• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Regular Season: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

JayBirdHawk

If they did a second night of the draft it would be more about bringing on the lottery picks, GMs, and analysts talking about the first round picks.  The same stuff they do now, it would just give them two nights of prime time instead of one.  

Have no idea who would watch night two.  

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

If they did a second night of the draft it would be more about bringing on the lottery picks, GMs, and analysts talking about the first round picks.  The same stuff they do now, it would just give them two nights of prime time instead of one.  

Have no idea who would watch night two.  

Not me that's for sure.  I already give up on the draft halfway through round 2 as it is.   

• Moderators
2 hours ago, mountainjim said:

https://x.com/TheTraeYoung/status/1722690827229524194?s=20

Just realized I don't know how to insert xeets/tweets on this forum - Trae's response to the Hawks video above.

I'll edit it, but get rid of the "?s=20" appendage on the weblink before pasting it here.

(EDIT) and now I've got "In Between The Xeets" by the Isley Bros stuck in between my ears.

~lw3

• Thanks 1

Dejounte's reaction  (and proof I learned from above helpful post)

and The Athletic Bounce coverage

"Only Hawks Fans" is too hot for Twitter

Have you heard of Only Fans? Whoa, that’s a weird question to ask by work email. If, um, you haven’t heard of it, let’s make sure you’re not searching what it is on any work devices maybe enact some incognito mode. We'll call it, uhh … a social media platform? One in which many people are paid to be naked or otherwise. 

What does that have to do with the Atlanta Hawks? I’m glad you asked! Yesterday, their social media team posted a hilarious video spoofing one of those 976 number commercials from the '90s, but its premise had an Only Hawks Fans slant 

We had the Harry the Hawk mascot on a bed, being … sensual? I guess. All the while, it was a promotion for the In-Season Tournament. I laughed and thought it was well done. It became even funnier that I found out about this video because Hawks guard Dejounte Murray quote-tweeted it with 

“MANNNNNNN DELETE THIS S***!!!!!!!” 

We live in a very progressive and open society, Dejounte. But we must be fair. Maybe it was inappropriate. So, I watched it again and went to the website they made for this (don’t worry; it’s safe).  

To be fair to Dejounte, he’s in the site’s promo picture, and I saw the Hawks are giving away a commemorative ticket and the blandest In-Season Tournament T-shirt imaginable for their two home games of group play. 

However, I watched the video again and still laughed when they whispered, “Hot five-on-five action,” at the end. Sorry, Dejounte. This should not be deleted. And where were you when the NBA announced a Skims partnership?

Thankfully, this didn’t distract the Hawks in Mexico City, where they beat Orlando 120-119. Trae Young had 41 points, and Murray scored 16.

Edited by mountainjim
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, kg01 said:

I wonder how this dude really feels about Lames Harden.....

:Bob: Last time I saw somebody get burned that bad, it was the 70's, I was a hippie, and I learned the hard way that some 'love' ain't free.

🤓

The uncomfortability of the co-hosts....  

The only thing that would have made that better is that James Harden was there..... live... FTF....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

Last Week:5

Record: 5-4

OffRtg: 116.2 (6) DefRtg: 113.1 (18) NetRtg: +3.1 (9) Pace: 103.5 (2)

A four-game winning streak that included three (seemingly) quality wins had the Hawks in the top five last week. But what was the league’s third-ranked offense took a step backward as they lost two of three, including an important game against the Heat on Saturday.

Three takeaways

• Their new (more aggressive) defense hasn’t been great, but the Hawks are 5-0 when they’ve scored more efficiently than the league average and 0-4 when they haven’t. Offensive success hasn’t always been about their shooting, as their loss to Miami came with both their highest turnover rate and lowest free throw rate of the season.
  • Among 139 players with at least 75 field goal attempts, Trae Young ranks 134th in effective field goal percentage at 41.7%, by far the lowest mark of his career. But he has the third-highest free throw rate (53 attempts per 100 shots from the field) among that same group, and has shot 89.9% from the line, including 33-for-35 over the last three games.
  • The Hawks rank last (by a healthy margin) in time of possession at 19.3 minutes per game. They lead the league in the percentage of possessions (21.2%) that have been in transition and they’ve averaged a league-low 13.5 seconds per possession.

The Hawks have still played a relatively tough schedule, with six of their nine games having come against teams that currently have winning records. They won’t have their first rest-advantage game until next week and they’ll be at a disadvantage when they host New York on Wednesday.

They’re one of three teams that haven’t played an In-Season Tournament game, but they’ll play three over the next nine days.

https://www.nba.com/news/power-rankings-2023-24-week-4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Wizards are horrible, despite covering the +8.5 last night.

16 point lead with 7 minutes to go.  Absolutely killing Toronto the entire game.

They would not make a single FG the rest of the game, and get outscored 21 - 1 to close the game.  Kuzma hits a FT with 5:47 to go, and they get blanked for the rest of the game.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

tonight might be the first time in the Trae era that I skip a Hawks game to watch a different NBA game.  Chet vs Wemby on TNT has me very excited.    Also throw in Duke vs Michigan State, Marquette vs Illinois and Kansas vs Kentucky and there simply aren't enough hours available tonight to watch all the games I want to see.    

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, shakes said:

tonight might be the first time in the Trae era that I skip a Hawks game to watch a different NBA game.  Chet vs Wemby on TNT has me very excited.    Also throw in Duke vs Michigan State, Marquette vs Illinois and Kansas vs Kentucky and there simply aren't enough hours available tonight to watch all the games I want to see.    

Pistons are not exactly must-see TV but I still have to watch the Hawks.  The marketing for Chet v Wemby is insufferable enough for me not to want to have that station on.  Maybe if I could mute the announcers.

15 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Another team missing players....

Screenshot_20231113_190609_Samsung Internet.jpg

Another potential trap game.

Detroit plays really solid defense, and Month has them bought in on that end of the court. We struggle to score/shoot, and we don’t do well vs the teams that are physical on defense. Talent out the window, this isn’t a good style matchup for us.

Cade cooked us last year, we cannot fall asleep at the wheel or we could be in for another dogfight.

1 hour ago, shakes said:

I never bought into nor paid any attention to the Wemby hype.  It was obvious his shot selection and poor center of gravity were gonna be issues.  Now I’ve seen “reports” that Pop isn’t even trying to coach him, just let him “do his thing” which is disappointing and ridiculous.

That kid has a .500 eFG and 114 defensive rating.  Chet?  .637 and 108.  So much more polished on both ends.  Granted the Spurs don’t have anyone even resembling a PG but it’s still a huge gulf in impact.

As good as Chet and SGA are Jaylen Williams slick has the highest entertainment factor for OKC.  It’s like he parachutes and and rides motorcycles on and off the floor lol.

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

That kid has a .500 eFG and 114 defensive rating.  Chet?  .637 and 108.  So much more polished on both ends.  Granted the Spurs don’t have anyone even resembling a PG but it’s still a huge gulf in impact.

Given that Chet is two years older, I don't find that terribly surprising.