• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Your Hawks Draft Big Board

bird_dirt

Rather than focusing on one player who has a small chance of being drafted by the Hawks, I’d like to see what your draft big board would be if you ran the Hawks draft room. 

What is your strategy, and what are your player rankings?

If we get the Sac pick, I want to come out with at least one C, and one PF or wing. If we only have our own pick, I’d pick best player available among those positions. I’m not looking at any PG, and only SGs big enough to split time at SF. Knecht and Holland are the two smallest players on my board at 6’6” each. 

Here’s my draft board

First tier (Taking any of these players if we get a pick in the top 10):

Zaccharie Risacher

Position: SG/SF

Size: 6-foot-8, 204 lbs

Alexandre Sarr

Position: PF/C

Size: 7-foot-1, 216 lbs

Donovan Clingan

Position: C

Size: 7-foot-2, 280 lbs

Cody Williams

Position: SF/PF

Size: 6-foot-8, 190 lbs

Kyle Filipowski

Size: 7-foot-0, 248 lbs

Matas Buzelis

Position: SF

Size: 6-foot-8, 209 lbs

Second tier (players I’d be happy to walk away from this draft with if any of the top tier players are gone before we pick):

Ron Holland

Size: 6-foot-6, 204 lbs

Zach Edey

Size: 7-foot-4, 300 lbs

Yves Missi

Size: 7-foot-0, 235 lbs

Kel’el Ware

Size: 7-foot-0, 242 lbs

Dalton Knecht

Johnny Furphy

Size: 6-foot-9, 202 lbs

Third tier (Break glass in case of emergency. Only if we have the Sac pick and all the above players have already been selected): 

Tyler Smith

Position: PF

Size: 6-foot-11, 224 lbs

Oso Ighodaro

Size: 6-foot-11, 235 lbs

Ryan Dunn

Size: 6-foot-8, 216 lbs

Tristan da Silva

Size: 6-foot-9, 220 lbs

Bobi Klintman

Size: 6-foot-8, 215 lbs

BONUS UDFA target:

Antonio Reeves

Position: SG

Size: 6-foot-6, 195 lbs

I’m calling Reeves after my last pick and try to get him to agree on a contract in case he doesn’t get drafted. If he goes undrafted and agrees to sign, I’m immediately trading Bogi. Reeves is a walking bucket and could easily become our next Crawford/Lemon Pepper/Bogi off the bench beginning in his rookie year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Rather than focusing on one player who has a small chance of being drafted by the Hawks, I’d like to see what your draft big board would be if you ran the Hawks draft room. 

What is your strategy, and what are your player rankings?

If we get the Sac pick, I want to come out with at least one C, and one PF or wing. If we only have our own pick, I’d pick best player available among those positions. I’m not looking at any PG, and only SGs big enough to split time at SF. Knecht and Holland are the two smallest players on my board at 6’6” each. 

Here’s my draft board

First tier (Taking any of these players if we get a pick in the top 10):

Zaccharie Risacher

Size: 6-foot-8, 204 lbs

Alexandre Sarr

Size: 7-foot-1, 216 lbs

Donovan Clingan

Size: 7-foot-2, 280 lbs

Cody Williams

Size: 6-foot-8, 190 lbs

Kyle Filipowski

Size: 7-foot-0, 248 lbs

Matas Buzelis

Size: 6-foot-8, 209 lbs

Second tier (players I’d be happy to walk away from this draft with if any of the top tier players are gone before we pick):

Ron Holland

Zach Edey

Size: 7-foot-4, 300 lbs

Yves Missi

Size: 7-foot-0, 235 lbs

Kel’el Ware

Size: 7-foot-0, 242 lbs

Dalton Knecht

Johnny Furphy

Size: 6-foot-9, 202 lbs

Third tier (Break glass in case of emergency. Only if we have the Sac pick and all the above players have already been selected): 

Tyler Smith

Size: 6-foot-11, 224 lbs

Oso Ighodaro

Size: 6-foot-11, 235 lbs

Ryan Dunn

Size: 6-foot-8, 216 lbs

Tristan da Silva

Size: 6-foot-9, 220 lbs

Bobi Klintman

Size: 6-foot-8, 215 lbs

BONUS UDFA target:

Antonio Reeves

Position: SG

Size: 6-foot-6, 195 lbs

I’m calling Reeves after my last pick and try to get him to agree on a contract in case he doesn’t get drafted. If he goes undrafted and agrees to sign, I’m immediately trading Bogi. Reeves is a walking bucket and could easily become our next Crawford/Lemon Pepper/Bogi off the bench beginning in his rookie year. 

You really suggesting we trade Bogi and replace him with a rookie UDFA?  That's a bold strategy considering Bogi has been our most consistent and overall most reliable player for large parts of the season.  

As for the draft, I haven't done a deep dive and don't typically until much closer to the actual draft.  Right now, all I'm committed to is I want a C and a Wing.  

Top choices:

Edey

Clingan

Kenecht

These are the guys I've seen the most and like the most.  I'll reserve the right to replace them with others once I see more.  

• Like 1

I think the #1 need for the Hawks is POA defenders on the wing and perimeter.  This season went off the rails in December when their lack of wing depth and overall depth at the forward positions showed up.  They got a total of 9 games combined by Deandre Hunter and Jalen Johnson in December.  As a result, they went 4-10 in the month of December.  They have been right at .500 in every other month this season.  

My focus is on defense.  Ideally I want a big and a big wing, at least one of which is ready to play as a rookie.  Clingan is definitely a target but unfortunately I am expecting him to be gone before I get to make a pick.

That said, I would be looking to move Murray in the off-season so the return on that trade may change what I do in the draft.

I think point of attack defense and a true 7 footer should be our targets with our projected 2 FRP this year.  Unfortunately, this is a weak draft, but if we're only trying to draft rotational players, I think we can find those.  The problem is we don't know for sure who will be here next year.  Is Trae or DJM gone?  Is Capela or OO gone?  While it's probable on both questions, knowing the direction of that could drastically impact that decision.  If OO is your starting center, you desperately need a bigger backup center that is capable of playing now (most lilkely) because it's unlikely you keep Fernando as the primary backup behind OO.  You'd likely get killed against bigger centers.

Dunn is about as plug and play as you get defensively, but is also the poorest offensive wing defender we could have interest in. 

2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

You really suggesting we trade Bogi and replace him with a rookie UDFA?  That's a bold strategy considering Bogi has been our most consistent and overall most reliable player for large parts of the season.  

Yeah, I really think he could do it.
Now, not 100%, day-one fully replace Bogi of course. He couldn’t fill in as a starter like Bogi can. But I think he could handle his role for 15 minutes a game his first year coming off the bench as a microwave. He’s a three level scorer, and he wouldn’t lose anything defensively from Bogi’s absence.
Dollar for dollar he would be a much better value and we could get decent assets back from trading Bogi, increasing the value of this move. 

I think Reeves age (26?) is the main factor that will drop his stock on draft day. But I think that will mean his experience will make him easier to plug in first year. He was the only KY player to actually perform in their tournament game, lights and pressure didn’t affect him like it did the young guys. 

IMG_7381.jpeg.f1799763d59030b37c14d8b31caa35a2.jpeg

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, KB21 said:

I'll gladly draft a 7-footer if that player can play on the perimeter and switch on defense.  If they can't, I don't want them.  

You're not tired of those 20/20 game from Drummond against the Hawks?

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

Considering that we're going into the "no pick zone," I'm not interested in the draft as much as I am in fielding the most competitive roster possible.  I've also been lazier than usual scouting prospects, so I don't have any kind of list yet.  Right now I'm taking notes on who everybody likes and waiting to see how the standings/play-in shake out.

There are a few guys whose names keep popping up that I've taken a cursory look at, but I haven't studied anyone in depth to give a solid opinion.

• Premium Member

I don't really have tiers, but here's who I like:

• Donovan Clingan - Size and defense
  • Tristan Da Silva - Size, shooting, team defense, IQ
  • Ron Holland - Athleticism, hustle, potential
  • Dalton Knecht - Scoring, shooting, aggressiveness
  • Jakobe Walter - Shooting, hustle, defense

• Premium Member

I want the highest potential players available but I agree we do not need more guards (unless theyre big and can defend or play SF).  Give Quin and the staff guys with upside and marinate them in college park — I want long term guys with higher ceilings

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

I want the highest potential players available but I agree we do not need more guards (unless theyre big and can defend or play SF).  Give Quin and the staff guys with upside and marinate them in college park — I want long term guys with higher ceilings

The only reason to take a guard is if you are trading Trae or DJM and you are drafting their replacement.  Like you could take Knecht as your future starting SG.

In general, I want guys with higher ceilings but I'm not sure there are too many sky high ceilings in this class so I would definitely be wary about drafting someone who I didn't think was going to get minutes for the next two years or something even if I thought their upside was really high.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated my big board a little now that we know we get one pick in the lottery. Fine tune it once we find out what pick we will get. 

1. Zaccharie Risacher, SG/SF 
  2. Alexandre Sarr, PF/C
  3. Donovan Clingan, C
  4. Cody Williams, SF/PF
  5. Kyle Filipowski, PF/C
  6. Matas Buzelis, SF
  7. Ron Holland, SF
  8. Zach Edey, C
  9. Kel’el Ware, C
  10. Yves Missi, C
  11. Dalton Knecht, SG/SF
  12. Reed Sheppard, PG
  13. Johnny Furphy, SF
  14. Stephon Castle, PG
  15. Tristan da Silva, SF/PF
  16. Tyler Smith, PF
  17. Ryan Dunn, PF

(More than the 14 lotto picks, but leaving a little wiggle room in case we trade down in this draft)

For the Hawks

Tier 1 

1. Edey

Tier 2

2. Clingan 

If we can't land one of the kids above, we need to trade for Ayton and his crap contract which means Bogi time will be up after next year for salary cap reasons. Knecht becomes critical for us. 

3. Knecht

4. Risacher

Tier 4 

5. One of the PGs like Topic or Reed S. 

6. Shannon Jr

7. The developmental kids - Matas, Ron, Cody, Collier, Dilly, Sarr

That's pretty much it. Risacher and Reed are my top two overall prospects so those two are my personal favs but I don't see it for Reed with the Hawks with Trae on board. Risacher makes sense but Knecht replaces Bogi more is the only reason he's ahead of Risacher. 

• Like 2