• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Playoff Game Thread: Hawks at Celtics -- GAME 2

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

As they should. 

Are you advocating that a non-playoff team should pay the tax next year?  I'm having trouble following the criteria here for when to invest.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AHF said:

Are you advocating that a non-playoff team should pay the tax next year?  I'm having trouble following the criteria here for when to invest.

They should, they have a good 4 season track record. Last year, they made a trade that f***ed up their chemistry without a chance to fix it. At the end of the day, Kyrie and Luka are top end players. You needed to see how it look and make trades to adjust. Three competitive playoffs runs and a WCF appearance. 

They need to get rid of the dead weight and upgrade them for teams looking to clear cap. Atlanta is one of them. Trade for JC, trade useless players like JaVale and Bertans. Trade the 10th pick and Hardaway Jr for OG. 

You have assets and you have options. They don't need stars, they already got them

We need stars. That's much harder to attain

What kind of deal we gonna do to get us a star. 

Edited by NBASupes

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae's last 3 minutes of the 1st Quarter was BRUTAL....I rewatched it made my eyes bleed.

TO, missed 3, TO, blocked shot, TO, blocked shot. 🤢🤢.....after playing beautiful ball to start. :blanky:

Yup! And it was hard to rewatch for me as well.

but what I have concluded is that Trae can be a more efficient player and make smart decisions IF he decides to but for whatever reason he gets into a “showboat and gloat” mode instead of doing what was working.

Now don’t get me wrong I personally like the showboating when a player really has it going! It just makes the game even more fun to watch …BUT it’s all about timing.

I just want Trae to control the game at all times like CP3 could in his prime because Trae has the skill he just has to do it like he did in the playoffs 2 years ago.

• Like 1

I'm gonna say something that may seem weird...the biggest reason this series and this year have gone the way it has been because of one reason: Tony Ressler and the Front Office. 

Trae has to be better 100% in this series even to win a game. He can't be chucking dumb shots, he has to be creating assists, showing actual effort on defense. The role players have to be hitting their shots and staying on their man and not be scared to defend the Celtics, but I've noticed during the series that the Celtics have an answer for literally everything Trae has done so far. Trae tries to go at someone, they load up the space him. Celtics wouldn't let him create shots, so Trae would have to rely on others to create. Other than Murray, who else would you rely on this roster to create? Hunter, a guy who dribbles of his own foot and had 4 turnovers yesterday? JC, a guy who can't dribble down the court? We have no POA defenders, a constant problem this whole season. The roster is basically not built to compete for the playoffs at all. We only have a few players that can pass well and can create their own shot and that flaw has shown clear as day in this series. Trae has to be 100% in order to even a win a game at this point. Its an impossible situation. 

This roster is good enough to be a regular-season team, but it gets exposed in the playoffs every time. The front office in 2021 hired Nate (the absolute worst choice for a Trae-led team) who did jack squat in developing the Hawks and now left us in this situation where we have no choice but to basically do a mini-rebuild next season. JC and Capela have to go and we have to get POA defenders immediately. I'm glad we made it to the playoffs because our flaws have been shown front and center. Hopefully, Quin can help us develop habits that will get us on the right track because the Hawks on the court look absolutely confused. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

This roster is good enough to be a regular-season team, but it gets exposed in the playoffs every time.

Not weird at all. Spot on. The only thing weird is reactions of anyone who thought Atlanta had any chance of making it out of the first round. Or even just being competitive. 

There is nothing surprising going on here, AT ALL. Playing .500 in the RS will be good enough to get you a .250 win percentage in the PS. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AtLaS said:

You have to look at the individual games though.  He had a few stinker games that dragged down his percentages (including the final game against Milwaukee on one leg), but he had some dominant games, and he was also EXTREMELY clutch.  The dude was a closer ALL playoffs.  Even in his bad game 7 against Philly he closed out that game at the end with key buckets and free throws. 

It doesn't matter man.  What Trae needs to do is just put up a very solid game, to start shutting people up.

The one good thing about this team is that if Murray keeps this level of play going, he could be the one that leads us in scoring in this series, with Trae being the complimentary guy.

And if that happens, that's actually a GREAT thing.  That's the kind of thing that a 2nd star on the team can do on occasion.

Tyrese Maxey did just that in the Brooklyn series.  Brooklyn has been doubling the hell out of Embiid. And the guy who tried to take over, Harden, was shooting horribly.  But it was Maxey and Tobias Harris who carried the team offensively.  Embiid tried to force a lot ( 8 turnovers in Game 2 ).  But Maxey had his back.

This is why Dejounte playing at the level he's trying to play at right now, is very good for this team.  If the Hawks can get any semblence of a defense going on a consistent basis, and not flat out implode offensively for 6 - 8 minute stretches, we can win Game 3.

But Trae will have to score the basketball, or be facilitating for assists at a high level ( without those consecutive turnovers ), for that to happen.

The noise will not die down for Trae, until he shuts people up.   A 32 point - 8 assist game on decent efficiency and a win, will do it.  A 19 point - 15 assist game, with 8 of those assist going for 3 pointers in a win, will do it too.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Do you honestly believe Hawks are going to make noise with that lineup? I doubt it but maybe it's just me. 

I think you missed something...   "But we're a long way from that."

As stated, that means that I do believe in the potential of OO, JJ, and AJ.   But they have not closed in on their potential yet.  We are a long ways from that... But when they do... Yes.. I believe that the lineup will make noise. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

I'm gonna say something that may seem weird...the biggest reason this series and this year have gone the way it has been because of one reason: Tony Ressler and the Front Office. 

Trae has to be better 100% in this series even to win a game. He can't be chucking dumb shots, he has to be creating assists, showing actual effort on defense. The role players have to be hitting their shots and staying on their man and not be scared to defend the Celtics, but I've noticed during the series that the Celtics have an answer for literally everything Trae has done so far. Trae tries to go at someone, they load up the space him. Celtics wouldn't let him create shots, so Trae would have to rely on others to create. Other than Murray, who else would you rely on this roster to create? Hunter, a guy who dribbles of his own foot and had 4 turnovers yesterday? JC, a guy who can't dribble down the court? We have no POA defenders, a constant problem this whole season. The roster is basically not built to compete for the playoffs at all. We only have a few players that can pass well and can create their own shot and that flaw has shown clear as day in this series. Trae has to be 100% in order to even a win a game at this point. Its an impossible situation. 

This roster is good enough to be a regular-season team, but it gets exposed in the playoffs every time. The front office in 2021 hired Nate (the absolute worst choice for a Trae-led team) who did jack squat in developing the Hawks and now left us in this situation where we have no choice but to basically do a mini-rebuild next season. JC and Capela have to go and we have to get POA defenders immediately. I'm glad we made it to the playoffs because our flaws have been shown front and center. Hopefully, Quin can help us develop habits that will get us on the right track because the Hawks on the court look absolutely confused. 

The good news is that the first two games has showcased our flaws.  We will prolly look a lot better in Game 3...  Others shoot better at home...  That's what has been helping fuel Boston and defuel us.   However, the fact still remains... we have no consistent shooters except Bogi.   We can put up 50 threes but if our guys are shooting 23%, 23%, 37%, 0%, and 12.5%... guess what Boston is going to do??  And the 37% is not a guarantee. 

The Front office needs to find the next Korver.   Maybe they need to inquire about Bojan or Duncan Robinson (yuck) or Max Struss or Burkes or Kennard or Buddy...  If you could clear salary, Jerami Grant is available. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

The good news is that the first two games has showcased our flaws.  We will prolly look a lot better in Game 3...  Others shoot better at home...  That's what has been helping fuel Boston and defuel us.   However, the fact still remains... we have no consistent shooters except Bogi.   We can put up 50 threes but if our guys are shooting 23%, 23%, 37%, 0%, and 12.5%... guess what Boston is going to do??  And the 37% is not a guarantee. 

The Front office needs to find the next Korver.   Maybe they need to inquire about Bojan or Duncan Robinson (yuck) or Max Struss or Burkes or Kennard or Buddy...  If you could clear salary, Jerami Grant is available. 

Doug McDermott

—or—

maybe Bey or Griffin could become that with offseason work with Korver himself. 

• Like 1

I am reading thru these posts but for some reasons I can't quote posters as the app wouldn't allow me do that. I can only reply to the topic. I see some posters are very high on Bey. He was 40% career FG shooter before coming to Atlanta by playing on one of the worst nba teams where nobody was even defending him. He's a terrible defender that didn't improve at all in the last 3 years. He had a good streach after coming to Atlanta but that's about it. Useless PO player that can't handle the ball, is not willing to pass the ball and can't create for himself. To expect him to improve in all of these areas is a pipe dream.

Dre is also not good. The word that he's a good defensive player is laughable. Someone who's averaging 31 min per game and grabs only 4 rebounds and has 0.5 steals and 0.3 blocks is not a good defenfender. He's lost in space and that can't be improved. Add his inability to pass the ball or create for himself or others and his weak handle and you're at the point that you can't trust that guy especially in the crunch time.

Hawks won't go far with these players 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

Doug McDermott

—or—

maybe Bey or Griffin could become that with offseason work with Korver himself. 

I like Bey, Griffin and Bogi.. but if none of them can crack the starting lineup, it's not something that we can move with.   It doesn't help Trae a whole lot to have all the shooters on the 2nd Unit and ass cheeks on the first unit. 

Do you start  Trae, Bogi, Bey.....  and on the 2nd Unit you have DJ, Griff, and Hunter?

How would that look?

Trae, Bogi, Bey, JJ, and Clint on the first unit...

DJ, Griff, Hunter, JC, and OO on the second unit....

And you Tulane that thing..   Don't mix the units at all...   Just 5 man units at a time. 

What if we did that in game 3??

• Premium Member

OK.. two squad system....

Trae, Bogi, Bey, JJ, and Clint on the first unit...

DJ, Griff, Hunter, JC, and OO on the second unit....

Blue team = Let it fly...  Red Team = PNR. 

Team Let it fly, you put everybody on the perimeter.  Spread the defense out.  Let Trae play 1-5 PNR and find open shooters when Boston shut it down. 

Team PNR... is just straight PNR.  OO and JC at the elbows...   Nobody down low..   DJ decides where he wants to PNR to...  Griff = Shooter.   Hunter can drive or shoot. 

On 4/19/2023 at 10:06 AM, BrazilianHawk said:

⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️ No way. If you want Trae traded you most definitely is a hater and not at all a fan of the Hawks. 

Don't try to fool us! 🤨

A Life In Random Fandom Moments — themandaloriandaily: THE MANDALORIAN  (2019- )

lol what just because i think their are better players in the nba than Trae makes me not a Hawks fan?  If anything i think me wanting to upgrade him to make a better Hawks team would make me even more of a Hawks fan would it not?  Im more than willing to trade any player on any team in any sport to better the team i cheer for as long as i believe it will get us closer to a championship. 

Based on the way you are thinking it seems if Embidd or Joker were offered for trae you would turn it down because trading Trae makes you not a Hawks fan thats just absurd.