• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

So you don't think he's a freak athlete for someone who's 7'4 306 pounds? 

How many bigs are this athletic taller than 7+?

Then add how many bigs are this athletic 300 pounds+? 

I'm just guessing, but I think most people view someone who is a freak athlete as being more athletic than someone who is an elite athlete.  Freak to me is almost akin to generational whereas you have a bunch of elite athletes in the NBA in any given season.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I don't.  I don't see any explosiveness to his athleticism.  He doesn't pop.  His actions seem more deliberate to me.  I don't see any quick twitch to him.  This is part of the reason why I believe that unless you are truly special and have elite shooting/passing like Joker or elite overall athleticism like Embiid, this is why guys who are this size have essentially been phased out of the NBA.  

When he blocks shots or dunks. It looks a lot like Gobert who I consider a freak athlete for his size. 

He has no fluidity which means no quick twitch. So while he is a freak athlete, the lack of twitch means no generational athlete. We are talking about an abnormally tall human being. 

I thinks he's special off the ball offensively. That's his value. Without the bball. That's why he draws so many fouls. He's constantly moving. He's never going to be Jokic or Embiid. Those guys are a excellent on ball players. That's just not Edey game and never will be. He's essentially, a relentless finisher. He doesn't have those on ball traits because he has poor fluidity. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm just guessing, but I think most people view someone who is a freak athlete as being more athletic than someone who is an elite athlete.  Freak to me is almost akin to generational whereas you have a bunch of elite athletes in the NBA in any given season.

For me,

Elite aka generational

Freak aka excellent

Very good

Good

Decent

Average

Below average

Bad

Poor

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

For me,

Elite aka generational

Freak aka excellent

Very good

Good

Decent

Average

Below average

Bad

Poor

I think you use elite and freak the opposite way that most people do.  "Generational" and "excellent" will probably result in less confusion.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Aaron Bradshaw is probably the center the Hawks should target.

He may be gettable in the second round as well.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

@AHF, @Spud2nique, @Sothron, @JayBirdHawk, @KB21, @Mikey, @bird_dirt, @Gray Mule, @givemesome1ce1, @benhillboy, @capstone21, @Bonkers, @terrell, @Plainview1981, @Peoriabird, @Final_quest @Spud2nique @txsting @Wretch @thecampster @cam1218 @REHawksFan @ShooterSays @Hawkish @shakes

Simple Scouting Report on Zach Edey:

Offensive Player Type:

• Original: A big player who excels in movement rim finishing with a hint of post-up quality.
  • Future: A big player who excels in movement rim finishing with elements of post-up and catch & shoot (C&S) qualities.

New Analysis:

• Current: An elite garbageman with freakish athleticism for his size, possessing superior mental attributes and exceptional physical measurements. However, his fluidity limits his offensive potential when he has ball possession. He has superior movement skills and can execute high-level rolls. Elite Screener. His post-up play is limited unless he secures significant positioning in the low post.
  • Future: An elite garbageman with freakish athleticism for his size, possessing superior mental attributes and exceptional physical measurements. His fluidity, however, limits his offensive potential when he has ball possession. He has superior movement skills and can execute high-level rolls. Elite Screener. His post-up play is limited unless he secures significant positioning in the low-post, with potential for catch and shoot.

NBA Comparisons: He doesn’t have any direct comparisons.

Weakness Comparison: Edy Tavares - Only Edy and Edey have exhibited poor fluidity as NBA players entering the league. While Edy is a good athlete for his size, Edey is a freakish athlete for his size.

Offense - Favorable Comparison: Karl Malone, albeit with differences. Neither player was anticipated to produce offensively at an exceptionally high level. Both possess tremendous strength, superior movement, and relentless energy. Neither has a particularly strong post-game, with most of their work done before receiving the ball. Malone is more fluid and uses agility a lot, but Edey is much larger and uses brute force for positioning and his mental acuity for his success as a low-post scorer. Both are elite screeners and have a terrific feel for rolling off the PnR. Both qualify as spammers in how they score. Doesn't seem like they are really good but the production is there. This is not by mistake. This is what being relentless and having a high motor looks like and their passion is scoring. 

Both players can be seen as garbagemen, but unlike Horford, who is also a garbageman, both possess an elite scoring mentality as their primary focus. Malone has clear advantages such as transition offense and a proven 15ft jumper from his time at LA Tech. Despite unimpressive college stats in his junior season which got worse each year, Malone had no spacing at LA Tech, and teams sold out to guard him in the paint. Edey, on the other hand, has the size advantage and superior basketball IQ. He generally adapts far more quickly to defensive strategies than Malone.

Defense Comparison - Favorable Comparison: A less effective version of Rudy Gobert. He can protect the rim and paint like Rudy and boxes out better than Rudy. However, his poor fluidity is a significant drawback. His close-outs, switches, and rebounding radius are all subpar. He has a mental advantage and is older than Gobert as a prospect, but he doesn’t have the same upside as Rudy. Both are drop defenders, which may limit the teams interested in them as prospects. I’ve talked to one scout and listened to another who thinks Edey’s best NBA strength is on defense based on their review of the tape. This was the comparison both gave me.

Offensive Comparison - Less Favorable: It’s challenging to find a direct comparison. Most basketball players don’t exhibit the same combination of mental strength, movement skills, and finishing ability. When you consider body control, hand skills, and strength, Luis Scola comes to mind as the closest comparison. However, Scola lacks the athletic prowess that Edey possesses for his size.

Defensive Comparison - Less Favorable: The comparison here is straightforward - Edy Tavares, but a wealthy man’s version. Despite fluidity being the issue, he still possesses elite mental acuity and is more athletic than Edy, with an additional 60 pounds as a prospect. This might still be a poor man’s version of Rudy Gobert, so it’s unclear how this is less favorable. The outcome remains the same.

So he falls somewhere between 

Non-NBA career scrub <————> DPOY Multi-all star 

I haven’t watched him beyond highlights, so I would weigh your & @KB21 assessments over mine. But such a discrepancy in comps still points to me that you hope he reaches second string/situational big status and draft him accordingly. His floor is too low to draft too high, and his ceiling is too high to wait too late. Mid-late first rounder currently unless he blows up in the NCAA tournament. 

One thing I marvel about him is he’s like the Cal Ripken of 7+ footers. He hasn’t missed a single game to injury. Remarkable.

41 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Aaron Bradshaw is probably the center the Hawks should target.

Ivisic kid is nice too....

I think he's gonna rise up the boards some..

Kentucky has a lot of talent.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrell said:

Ivisic kid is nice too....

I think he's gonna rise up the boards some..

Kentucky has a lot of talent.. 

he definitely has the most upside of their three big bigs. He’s a couple years away from contributing on an NBA team, but he’s got the tools. Shooting, passing, rim defense... Just needs a little more seasoning and more time in the weight room. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

He may be gettable in the second round as well.  

Probably. 
UK could potentially have 7, 8 or 9 guys drafted this year! They are crazy deep in talent. They could break the record for most draftees taken from one school, currently at 6 (reached twice, both by UK) 😼

If they don’t make it to the final four, it will be Cal’s worst fail. Defense is the only thing keeping them for a guaranteed chip. 

• Like 1

BIG!  This is our biggest need.  He qualifies!  If he is as good as Supes thinks that he is, he will be gone before our turn comes.  If he is as bad as some of you Squawk posters believe, he will last into the second round.

One thing I tire of seeing is our big men bullied around the basket. If he's a Hawk, much of this will cease.  From what I read here, he's both very big and very stout.  Good!  He's not a goof ball either, having high basketball IQ and regular IQ also.  Great!

Trae draws a lot of fouls.  So many that the NBA passed a special Trae foul rule a few seasons back.  This center draws a lot of fouls in school.  I wonder, if he becomes a Hawk, will another special rule be added?

We need to draft this player for NBASupes and please draft Yves Missi for me!  Bruno will then have lots of help!!

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

They aren't that hard to get.

Hawks are known for giving up 2nds, not aquiring them.. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

@AHF, @Spud2nique, @Sothron, @JayBirdHawk, @KB21, @Mikey, @bird_dirt, @Gray Mule, @givemesome1ce1, @benhillboy, @capstone21, @Bonkers, @terrell, @Plainview1981, @Peoriabird, @Final_quest @Spud2nique @txsting @Wretch @thecampster @cam1218 @REHawksFan @ShooterSays @Hawkish @shakes

Offensive Player Type:

• Original: A big player who excels in movement rim finishing with a hint of post-up quality.
  • Future: A big player who excels in movement rim finishing with elements of post-up and catch & shoot (C&S) qualities.

New Analysis:

• Current: An elite garbageman with freakish athleticism for his size, possessing superior mental attributes and exceptional physical measurements. However, his fluidity limits his offensive potential when he has ball possession. He has superior movement skills and can execute high-level rolls. Elite Screener. His post-up play is limited unless he secures significant positioning in the low post.
  • Future: An elite garbageman with freakish athleticism for his size, possessing superior mental attributes and exceptional physical measurements. His fluidity, however, limits his offensive potential when he has ball possession. He has superior movement skills and can execute high-level rolls. Elite Screener. His post-up play is limited unless he secures significant positioning in the low-post, with potential for catch and shoot.

Weakness Comparison: Edy Tavares - Only Edy and Edey have exhibited poor fluidity as NBA players entering the league. While Edy is a good athlete for his size, Edey is a freakish athlete for his size.

Offense - Favorable Comparison: Karl Malone, albeit with differences. Neither player was anticipated to produce offensively at an exceptionally high level. Both possess tremendous strength, superior movement, and relentless energy. Neither has a particularly strong post-game, with most of their work done before receiving the ball. Malone is more fluid and uses agility a lot, but Edey is much larger and uses brute force for positioning and his mental acuity for his success as a low-post scorer. Both are elite screeners and have a terrific feel for rolling off the PnR. Both qualify as spammers in how they score. Doesn't seem like they are really good but the production is there. This is not by mistake. This is what being relentless and having a high motor looks like and their passion is scoring. 

Both players can be seen as garbagemen, but unlike Horford, who is also a garbageman, both possess an elite scoring mentality as their primary focus. Malone has clear advantages such as transition offense and a proven 15ft jumper from his time at LA Tech. Despite unimpressive college stats in his junior season which got worse each year, Malone had no spacing at LA Tech, and teams sold out to guard him in the paint. Edey, on the other hand, has the size advantage and superior basketball IQ. He generally adapts far more quickly to defensive strategies than Malone.

Defense Comparison - Favorable Comparison: A less effective version of Rudy Gobert. He can protect the rim and paint like Rudy and boxes out better than Rudy. However, his poor fluidity is a significant drawback. His close-outs, switches, and rebounding radius are all subpar. He has a mental advantage and is older than Gobert as a prospect, but he doesn’t have the same upside as Rudy. Both are drop defenders, which may limit the teams interested in them as prospects. I’ve talked to one scout and listened to another who thinks Edey’s best NBA strength is on defense based on their review of the tape. This was the comparison both gave me.

Offensive Comparison - Less Favorable: It’s challenging to find a direct comparison. Most basketball players don’t exhibit the same combination of mental strength, movement skills, and finishing ability. When you consider body control, hand skills, and strength, Luis Scola comes to mind as the closest comparison. However, Scola lacks the athletic prowess that Edey possesses for his size.

Defensive Comparison - Less Favorable: The comparison here is straightforward - Edy Tavares, but a wealthy man’s version. Despite fluidity being the issue, he still possesses elite mental acuity and is more athletic than Edy, with an additional 60 pounds as a prospect. This might still be a poor man’s version of Rudy Gobert, so it’s unclear how this is less favorable. The outcome remains the same.

Good write up. Admittedly, I haven’t watched much college basketball this year. But I’ll watch his tournament games for sure now.

9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Offensive Player Type:

New Analysis:

Really, hotSupes?  You went through all them names and couldn't invite me to the party?

Ok well I guess I gotta drop a turd in the punch bowl.

You know the last college player you were this high on as a sure thing?

Toppin, Obi.

Inexact science, hotSupes.

Trade the pick(s).

🙃

I kid, I kid.  We been agreeing too much lately. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Really, hotSupes?  You went through all them names and couldn't invite me to the party?

Ok well I guess I gotta drop a turd in the punch bowl.

You know the last college player you were this high on as a sure thing?

Toppin, Obi.

Inexact science, hotSupes.

Trade the pick(s).

🙃

I kid, I kid.  We been agreeing too much lately. 

That was Jalen Williams. Obi was my last miss though. 

If it matters any, you gave me props for Obi that he was better than you thought even though I said you were right, I missed on him early in the process. Obi size was tremendous for Dayton as a PF but in the NBA, he's a tweener and there was nothing he could do to change it. Still, he's a very good player just one without a position. 

Edited by NBASupes