• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Raptors at Hawks

lethalweapon3

30 minutes ago, Sothron said:

It is average to below average. He's 6'1 and maybe 180 pounds without good wingspan. He's never going to be an All NBA defensive player. He is a better defender this season than several other starting point guards. You can't ask him to do something he simply isn't capable of doing.

Really? Like who?

https://craftednba.com/player-traits/sieve

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/worst-defensive-rating-nba-player(3 Hawks starters in the top 10..lol)

14 hours ago, terrell said:

Trae in the last 3 games combined:

11-39 FG (28%)

6-24 from 3 (25%)

14 ppg

Wtf man.. 

Hawks arent winning many games if our Max guy plays like this....

And that's just on Offense....

Whatever you think of Trae he has been one of the more willing participants on defense. I hate his bad games but it's much more than him. If you don't believe that, there's not much to say.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Whatever you think of Trae he has been one of the more willing participants on defense. I hate his bad games but it's much more than him. If you don't believe that, there's not much to say.

This game was less on him than the other two where fatigue played a role. Toronto had a good defensive scheme. Capela being washed is really f***ing us up. His offensive execution which is normally reliable is ass. Defensively, he's a shell of himself. He's gonna feel like Lou and VC in there last year, next year. When centers hit the wall, they hit it fast 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This game was less on him than the other two where fatigue played a role. Toronto had a good defensive scheme. Capela being washed is really f***ing us up. His offensive execution which is normally reliable is ass. Defensively, he's a shell of himself. He's gonna feel like Lou and VC in there last year, next year. When centers hit the wall, they hit it fast 

Absolutely!

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

It's odd that people just ignore reality to make their criticisms.  Trae has arguably been our best perimeter defender this season.

But folks see him fail to challenge a 6'8" guy at the rim like, "SeE, sEe TReY cAnT GaRd a ChAiR!!!!"

Dafuq is he supposed to do in those scenarios?  And, because everybody else is so lackadaisical, these physical mismatches happen more often than they should. 

Teams still hunt trae on defense. That won’t stop and teams will keep pushing switches so Trae ends up on those wings who can then score effortlessly.  

To be clear the rest of the teams defense is total crap too. Rudy Gobert or prime admiral in the middle can’t solve all our issues at this point. 

2 hours ago, terrell said:

I mean, those stats tell the story.  It doesn't matter how many points you score if you can't stop anybody.  Thats the Hawks dilemma. If they are really trying to win they have to address it.  IF THEY ARE REALLY TRYING TO WIN. The first step is to evaluate EVERY player.  The next step is to come up with the solution.  Right now the Hawks front office appears to be trying to stradle both sides of a fence and it can't be done.  You have to address the lack of defense in your backcourt and it doesn't matter If Trae Young OR Dejuante Murray doesn't like it (thats player evaluation). 

If you have to go with a bigger point guard more often and in key situations to slow down the other team then so be it. I'm not adverse to playing Jalen Johnson in the backcourt (either guard position).  He has the skillset to do it and would be the player they SAID Bill Simmons WAS suppose to be. 

Dejuante is just out there.  He doesn't care anymore.  Thats the problem with players when they see no vision from the front office. It rubs off on the players and they just show up.  This isn't about Trae Young himself, its about the message you are sending your team.  The Spurs long success was based on treating every player equally and as a cohesive team unit.  The Celtics success is also like that.  The Warriors long success was based on that. They play TEAM ball on offense and defense and nobody is bigger than that.  It starts at the top.

Edited by Hawkmoor

24 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I mean, those stats tell the story.  It doesn't matter how many points you score if you can't stop anybody.  Thats the Hawks dilemma. If they are really trying to win they have to address it.  IF THEY ARE REALLY TRYING TO WIN. The first step is to evaluate EVERY player.  The next step is to come up with the solution.  Right now the Hawks front office appears to be trying to stradle both sides of a fence and it can't be done.  You have to address the lack of defense in your backcourt and it doesn't matter If Trae Young OR Dejuante Murray doesn't like it (thats player evaluation). 

If you have to go with a bigger point guard more often and in key situations to slow down the other team then so be it. I'm not adverse to playing Jalen Johnson in the backcourt (either guard position).  He has the skillset to do it and would be the player they SAID Bill Simmons WAS suppose to be. 

Dejuante is just out there.  He doesn't care anymore.  Thats the problem with players when they see no vision from the front office. It rubs off on the players and they just show up.  This isn't about Trae Young himself, its about the message you are sending your team.  The Spurs long success was based on treating every player equally and as a cohesive team unit.  The Celtics success is also like that.  The Warriors long success was based on that. They play TEAM ball on offense and defense and nobody is bigger than that.  It starts at the top.

JJ would get roasted trying to defend guards. He is barely adequate defending small forwards. 

The Hawks need a premium defender at center, another defensive oriented big wing and a strong defensive guard, and they need those players to be real top 8 rotation players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

It's odd that people just ignore reality to make their criticisms.  Trae has arguably been our best perimeter defender this season.

But folks see him fail to challenge a 6'8" guy at the rim like, "SeE, sEe TReY cAnT GaRd a ChAiR!!!!"

Dafuq is he supposed to do in those scenarios?  And, because everybody else is so lackadaisical, these physical mismatches happen more often than they should. 

While i can say he's been greatly improved, he's still the worst defender we got by a mile but i will say, he's the most improved. Capela regression is a mfer for us

55 minutes ago, Packfill said:

Teams still hunt trae on defense. That won’t stop and teams will keep pushing switches so Trae ends up on those wings who can then score effortlessly.  

To be clear the rest of the teams defense is total crap too. Rudy Gobert or prime admiral in the middle can’t solve all our issues at this point. 

Prime D. Rob??? I think you meant Duncan

Gobert would make a significant difference. Prime Capela had a worse defensive core and did an admirable job with them and this was when Trae was WOAT on D. Capela being washed is a massive killer for us 

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, Packfill said:

JJ would get roasted trying to defend guards. He is barely adequate defending small forwards. 

The Hawks need a premium defender at center, another defensive oriented big wing and a strong defensive guard, and they need those players to be real top 8 rotation players. 

Can't wait til we get Alexandre Sarr and See who Landry and Company put around him.

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

While i can say he's been greatly improved, he's still the worst defender we got by a mile but i will say, he's the most improved. Capela regression is a mfer for us

Sorry.. but some of our players who play bad defense get a pass.   Namely JJ and OO...   JJ is out of position a lot.   Him getting an occasional block does not change the fact that he leaves the back door and the front door open a lot.   OO will be tradable when we bring in Sarr. 

10 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Someone explain how the Hawks are getting Edey? It never works out for us 😂😂

I am not following you. They would have to use one of their draft picks and select him with it. That's how they would get him

1 hour ago, Packfill said:

Can he at least stay in front of guards long enough to cut off passing lanes with his height?  

59 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I am not following you. They would have to use one of their draft picks and select him with it. That's how they would get him

Lmao.  You think we'll be in position to get him? Don't think on it too much. Just a question.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

His range is literally from 9 to 50. He should be available. 

Top 10 or 10 from the last pick in round 2????  🤔.   Such a wide range doesn't make sense.

Where does the majority of the mocks combined place the average of his range?