Official Playoff Game Thread: Hawks at Celtics -- GAME 2

lethalweapon3

6 hours ago, StonedDogs said:

@NBASupes a 6 footer hitting a floater over anyone 6"3 and up is impressive. Portis is very tall and Lopez is a giant to the avg man shopping in Publix 

There weren't athletes. Boston has athletes and Trae has always struggled against athletes with size. 

7 hours ago, StonedDogs said:

Schlenk wanted a Curry, Draymond, and Klay so bad out East. The Curry is th woat defensively and can't shoot 3s, the Draymond got out of shape and playing in Asia? And the Klay is playing against the real Klay on another team and is holding his own. Only Atlanta 

I was with you until Klay reference..

Huerter hasnt been anything special in the PLayoffs..He's getting outplayed by his backup Malik Monk

Edited by terrell

Well, we're proving that we are what we thought that we were.

Hawks are a .500 team, trying to compete with a top of the heap team.  Trae and Capela can't hit all their free throws.  Boston can steal the ball from us.  They can hit their three point shots.  When the Hawks have a temporary "sleepwalk moment" they run away and hide.

One thing I did notice.  Celtics knock down a Hawk player and land on top of him.  No foul.  We dare touch their star and he gets two free throws.  Strange.  

Trae goes to the locker room.  Hawks go on a little run.  He returns.  Run stops.  Celtics know how to put the hex on Trae Young.  

Coming home.  If we are to win one, now has to be the time.

:smug:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, terrell said:

I was with you until Klay reference..

Huerter hasnt been anything special in the PLayoffs..He's getting outplayed by his backup Malik Monk

Hurter may not be anything special but the Kings are 2-0 in the playoffs!  If the Hawks can't win, then I want Sacramento to.

GO KINGS !!

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

My takeaways....

• Trae needs to learn to run an offense that's more stable.  After the 4 turnovers in the first quarter, his playmaking became passive
  • JC plays good defense but he needs to find a role in this offense.
  • Murray shows up to big games
  • We need good POA defenders on this team... we have zero and our whole team gets blown by constantly
  • Boston is an extremely well rounded team.  They have +players 1-8.
  • It's impossible to expect Quin to be able to unwind the bad habits Nate set in for 2+ years.  Next year we should start building good habits in the regular season and be in better shape for a playoff run

Spot on. But how can we build good habits when we have players (and fans!) who don't give a rat's ass for the regular season? 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Threezus said:

Look here now i can want both gone or traded thats allowable my friend lol.    I couldn't stand nate as a coach so i'll gladly say im happy he is gone and i like Snyder as a coach much better than him and always have.   Now with that said im also fully on board trading Trae for a different star if we can.  I don't hate or dislike Trae i just think i can build a different type of team i like better around someone like Brown, Kat etc...

⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️ No way. If you want Trae traded you most definitely is a hater and not at all a fan of the Hawks. 

Don't try to fool us! 🤨

A Life In Random Fandom Moments — themandaloriandaily: THE MANDALORIAN  (2019- )

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, terrell said:

Its crazy people think fans are happy Trae is playing like this.. Crazy..

He's never been that guy that he and some Hawks fans think he is imo, but I still root for the kid.. Geez...

To be fair, Trae was golden in the ECF post season. From that time to nowadays... not really. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

There weren't athletes. Boston has athletes and Trae has always struggled against athletes with size. 

Partly true... 

But the real truth is that we don't have shooters that can put fear into Boston so they sit down in the paint and force us to beat them from outside.  Trae's best game is based on movement on the inside; i.e. PNR basketball...  But what happens if you have 5 people in the vicinity and all of them are long and athletic....   You can't make them move.

And Trae is shooting 21% from outside...   And Dre is shooting 21% from outside.  And JC is shooting 12.5% from outside...  And Clint's not going outside. 

So Boston has no reason to believe that we will put up shots.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

Partly true... 

But the real truth is that we don't have shooters that can put fear into Boston so they sit down in the paint and force us to beat them from outside.  Trae's best game is based on movement on the inside; i.e. PNR basketball...  But what happens if you have 5 people in the vicinity and all of them are long and athletic....   You can't make them move.

And Trae is shooting 21% from outside...   And Dre is shooting 21% from outside.  And JC is shooting 12.5% from outside...  And Clint's not going outside. 

So Boston has no reason to believe that we will put up shots.  

Let's say we do have shooting. We have Kevin and Bogi. They aren't great self creators and they can't defend. Now we are getting drilled and they are 15-20 million. They aren't exactly cheap and min guys. 

You guys want max guys around Trae. Brown is a max guy, Tatum is a max guy. Williams is a 12 million a year guy. Smart 20 mil guy. Brodgon is a 22 million. 

It's not easy to build around Trae when he's paid like this and Giving us value like this. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

To be fair, Trae was golden in the ECF post season. From that time to nowadays... not really. 

39% FG

28% 3pt FG

Trae Youngs playoff shooting percentage.

Thats indefensible...

9 hours ago, StonedDogs said:

Schlenk wanted a Curry, Draymond, and Klay so bad out East. The Curry is th woat defensively and can't shoot 3s, the Draymond got out of shape and playing in Asia? And the Klay is playing against the real Klay on another team and is holding his own. Only Atlanta 

Travis really took Spellman over Brunson after watching NCAA tourney plus Villanova workouts.. smdh

Did the same thing with Tyler Dorsey over Dillon Brooks. at Oregon...

Edited by terrell
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, terrell said:

Travis really took Spellman over Brunson after watching NCAA tourney plus Villanova workouts.. smdh

Insanity. 

4 minutes ago, terrell said:

He also took Trae over Luka. 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Let's say we do have shooting. We have Kevin and Bogi. They aren't great self creators and they can't defend. Now we are getting drilled and they are 15-20 million. They aren't exactly cheap and min guys. 

You guys want max guys around Trae. Brown is a max guy, Tatum is a max guy. Williams is a 12 million a year guy. Smart 20 mil guy. Brodgon is a 22 million. 

It's not easy to build around Trae when he's paid like this and Giving us value like this. 

With 2 guards, you don't need self creators.   You can actually start doing things like running Kev off of screens and finding him for an open shot on the Curl.   The thing that Kev gave us was a shooter who could hit movement shots as well as threes.   Dre doesn't do that.  What I thought about Kev was that Maryland Kev was very similar to Klay.  Kinda big guard who can hit movement shots and was a good three point shooter.   What happened to Kev is that he got hit hard in the Denver game a few years back and got scared to move through the paint.  I thought he was broken.

Now... the money issue is a different conversation... and a tangential one at that.. 

but if you put shooters around Trae, his spacing is going to be better.   Boston is not doubling Trae.. they are keeping a good defender on him though. and limiting his work inside.... which is his strength.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

With 2 guards, you don't need self creators.   You can actually start doing things like running Kev off of screens and finding him for an open shot on the Curl.   The thing that Kev gave us was a shooter who could hit movement shots as well as threes.   Dre doesn't do that.  What I thought about Kev was that Maryland Kev was very similar to Klay.  Kinda big guard who can hit movement shots and was a good three point shooter.   What happened to Kev is that he got hit hard in the Denver game a few years back and got scared to move through the paint.  I thought he was broken.

Now... the money issue is a different conversation... and a tangential one at that.. 

but if you put shooters around Trae, his spacing is going to be better.   Boston is not doubling Trae.. they are keeping a good defender on him though. and limiting his work inside.... which is his strength.

We know Dre doesn't do that but when Dre is out there, he can defend. You know what happens when it's Bogi and Kevin, we can't defend even against shit teams much less elite teams like Boston 

I don't disagree with your premise, we would be a better offense with Bogi and Kevin instead of Dre and Murray. That said, we would still be limited and defensively, we would get dominated by a scrub team much less Boston

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Moderators

We don't have good shooters.  We haven't had them all year.  The fact that the C's make dumb passes and turn the ball over gets totally covered up by 3 guys bombing threes.    It ain't all that complicated.  We have a lot of bad offensive players and despite our rose colored glasses some of our bench is unplayable in the playoffs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

We need better shooting and defense, but to be honest with you, that pretty much is the same as saying we need better players.  I don't know where we go from here.  I think Quin needs time to set a culture, root out guys who are not buying in, and softly rebuild the program from the ground up.  The front office, along with coaching, has all turned over this year.  We're in transition.  Look at this -- we need stability, badly.

image.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

We don't have good shooters.  We haven't had them all year.  The fact that the C's make dumb passes and turn the ball over gets totally covered up by 3 guys bombing threes.    It ain't all that complicated.  We have a lot of bad offensive players and despite our rose colored glasses some of our bench is unplayable in the playoffs. 

Our bench is tremendous in the RS but in the playoffs, Tatum and Brown are playing 40 mins a game. It's kinda hard my man for a bench. I used to say that about Playoff Bron, he's playing 44 minutes a game. It's kinda hard to quote RS stats for the bench when they aren't going up against Bron

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

We need better shooting and defense, but to be honest with you, that pretty much is the same as saying we need better players.  I don't know where we go from here.  I think Quin needs time to set a culture, root out guys who are not buying in, and softly rebuild the program from the ground up.  The front office, along with coaching, has all turned over this year.  We're in transition.  Look at this -- we need stability, badly.

image.png

I like many of our players including Trae. 

All of them especially the starters add value. We lost Kevin and he added value too.

It's just that, salary wise, we peaked with this core. 

OO about to get paid too but at least he's a championship level player unlike the others. 

We just need to build around Murray and Murray needs to realize, we can only win if we all take good contracts or at the most, market value

Edited by NBASupes