2023 Draft Thread

akay

• Moderators

So if KB is DM 2.0 is this is preparing to be without DM?  Better be by trade considering what we gave up to get Dejointe.  Drafting insurance for a guy in his mid-20s who you just gave up a ton to acquire last summer just seems very strange without other moves to follow.  Feels like a team that is insecure about keeping DM (which would be a harsh condemnation of that trade) or planning to deal him.

• Like 3

Just now, RedDawg#8 said:

Let’s see, Kobe is a hard nosed worker praised for his effort and intensity in workouts.

He is a defensive minded guard who can defend the point of attack.

He has the size and versatility to play alongside a ball dominant PG or next to a scoring guard by sharing ball handling responsibility.

Sounds like a great fit for us. Doesn’t solve all of our needs but definitely helps us in areas we are weak.

Well said.  I understand how he fills some needs.

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

So if KB is DM 2.0 is this is preparing to be without DM?  Better be by trade considering what we gave up to get Dejointe.  Drafting insurance for a guy in his mid-20s who you just gave up a ton to acquire last summer just seems very strange without other moves to follow.  Feels like a team that is insecure about keeping DM (which would be a harsh condemnation of that trade) or planning to deal him.

Tough decisions coming next summer, that's for sure. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

I think he will be a good player but good lord...Unless he does become a combo guard allowing us to trade Murray so Aj and Bogie can see the court, I think it is total redundancy!

It is a very strange pick to me.  Doubly so if we came in targeting him as @Sothron mentioned.  Why trade a ton for a young guy and then use the best pick you’ve had in several years on his clone.  He even has DM’s suspect 3pt shot I was sorry to see.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

It is a very strange pick to me.  Doubly so if we came in targeting him as @Sothron mentioned.  Why trade a ton for a young guy and then use the best pick you’ve had in several years on his clone.  He even has DM’s suspect 3pt shot I was sorry to see.

He will become a better shooter with time.  He is an 85% shooter from the ft line.  we just need to focus on moving Murray before his value tanks

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

So we going to act like Bey ain't a big wing? Not to mention JJ can guard the undersized 4’s who play on the perimeter.

I know I know

Im a casual who doesn’t understand the modern game. 

Lol

Bey can't defend 2 and 3 and below average defending big wings and 4s. 

JJ defensively can defend 3s and big wings but he can't play on the perimeter offensively unless he's next to someone like Bey who draws a lot of attention and he can focus on attacking bad closeouts. 

None are big wings, just forwards 

1 minute ago, AHF said:

In fairness, just about anyone they could have taken at 15 is not going to see rotation minutes as a rookie given the current line-up.  Not sure I see a starter here even in the long term but he could be a good third guard in a couple years.

Still, I for sure would have taken Whitmore there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He will become a better shooter with time.  He is an 85% shooter from the ft line.  we just need to focus on moving Murray before his value tanks

I hope so.  Being unable to hit 36% on college 3’s doesn’t bode well for the immediate future.  (32.5% in college; 35.5% last year)

If he is going to play next to DM, he needs to be able to stroke the 3.  If he is going to play next to Trae, he needs to be able to defend wings.  I’m not really expecting either of those next year.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Packfill said:

In fairness, just about anyone they could have taken at 15 is not going to see rotation minutes as a rookie given the current line-up.  Not sure I see a starter here even in the long term but he could be a good third guard in a couple years.

Still, I for sure would have taken Whitmore there.  

If we were targeting him coming into the draft, that means taking him over some good players who seem like more natural fits for this roster’s needs.  I say that assuming the plan is to keep DM but it makes perfect sense if we are going to shop DM for another position.

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

The issue is probably money. Atlanta wants to keep DM, but he could command a max contract. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

The issue is probably money. Atlanta wants to keep DM, but he could command a max contract. 

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

I hope we don't wait to trade him.

If we aren’t going to resign him, Peo is 100% right.  Trade him at the first opportunity for solid value and chalk the trade up as a failure.  You don’t trade a bunch of picks for a 25 year old to watch him walk in free agency.

• Like 3