• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, AHF said:

Hard to see how that doesn't end up as a disaster.  I have no faith in getting fair value back if we went to move Trae.  Would be really demoralizing to a lot of the fans as well.  

Without a strong draft pick for 3 years, it would almost certainly cement Ressler as a hated figure for the fan base.

It would destroy any potential that the city has for ever becoming a sports town.   Like it or not Trae is the most popular Hawk since Nique.   IN a lot of ways, more popular than Nique.  If we trash him for the money, then there will be a lot of fans who won't be back.   I'd rather that Ressler just sale the team. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Wut?  In situations like these public honesty undermines your own negotiating power. He's literally pulling the rug out from under himself.  Screaming "HE"S OUR GUY AND WE AREN"T TRADING HIM FOR ANYONE" for everyone to hear only increases the player trade value which benefits the Hawks.  That's his job.  Convince everyone that he's not being traded and if they want him, they better bring an offer too good to refuse.  

I think this line of thinking is incredibly insulting to opposing teams GMs and front offices.  Doesn't matter what Landry says at the podium, other teams are going to be in the know -- particularly if they're considering being a part of a high profile trade.  I'm happy with Landry being honest and forthcoming.  I worry much more about the transactions he makes, the draft pick selections, and contract extensions than i do him coddling fans emotions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I think this line of thinking is incredibly insulting to opposing teams GMs and front offices.  Doesn't matter what Landry says at the podium, other teams are going to be in the know -- particularly if they're considering being a part of a high profile trade.  I'm happy with Landry being honest and forthcoming.  I worry much more about the transactions he makes, the draft pick selections, and contract extensions than i do him coddling fans emotions.

If you think this has anything to do with fan emotions I don't know what to tell you.  It's literally only about framing things in the right light so as to maximize the value of the guys you are potentially trading.  Don't give me this nonsense that everyone in the NBA knows what every other NBA team truly wants or plans to do.  That's a bunch of BS.  

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

If you think this has anything to do with fan emotions I don't know what to tell you.  It's literally only about framing things in the right light so as to maximize the value of the guys you are potentially trading.  Don't give me this nonsense that everyone in the NBA knows what every other NBA team truly wants or plans to do.  That's a bunch of BS.  

Just to be crystal clear here, we just spent the past month shopping Murray to damn near every team in the league, because to anyone with eyes, the pairing is not working, but you think it's this public statement by Landry that is going to tip off other front offices we want to offload him?  Think about what you're typing.

Landry’s public statements mean less than nothing, I’m just glad to hear he is aware of on/off and other impact metrics.  I was doubtful with the way minutes are distributed and especially after passing on Jaquez and Podzienski.  I envision the Hawks front office and analytics department having pizza parties and smoking dope all day.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, AHF said:

If you've ever negotiated deals, you'll know exactly why you don't admit things like that in a public forum

Yes, I have, and there is a level of transparency required to build trust and establish a logical basis to the deal.  This statement is fine and doesn’t go beyond that threshold.  Nothing about it is going to force ys to drop our asking price— this isnt a secret salary dump situation.  We simply disagree.

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

Landry’s public statements mean less than nothing, I’m just glad to hear he is aware of on/off and other impact metrics.  I was doubtful with the way minutes are distributed and especially after passing on Jaquez and Podzienski.  I envision the Hawks front office and analytics department having pizza parties and smoking dope all day.

Podz was my guy but Bufkin cool too. Jaquez would be a bust here

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Podz was my guy but Bufkin cool too. Jaquez would be a bust here

As much as I love Jaquez I feel you on that.  He has to initiate, get post touches, and is only as good as the team defense is.  And Quin’s developmental arm isn’t comparable to Spo’s to put it lightly.

He’s gonna love Delon and vice versa.  Check this video:

His exploitation of post mismatches is gonna pay dividends in the playoffs.

Edited by benhillboy

4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

As much as I love Jaquez I feel you on that.  He has to initiate, get post touches, and is only as good as the team defense is.  And Quin’s developmental arm isn’t comparable to Spo’s to put it lightly.

He’s gonna love Delon and vice versa.  Check this video:

His exploitation of post mismatches is gonna pay dividends in the playoffs.

It's not on Quin. Few teams have a structure that Miami or New York currently has. Atlanta has a Hodgepodge of personnel 

• Moderators
13 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Yes, I have, and there is a level of transparency required to build trust and establish a logical basis to the deal.  This statement is fine and doesn’t go beyond that threshold.  Nothing about it is going to force ys to drop our asking price— this isnt a secret salary dump situation.  We simply disagree.

If this is a way of building trust that improves the outcome of trade deals I would be interested to look into all the deals you remember where really good GMs made similar public comments indicating a player wasn’t working out before trading him.  I could give you dozens of examples of GMs saying how good a player is or how much they value him or how much they want to keep him. I genuinely can’t even think of examples to try to evaluate whether this is a technique that is effective at improving trade outcomes.

(If it doesn’t improve trade outcomes then I don’t have to tell you that bad mouthing your players to the press runs the risk of pissing them off or worsening their buy-in and attitude even if what is said is factual.)

16 hours ago, Sothron said:

I think Trae will be  moved in the summer. Not from my sources just my own putting things together and knowing how cheap Ressler is. If the choice is keeping Trae happy by adding salary and paying the LT or unloading Trae to rebuild and be even cheaper...we know which one Messy Ressy will pick.

Messy Ressy, sure... But I'm not sure he's an absolute idiot. 

This will easily put the Hawks in Oakland A's territory. 

I get having fans isn't really what makes these teams money(huge problem) but at some point you at least need to keep a few of them... 

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Tony ain't shopping Trae. 

Travis shopped Trae and got fired as he wanted someone that can build a contender around Trae. No one is going to offer anything more than a rebuilding package for Trae. The media will media. I wish Landry wasn't such a f***ing wuss and cut these rumors off asap. 

Yea Landry needs to come out and make a statement unless............  Landry is a joke and you can't believe a damn thing the national media says on all levels.  

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I wish we had one of these. Sigh!

....even if it doesn't work. O just want to at leadt feel like we have a chance. Not that's it's over even before the ball goes up. 

Messy Ressy blows. 🤦‍♀️

There! I said it! -Chappelle 😂 

17 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Way more popular than Nique. He got people selling out to see this constantly under .500. You couldn't get no one to come for free when they were a playoff team with Iso Joe 

Which kind of kills all these takes, I understand where it comes from but it makes no sense , you can't have it all or both.  Trading Trae completely kills this narrative of tony using NBA team as a investment just.to make as much money as possible, may e we don't understand the diff between billions and millions.  He does not help himself by trading Trae, he will make less money.  He would still do better because of what he has already made not to mention the increase if we went deep into the tax to take another shot, it's like the falcons when they are doing well everyone comes it gets crazy, it would bring eberyone especially if we got the right big to go along with Trae. Easier said than done.

They just missed on some guys and tried to play it safe and wait and see and try to get perfect time to grab another player but that shit wasn't realistic, now u got to go big or start over, but your not making more money by gutt8ng the team 

Edited by hylndr11
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

It's not on Quin. Few teams have a structure that Miami or New York currently has. Atlanta has a Hodgepodge of personnel 

You’re way too defensive of Quin.  He’s ass obviously illustrated by the ridiculous pace leading to the worst points allowed in the Association.

It’s his job to get his players to run sound offense late in the clock and get them to stop the ball on defense, period.  He’s done a horrible job at both in this 76 game regular season sample size with a below average strength of schedule to boot.

A real quality coach overcomes player limitations and  management blunders and finds a way.  He actually likes this core lol: he took the job and says it all the time.  Hell the Grizzlies play harder than the Hawks with a skeleton lineup.  He doesn’t have some proven system that can develop and travel like Thibs and Spo so stop waiting for all the pieces to magically align.  Like I said in Utah, he had a gang of high IQ players propping him up and still managed to flame out in the playoffs year after year.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1