• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Pacers at Hawks -- IST Game #3

lethalweapon3

40 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm now wondering if he's on the full Quin buy in as @thecampster indicated he wasn't when Q first arrived.

Nah nah nah, Campster gets credit for JJ and his stat average expectancies being on 

but…

Not for Dre. I made the Marv Dre thread 🧵 a couple years ago. I want a chocolate chip 🍪 Burd, a BIG O one 😐 {I’m right here…}

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Nah nah nah, Campster gets credit for JJ and his stat average expectancies being on 

but…

Not for Dre. I made the Marv Dre thread 🧵 a couple years ago. I want a chocolate chip 🍪 Burd, a BIG O one 😐 {I’m right here…}

Here.... 🍪....don't eat it all at once.

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I honestly don't know how you fix this team. Literally, everyone else in our division is in a better position for the future than us. 

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

So what do you want to do with Hunter? You lose him, this team instantly sinks. What do you want to do?

I understand the frustration about Dre on offense especially in the last 6 games. So I am asking Dre haters, what do you want to do other than bitch and moan?

First, I reserve my right to bitch and moan.

Second, for what I would realistically want to do with Dre... I'm not really sure.  The way I see it right now is Dre is the band-aid holding together a flawed roster.  And not a good band-aid, more like a Disney theme colorful band-aid, unserious and unmotivated band-aid.  Moving him for another player isn't a cure-all... we definitely agree on that, so I understand it would be one of many moves we'd have to make.  So I'd like to rip the band-aid off and restructure... but I recognize that will probably takes a couple of years to do, given we are not in a great position asset-wise. 

This is completely open ended and we could go a number of different ways, but I don't see any team that has Hunter as a starting SF winning a chip.  I'm hoping we can get 1-2 rotation players out of our end of bench and G league roster.  But I would want the front office to work towards something like this below, depending on how our young guys develop and what trade opportunities arise.  Only including the starting lineup because trade activity would make a full roster prediction impossible this far into the future.  This would assume some guys develop and get better in the next two years, particularly on the defensive end...

Starting Lineup in 2025-2026 season:

PG: Trae or DJ

SG: AJ or DJ or [defensive minded 2 guard]

SF: Bey or JJ

PF: JJ or [3&D PF]

Ctr: [Stretch 5 we traded for or Sabonis type center]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When it comes to knowing all the inner-workings of a NBA team, I'll admit, I'm as dumb as a box of rocks.

That being said, I offer some of my thoughts on last night's game.

Hawks lost by 5 points.  They missed 5 free throws.  Do the math.

Pacers hit 22 threes.  Hawks hit 15.  Do the math.

About the Hawks defense.  In the NFL the QB calls the plays.  Who is the Hawk's defensive QB?  Who calls the plays?  Someone is accountable.  I know.  It's a new system and it takes time.  Saying the team defense was better last season is true.  Players all knew the defense that was being used and someone was the QB and called out who, what and where I'm sure.

I know.  You don't want me to mention a certain Pacer so I will refrain.

We must forget last night and prepare for tonight.  Hawks are due for a winning game.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

:smug:

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Hawks lost by 5 points.  They missed 5 free throws.  Do the math.

Pacers hit 22 threes.  Hawks hit 15.  Do the math.

About the Hawks defense.  In the NFL the QB calls the plays.  Who is the Hawk's defensive QB? 

GO ATL HAWKS !!

:smug:

hammer_hit_nail.gif&ehk=qHGVz%2B2HZXMhnj

Noted GM pet peeve - freethrows

21 point differential in 3s

I Keep asking who is the Yang on defense to Trae's Ying on offense?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

hammer_hit_nail.gif&ehk=qHGVz%2B2HZXMhnj

Noted GM pet peeve - freethrows

21 point differential in 3s

I Keep asking who is the Yang on defense to Trae's Ying on offense?

When the Hawks made their run in 2020-2021 Clint had a DPOY type of season, and the Hawks were actually playing defense under Nate. Can't find the number but I'm pretty sure they showed it in one of the late season telecasts that the Hawks under Nate that year after the LP firing were 1st in Ortg, and around 12th in Drtg. That's kind of where you need to be to make a run. Clint isn't horrible now or anything, he's still clearly the best defender on the team, but he isn't anywhere near that level anymore, probably around top 15 or 20 on defense rather than top 3. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

When the Hawks made their run in 2020-2021 Clint had a DPOY type of season, and the Hawks were actually playing defense under Nate. Can't find the number but I'm pretty sure they showed it in one of the late season telecasts that the Hawks under Nate that year after the LP firing were 1st in Ortg, and around 12th in Drtg. That's kind of where you need to be to make a run. Clint isn't horrible now or anything, he's still clearly the best defender on the team, but he isn't anywhere near that level anymore, probably around top 15 or 20 on defense rather than top 3. 

Notably, Trae was just as good (bad) then that he is now.  The difference is nobody else is picking up the slack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

First, I reserve my right to bitch and moan.

Second, for what I would realistically want to do with Dre... I'm not really sure.  The way I see it right now is Dre is the band-aid holding together a flawed roster.  And not a good band-aid, more like a Disney theme colorful band-aid, unserious and unmotivated band-aid.  Moving him for another player isn't a cure-all... we definitely agree on that, so I understand it would be one of many moves we'd have to make.  So I'd like to rip the band-aid off and restructure... but I recognize that will probably takes a couple of years to do, given we are not in a great position asset-wise. 

This is completely open ended and we could go a number of different ways, but I don't see any team that has Hunter as a starting SF winning a chip.  I'm hoping we can get 1-2 rotation players out of our end of bench and G league roster.  But I would want the front office to work towards something like this below, depending on how our young guys develop and what trade opportunities arise.  Only including the starting lineup because trade activity would make a full roster prediction impossible this far into the future.  This would assume some guys develop and get better in the next two years, particularly on the defensive end...

Starting Lineup in 2025-2026 season:

PG: Trae or DJ

SG: AJ or DJ or [defensive minded 2 guard]

SF: Bey or JJ

PF: JJ or [3&D PF]

Ctr: [Stretch 5 we traded for or Sabonis type center]

I can't lie, you made me laugh. I liked the effort and the content was fun for sure. Good post. 

You don't think Denver would win the title replacing Porter Jr with Hunter? That would make them even more lethal. I clearly think you can a title with him as your starting role player. Probably not as one of your top 3 player but 4-5, absolutely. The reason we can't win is because of 1 and 2. Trae and Murray aren't good enough 

That team will have a top 5 pick next year going to San Antonio. Congratulations!

Edited by NBASupes

20 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

He's not the best defender on the squad anymore. That's Hunter. That said, Capela was the clear #2 behind legendary ATG defensive player, Gobert. Both got worse on defense but Capela while still a good defender ain't what he used to be. He just don't have the athleticism he used to have. 

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's not the best defender on the squad anymore. That's Hunter. That said, Capela was the clear #2 behind legendary ATG defensive player, Gobert. Both got worse on defense but Capela while still a good defender ain't what he used to be. He just don't have the athleticism he used to have. 

Yea man, he wasn't blowing open dunks back then that's for sure. 

• Haha 1