• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks begun preliminary talks for Carmelo Anthony

Joker

Anywho, like someone said earlier... Its fun to talk about it, but we all know Sund is sitting back scratching his nuts! :brick wall:

yep, I'm 99.9% sure that Sund won't do anything at the tradedeadline.He will likely only scout college bball, and try to findJordan Crawford a bench buddy to play scrabble with duringgames.

The difference is that Joe makes those around him better.Give Melo: Smoove, Horf, Childress, Marvin, and the cast that Joe had in 2008 and put them up against those Celtics. Hawks get swept. Melo averages about 33/9 but Hawks get swept.Joe has led this team in assists for 6 years. Joe is a good defender. Joe is a proven scorer. Joe is a guy that makes his teammates better (even when he's not up to par).Melo is a scorer. That's it.

Joe's magical ability to make his teammates better sure has shown up big time over the last two years. We struggle mightily against clearly inferior teams and are unable to be even remotely competitive against superior teams. What a great reputation to have.

Is it just me or does it sound like...maybe Carmelo might be more concerned about the extension and less concerned about where he plays (link)?Like...maybe if we did deal for him we could get him to sign an extension??

The extension is important, without question. I don't see the Nets getting back into the chase, they have a young nucleus. No need to rush things when they are very young. If he really wanted to do an ext with Denver, he would have did it already. He's just trying to keep his image in good light. Nothing unusual for a popular prospect. Personally, I don't know what to make out of what he really wants. I guess only Melo knows that. Edited by nbasuperstar40

Is it just me or does it sound like...maybe Carmelo might be more concerned about the extension and less concerned about where he plays (link)?Like...maybe if we did deal for him we could get him to sign an extension??

Maybe Denver could hold him by the balls and he'd be forced to resign there like they had always intended?

• Premium Member

The extension is important, without question. I don't see the Nets getting back into the chase, they have a young nucleus. No need to rush things when they are very young. If he really wanted to do an ext with Denver, he would have did it already. He's just trying to keep his image in good light. Nothing unusual for a popular prospect. Personally, I don't know what to make out of what he really wants. I guess only Melo knows that.

I never understood the NJ/Melo thing... They were planning on sending Denver young talent, picks, and the kitchen sink...basically gut their already crappy team. Just for Carmelo? Then Anthony comes into this crappy situation...why? Was this all just a "represent my city" thing...? I guess I could understand that. lol When I was a kid, I used to daydream about going to the draft, getting picked, and then demanding a trade to Atlanta.

• Moderators

Wherever you want to argue or not, Melo is a top 5 offensive player. Only offensive player I would take above him is Kobe. I would even take Melo over Durant. This type of bickering is dumb, Melo is much better offensively than anyone on our team.

Anthony is 20th in ppgAnthony is 93rd in scoring efficiencyComparing him to other top offensive options (i.e., the 22 players averaging over 20 ppg), Carmelo Anthony is least efficient top scorer in the league (22nd of 22)How can anyone argue he is a top 5 offensive player?
  • Like 1

Anthony is 20th in ppgAnthony is 93rd in scoring efficiencyComparing him to other top offensive options (i.e., the 22 players averaging over 20 ppg), Carmelo Anthony is least efficient top scorer in the league (22nd of 22)How can anyone argue he is a top 5 offensive player?

Stats lie. Carmelo is one of three guys that can win a scoring title if they wanted. Only LBJ and Durant can score as Carmelo can.

Over his career, he is generally in the top 3-8 in scoring. That's one of the best marks in Basketball and majority in the know, feel that Melo is a top 5 offensive player. I personally think he's the 2nd best behind Kobe. He makes his players better on offense not to mention and he ease the workload on Joe and Horford. He's always in the top 5 at drawing fouls. There are so many stats you can use to love or loathe Melo. The modern day Dominique Wilkins statwise. The bottom line, if you place him in the perfect storm which Atlanta could be if they got a legit center, he can win one to three rings as a Hawk.

It sounds like we are just talking about definition here then if you agree Carmelo is inferior to all those players.I will note, however, that "superstar" is not what you defined above. A superstar is a more select group than a star. Joe Johnson is a star. He isn't an nba superstar. The bottomline for me is whether I feel someone makes a team a contender. Carmelo isn't in that boat for me. As a third tier star, he is just that: a star who has great public appeal and can command a high salary but is clearly inferior to the elite stars.(Wade proved he could be clearly the best player on a championship team before 08/09).

That was the definition for superstar from merriam Webster. I never said that Carmelo was an inferior basketball player although he's not quite as an efficient scored as Dirk.

• Premium Member

You came back with a sense of humor. :cool:

Thanks. After you have your life and your wife's life threatened over a sports site it kinda puts things in a different perspective on how much seriously one should take things on the internet. I'll just let things flow off my back from this point on.

• Moderators

Over his career, he is generally in the top 3-8 in scoring. That's one of the best marks in Basketball and majority in the know, feel that Melo is a top 5 offensive player. I personally think he's the 2nd best behind Kobe. He makes his players better on offense not to mention and he ease the workload on Joe and Horford. He's always in the top 5 at drawing fouls. There are so many stats you can use to love or loathe Melo. The modern day Dominique Wilkins statwise. The bottom line, if you place him in the perfect storm which Atlanta could be if they got a legit center, he can win one to three rings as a Hawk.

He is 6th in ppg during his career behind Kobe, Lebron, AI, Durant, and Wade. Over the last 3 years, he is 6th in points and tied for 5th in ppg. So saying that he is in the top 5-6 in raw scoring is right.He is not near the near the 3 overall, though, because he is one of the least efficient of those top scorers.Over the last 3 years, Carmelo Anthony has scored 4345 points. Among the 13 people who have scored over 4000 points in that time, he ranks 11th in efficiency (ts%). The only two below his .537 ts% are JJ (at .534 ts%) and Derrick Rose. He is behind 10 other scorers who have scored between 1300 more points than him and 300 points less than him.He is very good but I am not sure how he is better offensively than guys like Bosh (100 fewer points on 400 fewer shots), Amare (170 fewer points on 550 fewer shots), Dirk (600 more points on 250 more shots, Granger (200 fewer points on 300 fewer shots), etc....let alone the guys whose productivity is on a whole different level (Lebron, Wade, Durant, Kobe).

Stats lie. Carmelo is one of three guys that can win a scoring title if they wanted. Only LBJ and Durant can score as Carmelo can.

Then I question his heart because he is being outscored by more than LBJ and Durant and despite him holding back on taking more shots, he is still not getting you nearly the bang per shot that other guys are.

That was the definition for superstar from merriam Webster. I never said that Carmelo was an inferior basketball player although he's not quite as an efficient scored as Dirk.

I didn't see the word "superstar" in your post but that is fair - sorry for the mistake on my part. On Dirk, Carmelo has been both less efficient and less productive as a scorer (this season Dirk is vastly more efficient with the same ppg). Whatever the criteria you want to use - he isn't a premier player, not a top tier player, etc. in my book. I guess we'll see if he can elevate his next team to contenders as the top dog on his team or not and then the proof will be in the pudding. I'd like his chances a lot more on a team where he was the 2nd best guy (behind Chris Paul, Dwight, etc.) or where he was supported by guys who weren't much less talented (like JJ, Horford, etc.). I don't think we'll ever see a Carmelo led team that resembles the 1994-95 Rockets or 2008-09 Magic, for example. He just isn't good enough to support those teams to the finals or championships, IMO. Edited by AHF

Okay, I'll admit I haven't paid much attention to the Hawks this year. I've been watching football, and I'm still a bit upset about the JJ contract. So, I"ll fully admit that you guys all know more about the team than I do.That being said.......I'm not sure I would mind losing Al for Carmelo.(ducks flying objects)Just hear me out!With "the core", we're well on our way to getting swept in Round 2 again. Nobody wants that, so we need some type of change. If we lose Al but pick up Melo, we've now got:1.) The Star - Carmelo2.) The Robin - JJ3.) The Rodman - SmithUnless we're different than what I remember last year, Horford is a better offensive threat, probably better all around player, but Smith is our defense/dirty work/enforcer. If we pick up Melo, having that piece seems like maybe it'd be more important.Or am I wrong? I'll readily admit that I haven't watched much of the Hawks this year. Sorry for the ignorant post!