• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Celtics at Hawks (Monday)

lethalweapon3

13 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

I remember the Miami playoff series in which Hunter carried the Hawks when the Heat shut down Trae.  They game planned for Trae, he shot poorly and Hunter stepped up.  Hunter's good play over the last month or so isn't the first time he has showcased what he can do.  They NEED Trae but they also need MORE than Trae.  One player can't do it.

Dre also mentioned after this game how getting more quality touches gets him in a rhythm..... That's the case right now...

Edited by terrell
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

I'm gonna say this one time and highlight it:  The Hawks have proven that without Trae, the offense is WORST.  They NEED Trae Young.  Everyone knows I'm a big Trae Young detractor but the Hawks themselves have proven that they need him and I AGREE.  If anything, Trae being out has proven to ME how badly they do need him on offense.

Why are some of yall making this be "Trae bashing"?  If anything positive is said about Hunter or another player because Trae is out, the narrative is put out that its "Trae Bashing".  The pitchforks come out. The real issue is the Hawks are being able to get something positive out of something negative with Trae being out.  It forced the Hawks coaching staff and players to expand and come up with alternatives on offense. When Trae comes back, thats a positive.  If the coaching staff goes back to a backcourt heavy offense without using their bigs at forward, thats a coaching problem. 

The help that folks want him to have can come from INSIDE the current roster. It doesn't always have to come from a trade or free agent signing.  Another POSITIVE that has come out of this is the defense has improved.  Thats not Trae bashing, its just what it is.  The Hawks have learned that they CAN play defense.  How that works out when Young comes back remains to be seen.  Maybe they sit him in certain situations and go offense for defense,  defense for offense, etc.  It can be worked out.  Everything that is happening is a net positive.  Trae remains the best option on offense,  the Hawks have discovered that Hunter can help D.J. and Johnson, and they learned how to play lock down defense as a cohesive unit.

image.png.1e52411b4cf01c96adac18e9f79316c0.png

Is Dre even looking at Trae there? 😂

27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Before the ball tipped on the season, the concern pointed out by some of us, in particular @macdaddy and @TheNorthCydeRises regarding the depth and size in the front court that it was problematic. JJ getting injured, followed by Hunter was immediately apparent. Compounded with CC losing a step and OO not taking the next step was also the issue.

My bad.  Let me clear this up. 😀 When I said "front court",  I meant J.J. and Hunter.  They can get rid of Capela tomorrow and on the fence about OO.  If they can get something for him I wouldn't necessarily miss him either.  EDIT:  I went back and checked my post.  I did clarify that its the forwards that need to stayed involved in the offense.

Edited by Hawkmoor

19 minutes ago, terrell said:

Dre also mentioned after this game how getting more quality touches gets him in a rhythm..... That's the case right now...

No doubt.  Thats why I said he has to be a featured player.  1a or 1b on at least a quarter of the possessions.

4 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Vit still feels like an end of bench guy to me.  Bruno, however, seems like he's played himself into a backup 5 role.  Next year could look something like this?  

PG:  Trae / Kobe / Vit

SG:  Bigger defensive Wing Draft Pick / Bogie / Kobe

SF:  JJ / DH / Bey

PF:  OO / Vet / Mo

C :  7-footer Draft Pick / Bruno / OO

The bigger defensive wing is actually Hunter, if he'd embrace the role and really work on this ball handling.

Even if Murray is moved back to the 2, the adjustment that needs to be made is to put OO at the 4.  Quin will not do this though, and continue to play small on the frontline.

This team could be much better if we rolled with Trae - DJ - JJ - OO - Capela as a starting group.  We'd have 2 guys who can create their own shot, a guy at the 3 who is a jack of all trades, and a 4 and 5 that provides better defensive value, than playing JJ at the 4.

This does not mean that JJ should never play the 4.  It's just that he'd be a much better player at the 3 ( on both ends ).  He could also create open jumpers for both DJ and Trae.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

Why are some of yall making this be "Trae bashing"?  If anything positive is said about Hunter or another player because Trae is out, the narrative is put out that its "Trae Bashing".  The pitchforks come out.

As much of a detractor of Hunter as I am why would I not want him or any other Hawk to do well? I disagree about the 1a thing you're talking about but that's me. I'll take what he's giving us as is.  Be positive.  But understand that PTSD towards Trae good or bad is real.