Jump to content

2023-24 NBA Regular Season: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.


JayBirdHawk

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SalvorMallow said:

The number that pops out the most to me here as a huge change from last season is the transition frequency and efficiency. Nate's offense dictated that we walk the ball up and use our guards to try and break down a set defense. 

 

Is this drastic increase in transition opportunities sustainable? Will it translate to playoff success where the pace grinds down? 

Nate wanted to limit possessions with ball control. Slowing our opponents down. We were still a really good offense under this style, as we obviously shot better.

Quinn likes us to play with pace and get transition buckets. Forcing the defense to run more and have to take the ball out of the basket. We have not shot well as a team and are still toward ms the top in overall offense which should scare people once our 3’s finally start to fall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What the hell for??? :blanky:

 

 

 

25 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

No, seriously, like why?

It’s only 2 rounds, and most people stop caring after the lottery picks as is.

The only reason it to try to make more money off of it.  But that is really stupid.  They should drop this idea for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
45 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

No, seriously, like why?

It’s only 2 rounds, and most people stop caring after the lottery picks as is.

 

19 minutes ago, AHF said:

 

The only reason it to try to make more money off of it.  But that is really stupid.  They should drop this idea for sure.

They're saying GMs need more time so if they're working on trades.....please, if you give them 3 more minutes, it'll be if I had 1 more minute I'd would have made that trade. :blanky:

Or it's 2nd round picks occur during ads, so cut out the ads.

Just a Money Grab.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member

Adam Silver wants NBA media to do a better job covering lesser-known squads

i_ce_e1_6d_adam-silver.png?w=190

It’s no secret NBA viewership is chasing the NFL’s audience. But league commissioner Adam Silver believes if basketball media did a better job breaking down lesser-known squads, the NBA could “become more NFL-like” for casual sports fans. “Historically, if you asked casual fans, ‘Are you going to watch the NBA Finals?’ They would say, ‘Who’s going to be in it?’” Silver explained in an interview with JJ Redick released on Wednesday. “And if you asked an NFL fan if they were going to watch the Super Bowl, they would never say, ‘Only if the Giants are in it.’ It’s a national holiday.”
 
“Part of my job is to take people who are fans of the game … and by definition create interest in whoever the teams are that are most successful,” the commissioner said on The Old Man and the Three. “I think where we can all do a better job, and again I’m not just pointing to the media here, is talking more about the game. My frustration a bit, I think sometimes the color commentary in our games gets reduced to, ‘this team wanted it more’ or ‘this team tried harder.’”
 
 
Silver believes that in order to raise interest in every team every night, the discussion needs to be more granular and more celebratory. “There is this sense (in football) where the coaches are viewed as these field generals, going out there with these complex schemes,” Silver told Redick, who works as an NBA analyst at ESPN. “Then in basketball, it’s just about athleticism. That somehow the coach’s job is just to get the guys to play hard. Rather than … these incredibly sophisticated defenses and offenses.”
 
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Adam Silver wants NBA media to do a better job covering lesser-known squads

i_ce_e1_6d_adam-silver.png?w=190

It’s no secret NBA viewership is chasing the NFL’s audience. But league commissioner Adam Silver believes if basketball media did a better job breaking down lesser-known squads, the NBA could “become more NFL-like” for casual sports fans. “Historically, if you asked casual fans, ‘Are you going to watch the NBA Finals?’ They would say, ‘Who’s going to be in it?’” Silver explained in an interview with JJ Redick released on Wednesday. “And if you asked an NFL fan if they were going to watch the Super Bowl, they would never say, ‘Only if the Giants are in it.’ It’s a national holiday.”
 
“Part of my job is to take people who are fans of the game … and by definition create interest in whoever the teams are that are most successful,” the commissioner said on The Old Man and the Three. “I think where we can all do a better job, and again I’m not just pointing to the media here, is talking more about the game. My frustration a bit, I think sometimes the color commentary in our games gets reduced to, ‘this team wanted it more’ or ‘this team tried harder.’”
 
 
Silver believes that in order to raise interest in every team every night, the discussion needs to be more granular and more celebratory. “There is this sense (in football) where the coaches are viewed as these field generals, going out there with these complex schemes,” Silver told Redick, who works as an NBA analyst at ESPN. “Then in basketball, it’s just about athleticism. That somehow the coach’s job is just to get the guys to play hard. Rather than … these incredibly sophisticated defenses and offenses.”
 

It doesn’t help that old adam props up individuals in the sport like Lebron, Giannis, Steph..

Quit doing that and focus on a whole team and you’ll do better.. 

Do a better job at making it more likely for teams other than Celtics and Lakers to win a championship. 

or at least quit hyping up those stupid af matchups

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Adam Silver wants NBA media to do a better job covering lesser-known squads

i_ce_e1_6d_adam-silver.png?w=190

It’s no secret NBA viewership is chasing the NFL’s audience. But league commissioner Adam Silver believes if basketball media did a better job breaking down lesser-known squads, the NBA could “become more NFL-like” for casual sports fans. “Historically, if you asked casual fans, ‘Are you going to watch the NBA Finals?’ They would say, ‘Who’s going to be in it?’” Silver explained in an interview with JJ Redick released on Wednesday. “And if you asked an NFL fan if they were going to watch the Super Bowl, they would never say, ‘Only if the Giants are in it.’ It’s a national holiday.”
 
“Part of my job is to take people who are fans of the game … and by definition create interest in whoever the teams are that are most successful,” the commissioner said on The Old Man and the Three. “I think where we can all do a better job, and again I’m not just pointing to the media here, is talking more about the game. My frustration a bit, I think sometimes the color commentary in our games gets reduced to, ‘this team wanted it more’ or ‘this team tried harder.’”
 
 
Silver believes that in order to raise interest in every team every night, the discussion needs to be more granular and more celebratory. “There is this sense (in football) where the coaches are viewed as these field generals, going out there with these complex schemes,” Silver told Redick, who works as an NBA analyst at ESPN. “Then in basketball, it’s just about athleticism. That somehow the coach’s job is just to get the guys to play hard. Rather than … these incredibly sophisticated defenses and offenses.”
 

I'm not generally one to admire something Adam Silver says, but that's more often than not been a product of his contentment to politicize his league's presentation of itself.

In this case, at first glance anyway, I think there's substance to what he's saying... though, let's face it, any comparison with the NFL--a game that people will spend a week between games discussing both players' athleticism and coaches' strategic decisions--is inherently going to fall flat because the strategic element isn't as easy to diagnose... ie, what are they doing different this time down the floor as opposed to the last time or 5 minutes ago or at the beginning of the game or earlier in the season... and isn't as easy to assess... ie, what's the rationale for the decisions the coaches made, and why is that rationale smart or not so much?

There are other big elements missing in these quotes, though maybe touched on in the broader conversation.

For instance, that the NBA plays so many games that, like MLB, the build-up for any given game inherently can't be all that attention-getting. And also like MLB, that seems to lend itself to a whole lot less interest for Joe and Jane Fan beyond his/her own team.

So. Yeah. It's complicated. And the only safe conclusion I come to is that if the NBA wants to grow so much as to challenge the NFL a generation from now, there would need to be some large-scale... and thus, risky... changes attempted that go pretty far beyond merely adding an (ill-conceived) in-season tournament.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AHF said:

 

The only reason it to try to make more money off of it.  But that is really stupid.  They should drop this idea for sure.

I thought I remember something a while back that they were considering expanding the draft to three or four rounds? International expansion related. 
maybe I’m completely making that up, but that could be part of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
12 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

I thought I remember something a while back that they were considering expanding the draft to three or four rounds? International expansion related. 
maybe I’m completely making that up, but that could be part of it. 

The draft obviously used to be much longer and there are some gems that go I drafted today, but I already don’t care very much about our second round picks.  I’m interested because they are Hawks but generally I only care after the fact to see which ones emerge from the detritus that is the second round.  How much less would I care about the third or fourth rounds?

Seems like you’d also have to somehow expand rosters (maybe more 2 way slots?) to have players actually held by a team if you are now drafting 3-4 people every draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
34 minutes ago, Diesel said:

image.png

Don't make me angry...  You wouldn't like me when I'm angry!!!

It's kind of funny because in Utah i felt like he was permanent scowl and scream.  In Atlanta he seems much more positive.  Maybe i only saw his Utah lowlights. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...