJ for a drama queen in KD who is risky and is well… KD and does KD things.

As Milwaukee Bucks win NBA trophy which other sports trophies did Tiffany &  Co create?

KD puts us into championship contention with a strong chance to win it  IMHO.

But 

Everybody has to be healthy. 

Here's what I believe.  AJ will be a star.   Maybe a superstar in this league.  BKLN knows this too.   The question is:

1.  Do you believe that trading for KD gives us a chip?

We play for the chip.   Not to develop players.  Our franchise has never won the chip.   If this move got us a chip, it would be worth it. 

• Thanks 1

To me personally, AJ Griffin is the Hawk's most valueable asset.  More valueable than Trae?  Yes!  Trae is very valueable and he costs a lot (Payroll) and he has a vast following.  However, AJ is much younger, on his rookie contract and is super talented.

It's just me, but a trade of AJ would be equal to trading a young M. Jordan.  You just don't dare think about doing that.  He is more valueable than anyone who you could get for him in a trade.  Am I a big fan?  Yes!

:peanut-butter-jelly-time:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

To me personally, AJ Griffin is the Hawk's most valueable asset.  More valueable than Trae?  Yes!  Trae is very valueable and he costs a lot (Payroll) and he has a vast following.  However, AJ is much younger, on his rookie contract and is super talented.

It's just me, but a trade of AJ would be equal to trading a young M. Jordan.  You just don't dare think about doing that.  He is more valueable than anyone who you could get for him in a trade.  Am I a big fan?  Yes!

:peanut-butter-jelly-time:

I can't put AJ in that world yet.   He's still just potential   As we saw with Marvin, you can have all the potential in the world but if it is never realized it equals NOTHING. 

I agree that in the future AJ will be a very valuable player and he has a lot of value now because of that... however... you have to balance that with why do we play?

You-play-to-win-the-game GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I can't put AJ in that world yet.   He's still just potential   As we saw with Marvin, you can have all the potential in the world but if it is never realized it equals NOTHING. 

I agree that in the future AJ will be a very valuable player and he has a lot of value now because of that... however... you have to balance that with why do we play?

You-play-to-win-the-game GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I can't agree more. AJ has all the potential in the world to be a great player. But if he is the last piece in a deal to get KD right now, I still make that trade. I want to be all in on championship mode now, not 5 years from now. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

If 10 plus teams are competing for the same player, the odds of us getting outbid are very high.

I might settle for "high," but that's semantics.... hehe... so, agreed.

I don't rule it out like you do b/c I (a) believe we do have adequate assets to be in the mix if we want to be and (b) I believe we not only want to be, I believe this is that asset for which even Antony P. Ressler would buy-in (literally) in a big way. I can even imagine him frothing at the mouth, I really can.

The only part of the equation I don't have any decent handle on... and no one does, not even those of the Omniscience Cult nor the Authoritarians Community subset of Mensa International... is who and what else would be on that table for Sean Marks to consider.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Has a team ever won a ring with a #1 player acquired mid season?

Detroit Pistons.... I think...  We traded Rasheed Wallace for Smoove.   That team was very balanced but Rasheed made them a Champion. 

In that same way.. if we got KD... I don't know if he automatically becomes our #1 player.   He will be a very important cog though.