• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

2 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

That's true but there are a lot more dynamics than that. If JB signs a supermax today I guess we'll find out. I think he needs to sign today or else stuff starts getting weird. 

For sure. The longer they go without getting an extension done, the higher eyebrows will be raised.

Everyone knows the number…it’s THE max. So what’s taking so long?

• Premium Member

Ranking the Top NBA Trade Targets Still on the Market

(written prior to the DJ extention since he gers honorable mention)

1. Damian Lillard

2. Zach Lavine

3. Paul George

4. James Harden

5. Pascal Siakam 

Pascal Siakam's reported hesitancy to re-sign with the team that acquires him should cool the market.

On the other hand, Siakam is a two-time All-NBA honoree entering the last year of his deal for a Toronto Raptors team that should be considering a rebuild after losing Fred VanVleet. Fortunately for the Raps, who are probably kicking themselves for not dealing FVV at the 2023 trade deadline, interest in Siakam persists.......Siakam has to be worth at least one unprotected first-round pick and a decent young player, plus salary filler. And if he softens his stance on re-signing with his new team, the price could go up significantly.

Honorable Mention

Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota Timberwolves

Towns has never truly been on the block, and the Wolves seem committed to giving the roster they rebuilt last summer a full opportunity to prove itself. A calf injury prevented KAT from jelling with Rudy Gobert in 2022-23. If things go sideways this year, expect the trade talk surrounding Towns and his Designated Veteran supermax deal to resume in earnest.

Jaylen Brown, Boston Celtics

The new CBA made it easier for the Celtics to retain Brown via extension by raising the allowed starting salary on a new deal. Brown and Boston have yet to make their continued partnership official, but a five-year, $295 million extension feels more like a "when" than an "if".

Dejounte Murray, Atlanta Hawks

Murray's case is different from Brown's. An extension for him could only start at $25.4 million per year, too low in light of the three-year, $140 million deal comparable starter Fred VanVleet just signed with the Houston Rockets. Because Murray seems much more likely than Brown to hit unrestricted free agency in 2024, the odds are higher that he'll be dealt.

Still, much like with Towns in Minnesota, one gets the feeling Atlanta wants a sense of what the current roster can do under Quin Snyder for a full year before it makes any major decisions on Murray.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10081558-ranking-the-top-nba-trade-targets-still-on-the-market

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

KAT is great.. to me Jaylen Brown is better.

I agree and I wouldn’t hesitate to bring JB here. I would trade anybody and everybody other than Trae. You do that for young, all-NBA talent.

I’d imagine Boston would want Bey, AJ, and OO as the young players plus a pick or 2. OO fits well with KP and Bey replaces JB in the starting 5.

Trae / DJM / Brown / JJ / Cap is a really good starting 5. But I don’t know if that’s better than -

Trae / DJM / Hunter / KAT / OO

I’d be happy with either of these scenarios. I want to win now and both of these are win-now moves. Go Hawks!!!

• Like 1
      • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
      1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

Exactly, the Celtics won't be desperate either to trade an All-NBA talent for a lesser package. We would ABSOLUTELY be out-bidded unless JB pulls a "ONLY ATLANTA". Thankfully Dame already set that precedent.

JB is good but I'm okay with getting any 3rd star as long as the price is right. And if I'm the Hawks, I'm not waiting around for that drama.

You're dreaming right?

I could do a Bogi, OO, JJ trade.   But that would be it.   No AJ.  No 4 picks.  

Now back to your premise that the Celtics are not desperate....

Disagree. 

The longer this "negotiation" of the supermax goes, the more desperate they become... If he makes it to FAcy next season, he leaves.   Hell, we might get him for the 1 year minimum.   If they don't sign him in the next few days, they will start getting Low ball offers.   Other teams can smell desperation. 

Have you ever stopped to wonder... why do you have to negotiate a Supermax?

They should have been signed him. 

The negotiate suggests to me that they may be trying to bring him down off the supermax.  For a player who had to create his own space on the team.. I doubt that he would want to stay with them for anything less than the supermax. 

So Boston is desperate because i don't believe they want to pay him.   They have postured well in the media but a bluff is a bluff... now is the time to show the cards and they aren't showing.

• Like 2

On Jaylen,

I love the dude, he’s prolly a top 10 player in the league to me simply because of his availability alone. Having said that, he goes awfully hard on the court. 

Is his body gonna break down, knees or anything? If Boston is pulling a fast one on folks that’s bs. Watch they are prolly hiding some medical report on him. 

15 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

On Jaylen,

I love the dude, he’s prolly a top 10 player in the league

17 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya this is too rich for me. OO and AJ are gonna be special. I honestly can’t hand them over to the C’s voluntarily. 

You wouldn’t trade OO and AJ for a top 10 player in the league? That’s wild bro.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

You wouldn’t trade OO and AJ for a top 10 player in the league? That’s wild bro.

I see how you layer it out there. Makes me look like a moron. 👀 thanks! 

I dunno, it doesn’t add up like that to me. 

The 🕳️ :unsure: … is greater than the sum of its parts. 

Really think about that for a sec..

🤔 

• Thanks 1
      • Haha 1

• Premium Member
      2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Murray's case is different from Brown's. An extension for him could only start at $25.4 million per year, too low in light of the three-year, $140 million deal comparable starter Fred VanVleet just signed with the Houston Rockets. Because Murray seems much more likely than Brown to hit unrestricted free agency in 2024

Beating out these expectations is why our offseason is already a success

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Any talk about bringing Gallo back?

I think Gallo is done. He’s too much of a vet 😂 for us. 18th year now. Wasn’t he drafted in 06? I dunno, I love dudes shooting, still one of the most accurate but can his body take it anymore? 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
      16 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Yes, but it would be nice if we could bring in at least just one new player of consequence, even if we can't get one of the big fish. 

Yeah, but I'd only really be happy if we landed Siakam or JB because both of those guys wouldn't be 35% maxes, and both of them stay healthy and would fit well into the roster.  I agree with your sentiment on KAT, and in addition to injury risk, massive drain on cap space, he doesn't fit as well as the other two.  We become really pigeon holed at every other position because Trae+KAT has to be two of the worse defenders at their positions in the NBA.  So making a deal for KAT before giving Snyder time with the roster feels really rushed and could hamstring our top 5 coach's ability to get us to the next level

• Like 4