• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

23 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

-- I think that's why some people are entertaining (myself included) the idea of flipping him. 

Right.  There’ the key word.  That’s all it is.  Entertaining the idea.  Pros and Cons…different scenarios.

We are all aware of the how things are going.  We all know the financial situation.   If we try to envision what the squad could look like with Trae and different pieces, why not think of what it might look like without him too?  

For everybody that’s anti trading Trae, this doesn’t mean we’re ready to write him off.  Just taking different options into consideration.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

They want to play together but they both know this isn't working. DJM taking his deal and his comments about "loyalty" were about him showing loyalty to the Hawks in more than one way. DJM would not be opposed to trade out of Atlanta. He knows he isn't playing his natural position. He wants to be a PG again. Look at how many times his dad has mentioned DJM playing out of position on social media.

If the team does what I hope which is keep Trae and JJ but put everyone else on the trading block we could do a soft rebuild and recoup the assets we lost with the DJM trade. If it works out, great. If it doesn't work out, well, that would almost certainly lead to Trae being traded for a monster haul not this offseason but next. 

Prolly best case scenario, but also begs question why did they do this to begin with I know what has been said but if dj wanted to be a pg  it sure why he came here .  I guess they did to just see if it could work ? Cost was  very high for an experiment.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Then or than?  Are you suggesting trade Trae first then trade Murray later?  Not sure I understand this

That post was the embodiment of Hawks fans.   That's how this board sounds.   Every year, throwing the baby out with the bathwater. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

His lack of D and his ill advised logo shots (especially in the final minutes constantly) has been doing a lot of damage.

Our team would be more balanced with DJM at the Point and bringing in an excellent 2 way SG like Mikael Bridges.  

You want a draft lottery party right?

Last year was his first year running the Ship in Brooklyn.   They made it to the first round of the playoffs after winning about 45 games.   They get to the playoffs and get swept by the 76ers.  Let your frustration work on you.. but don't loose your wit.   The team you propose would go nowhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Sothron said:

They want to play together but they both know this isn't working. DJM taking his deal and his comments about "loyalty" were about him showing loyalty to the Hawks in more than one way. DJM would not be opposed to trade out of Atlanta. He knows he isn't playing his natural position. He wants to be a PG again. Look at how many times his dad has mentioned DJM playing out of position on social media.

If the team does what I hope which is keep Trae and JJ but put everyone else on the trading block we could do a soft rebuild and recoup the assets we lost with the DJM trade. If it works out, great. If it doesn't work out, well, that would almost certainly lead to Trae being traded for a monster haul not this offseason but next. 

Dejounte tune has changed major coming into this season. It will come out publicly in due time but he isn’t happy in his role one bit. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Everyone was high fiving over that move. Over and over we kept lamenting about needing another ball handler and needing a defensive backcourt mate for Trae. Everyone expected that from DJM. Anyone who says otherwise is trying to use hindsight to rewrite history. 
Some may have questioned the trade package, but no one questioned what DJM was supposed to bring. 
Sad how it’s turned out, losing assets on a project that hasn’t worked out. But that’s how the ball bounces. You don’t know until you try. 

Yep a lot of revisionist history for most people.  I certainly loved the move.

I think the fit hasn't worked with Murray, but since he signed for such a great deal I'm optimistic we can actually come out ahead in a trade.  I'd hope for two 1sts back plus a young player on Jalen's level and filler.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Dejounte tune has changed major coming into this season. It will come out publicly in due time but he isn’t happy in his role one bit. 

I mean, it's already out there.  Him and his dad subtweeting shit, deleting all his social media or w/e, his attitude hasn't been joyful or cheery like when he arrived, it's all there for everyone to see.  

25 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Everyone was high fiving over that move. Over and over we kept lamenting about needing another ball handler and needing a defensive backcourt mate for Trae. Everyone expected that from DJM. Anyone who says otherwise is trying to use hindsight to rewrite history. 
Some may have questioned the trade package, but no one questioned what DJM was supposed to bring. 
Sad how it’s turned out, losing assets on a project that hasn’t worked out. But that’s how the ball bounces. You don’t know until you try. 

At the time, I thought the trade was a fair deal.  But I also thought DJ was a really good defender (shame on me for believing narratives without watching him).  Now that I'm more familiar with his game, as our scouts and FO should have been at the time of the trade, it doesn't make that much sense to trade for him.  Do we need another ball handler?  Yes, but it always needed to be a wing or forward with size.  Not saying that was available or anything, just the reality.  I think Trae being impatient and demanding us to make moves [when the right move is not available] is hurting us big time.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

His lack of D and his ill advised logo shots (especially in the final minutes constantely) has been doing a lot of damage.

Our team would be more balanced with DJM at the Point and bringing in an excellent 2 way SG like Mikael Bridges.  

Why can't we bring in an excellent 2 way SG like Mikael Bridges in with Trae?

See?  This is what I'm talking about.

You guys tend to blame Trae for most of the problems with the team.  But you don't want to provide the necessary upgrades to the team so that Trae doesn't feel he has to take 30 foot threes ( which he makes at a 40% clip, by the way ).

Trae is going through the same situation that Dominique went through. Nique played with a bunch of nice complimentary players ( who played with far more toughness than our current group ).  But Nique never had enough legit firepower to make noise in the East.  And the one time he got close, a loaded Celtics team full of Hall of Famers knocked him out.

Fact is, the only time Trae had legit vet talent around him, we went to the damn EC Finals.

Gallo - Lou Williams - Tony Snell - Solo . . all decent vets who knew their jobs and did it somewhat well.  Still not a fan of "The Knife" ( Solo ), but he obviously had a locker room presence that everybody loved.  Collins was still a borderline top 10 PF

• Like 2

For the anti-Trae, he’s too little to win crowd:

Remember, it took a veteran Joe Johnson until his 3rd season with the Hawks to lead us to the playoffs. It took him until his 4th season to have a winning record with the Hawks.

He had size. He played smart. He played defense. He was our best player. He still only won 26, 30, then 37 games. 

It takes a lot to win. We have to build this thing the right way and we do not have time to piss around with a bunch of guys that can’t win together.

Everyone’s value is low. We aren’t getting a star. Just try to clear cap space at this point and give yourself room to add in the offseason. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JTB said:

But what does that do for Trae and this franchise?

the whole idea of Murray taking a pay cut is to bring in another star player. Why trade Murray for a player who can easily walk away this offseason? 

Because people want to blow it up anyway.

I want to see how the Hawks play, if you add a legit talented frontcourt player to this lineup.

Here are our options:

1) Stand pat, keep everyone, and let people develop into their roles for the entire year.

2) Trade off role players for better fitting role players, and see if that helps our chemistry.

3) Make a major move to bring in more talent, by trading multiple players and draft picks

4) Say "F the Vets" and bring up all of the kids and play them, essentially tanking the season. ( Bufkin, Gueye, Lundy become rotation players )

5) Blow it all up, trade Trae, and start over.

If you say "blow it up", you run the risk of not seeing winning basketball in ATL until 2030.  It is way too hard in this league to find legit star / superstar talent.  Hitting the reset button could easily turn the Hawks into the Wiz, Blazers, Pistons, or Spurs.

If you say "F the Vets", you've given up on the season, and simply want to see what our draft picks look like with extended minutes, playing alongside legit NBA players

If you say "Make a major move", you're willing to take a chance and give up rotation players on this team in order to get 1 or 2 greater and better fitting talents.

If you say "trade off role players", you believe that the Hawks are a "tweak" away from righting the ship, and just want to make minor moves.

If you say "stand pat", you either believe that the Hawks and Quin will figure this thing out, and we'll be alright . . or that you're scared that any move Landry makes, may make it worse.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 3