• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks year-to-date stats now that the season is almost done...

On 3/29/2023 at 11:07 AM, LongTimeFan said:

3. We allow the fourth most made FGs against us.  We give up the fifth most FG attempts.  We allow our opponents the sixth best FG%.  We do, however, do a good job limiting our opponents 3P made shots (we are ninth in fewest allowed).  But...We.Still.Need.To.Play.Better.Defense!

This is interesting to me.  After a little digging of my own, I found this:

• Hawks rank 11th in 3pt FG% allowed
  • Hawks rank 14th in fewest 3pt FGA
  • Hawks rank 20th in 2pt FG% allowed
  • Hawks rank 6th in most 2pt FGA 
  • Hawks rank 29th in FGM (allowed) in the restricted area
  • Hawks rank 8th in FGM (allowed) in the paint
  • Hawks rank 18th in FGM (allowed) in midrange
  • Hawks rank 8th in FGM (allowed) from 3

So where the Hawks really struggle is at the rim (restricted area) and in the midrange.  They are Top 10 in FG allowed in the paint and from 3. 

Point of Attack Defense is the culprit for the most part.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as opening day roster AJ leads the team in on/off net at +3.9, followed by OO of course.  I like them so much I want them to realize their full potential as championship-level pieces knowing it wont happen here.  

For reference Paolo Banchero is next to last among the entire Magic roster at -5.8.  Walker Kessler is second to Markannen at +7, the easy choice for ROY for me but I ain’t voting.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah.  Quin is already pushing DJ to take more 3s which is interesting since he's not considered a good shooter.   But the Bucks take as many 3s as anyone and don't have a much different % than we do.    To me the point is you need good shooters but you don't need great shooters to make shooting the 3 a lot an effective weapon.  

I would like to see DJ take the ball more to the rim on lieu of pulling up for the midrange...when he gets into the paint there are option to score or pass.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 1:03 PM, shakes said:

these are the two that make no sense when read together.  We lead the league in 2P FG attempts, yet are in the bottom third of FT attempts.     That defies logic and shows the true culprit of this team.  We take too many mid range shots. Way too many.

Someone show the hawks the shot chart from Villanova when they were winning titles.  Every shot was either behind the arc or within 3 feet of the basket.   The shot chart was a thing of beauty.  what do you think our shot chart looks like?  A Jackson Pollack painting?

A+ for the visual art reference. Thank you sir. 

• Haha 1

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

As far as opening day roster AJ leads the team in on/off net at +3.9, followed by OO of course.  I like them so much I want them to realize their full potential as championship-level pieces knowing it wont happen here.  

For reference Paolo Banchero is next to last among the entire Magic roster at -5.8.  Walker Kessler is second to Markannen at +7, the easy choice for ROY for me but I ain’t voting.

AJ is an obvious critical piece of our future.  I will not be happy if he isn't getting regular run next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

AJ is an obvious critical piece of our future.  I will not be happy if he isn't getting regular run next season.

Oh I have no doubt he will, Quin is keyed in on metrics obviously.  Can’t argue with Bey eating AJ’s minutes this season with a +9.4 on/off net across 3 positions since coming over.  Bey’s arrival kinda synced up with AJ hitting the proverbial wall somewhat.  It was a tough pill to swallow if you’re an AJ fan but it went down and did the job lol.

Just goes to show his ceiling is pretty much what he wants it to be when we’re wondering what’s wrong with him when shooting under .400 from three for a stretch.  I’m totally present for a full off-season and camp of work with Kyle.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators
16 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Oh I have no doubt he will, Quin is keyed in on metrics obviously.  Can’t argue with Bey eating AJ’s minutes this season with a +9.4 on/off net across 3 positions since coming over.  Bey’s arrival kinda synced up with AJ hitting the proverbial wall somewhat.  It was a tough pill to swallow if you’re an AJ fan but it went down and did the job lol.

Just goes to show his ceiling is pretty much what he wants it to be when we’re wondering what’s wrong with him when shooting under .400 from three for a stretch.  I’m totally present for a full off-season and camp of work with Kyle.

Having AJ waiting in the wings does make the Bogi resign more surprising for me.  If I had to pick between Bogi and Bey right now, I would be on team Bey.  So either we are going to be comfortable with a much higher team salary next year or there is something else going on.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 2:08 PM, AHF said:

I would have thought he would have been pegged for a bigger role next season too but then they extended Bogi and makes me think that may not happen, at least not in ATL.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Packfill said:

I would have thought he would have been pegged for a bigger role next season too but then they extended Bogi and makes me think that may not happen, at least not in ATL.

I don't see how you don't give Griffin every chance to keep developing and be successful in Atlanta.  I agree that the Bogi extension is puzzling but with his health history I think you would be better playing Bogi 20 mpg or so and letting them be impactful minutes than giving him big run and having Griffin only get serious minutes when Bogi goes down.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cam1218 said:

In a funny twist of the us being most .500 team ever, the Hawks have scored 9,209 points this season and given up 9,210. 

The net rating in 17 games since Quin took over?  +0.1 point.  You can’t make this sh*t up.

There’s always been a concrete ceiling reinforced with steel on this roster but I thought he’d be worth about 2 points toward the differential for the final quarter of the season (2.5-3 being super optimistic).  I was wrong.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

The net rating in 17 games since Quin took over?  +0.1 point.  You can’t make this sh*t up.

There’s always been a concrete ceiling reinforced with steel on this roster but I thought he’d be worth about 2 points toward the differential for the final quarter of the season (2.5-3 being super optimistic).  I was wrong.

He doesn't have his coaching staff and isn't trying to really change what we are doing in-season.  He is seeing what he has and what works and doesn't work today.  I think this is an assessment period like a new CEO who visits all his sites over his first couple of months to get level set and to make decisions about what needs to change.  I expect the offseason is when we shift to changes in personnel, staff, and scheme.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2023 at 10:48 AM, REHawksFan said:

So where the Hawks really struggle is at the rim (restricted area) and in the midrange.  They are Top 10 in FG allowed in the paint and from 3. 

As long as you got Trae, POA defense will be ass.

On 3/30/2023 at 10:48 AM, REHawksFan said:

Just a snapshot of our main wings, sorted by the guys who have scored the most points against them. I'm also highlighting any guy that has shot 50%+ FG

Murray

image.thumb.png.448344924638bcb3d6e2b86060b685ba.png

Trae

image.thumb.png.540fa4be5e56bdc958de7dc038a4637e.png

Hunter

image.thumb.png.e9d64191f194752dbb9f6aa666efb764.png

Bogi

image.thumb.png.2bae4be9b67604ce091445275db6be3b.png

Bey

image.thumb.png.f34b8d6b086aff59d04abef13e35624b.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

As long as you got Trae, POA defense will be ass.

At this point the gameplan should be so simple. We know how teams want to attack us. They want Trae’s man involved in the the PNR to force the mismatch.

Defensively, we need to treat teams the way they treat us. Blitz the PnR and get the ball out of the playmaker’s hands. Have a 3 man zone ready for the release pass. 

Trae needs to be super aggressive when he is being sucked in to a PnR. No more switching or fighting over top, just blitz the ball carriers until they are too uncomfortable to keep running it. 

A 22-game sample is enough now for me to go gaga over Sadiq’s on/ off (+6.9, +0.8). That’s contending team starter level impact.  He was literally a perfect fit for this roster: marksman who can take out some garbage.  I think he and AJ have some sort of competition as to who can make the most patient paint scores after being chased off the line.  Sadiq’s two handed dunks and And 1s in those scenarios just blow my mind but I’ll gladly take the foul draws as well.

I didn’t realize Bogi was the elder statesman over Clint.  I think the brass saw him being more vocal and providing mentorship to AJ and Sadiq making his extension easier to swallow.  He and OO postgame were wearing the biggest smiles I seen all season outside of the AJ buzzer beaters.  Surprised OO didn’t let a curse word slip he’s a little on the loony side lol.

Edited by benhillboy