Joe Johnson Wants His Baby Mom to Pay HIM Child Support

Brooklyn Nets guard Joe Johnson has a $126-million contract tied to his name and now he's filed legal docs to make sure his son gets a piece of it ... TMZ has learned.

The All-Star guard filed paternity paperwork earlier this week in Georgia to legally establish himself as the father of his alleged 5-year old son, whose mother is named Shannon Beckton.

In the docs, Johnson says he still wants to test for DNA (just in case) ... but if he is the father, he is asking the judge for joint physical and legal custody, for his son to be able to inherit from him, and for his son to take on his last name.

A judge has yet to rule.

His baby mom

Posted Image

Joe got paid 119Million and STILL wants more. I'm not mad at him lol

Is he trying to buck the trend of women getting pregnant by athlete just so they can love off child support ? or is he just being an asshole ? Either way, I hope I find out the results of this.

...didn't Joe have issues with his father for never being there growing up? The view of Joe from afar seems very strange.And I don't get the picture, from the report it doesn't seem like Joe is having this Shannon chick pay anything.

BA star Joe Johnson’s current contract is worth a whopping $126 million. Grossly overpaid due to a deal that he signed with his former team, Atlanta Hawks, Johnson is currently one of the highest paid players in the NBA. However, he believes that he shouldn’t be the sole provider of his 5-year old son. According to reports, Johnson filed paperwork in Georgia to establish himself as the father of the young boy and he is also seeking joint custody, if the child is indeed his. Johnson also wants a DNA test to make sure he fathered the child. But the most ridiculous request by Johnson is for the mother of the child, Shannon Beckton, to also pay child support so that he won’t have to take full financial responsibility. The judge has yet to rule in the case. Johnson was recently traded to the Brooklyn Nets and will team up with NBA All-Star Deron Williams

http://rollingout.com/sports/nba-star-joe-johnson-wants-baby-mother-to-pay-child-support/

• Premium Member

I don't see what's absurd about this. A parent's obligation to financially support his/her child should not (and does not) depend on whether the other parent has lots of money. Contributing money to support your child is something that everyone who becomes a parent should have to do; even if you don't believe in that as a moral imperative, you should believe in it for economic reasons (i.e. so that parents factor in the costs associated with raising a child before deciding whether to have a child). JJ will undoubtedly pay 99.9% of the child's expenses if he legally recognized as the child's father. The mother shouldn't be relieved of her obligation to contribute 0.1%. No parent should.

• Like 2

I don't see what's absurd about this. A parent's obligation to financially support his/her child should not (and does not) depend on whether the other parent has lots of money. Contributing money to support your child is something that everyone who becomes a parent should have to do; even if you don't believe in that as a moral imperative, you should believe in it for economic reasons (i.e. so that parents factor in the costs associated with raising a child before deciding whether to have a child). JJ will undoubtedly pay 99.9% of the child's expenses if he legally recognized as the child's father. The mother shouldn't be relieved of her obligation to contribute 0.1%. No parent should.

Thank you! I find the opposite viewpoint unbelievably offensive, sexist, whatever you want to call it. How DARE Joe Johnson expect the mother of his child to pay at least some portion of her son's living expenses! Shame on him, SHAME SHAME SHAME! Seriously people, you bring a kid into this world, get ready to pay some bills for the next 18 years.
  • Like 1

I agree too. So often, though, you see women anxious to get pregnant (not even married) by a wealthy man to receive thousands a month in child support. No kid requires thousands a month to live well. I understand a parent wants their child in a good home and in good schools, but some of these monthly payments are absolutely ridiculous. Could you imagine paying 10k or 20k a month to support JUST a child ?

• Premium Member

I can't believe anyone would criticize Joe for this. He wants to make sure the child is really his and he wants the mother, you know a PARENT, to also take be responsible for the kid if it is his. What's wrong with that? You don't get a free pass because you are a woman and the father is rich. Anyone that says otherwise is being incredibly sexist against women to reduce them to some kind of barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen stereotype.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

My take: the people who thought this was ridiculous thought Joe was asking the mother to pay him child support that he could put in his pocket like she is hoping will happen. I doubt any of them will argue with the statement that the mother should bear some level of financial responsibility for her child. I think they saw her as trying to reap a windfall and JJ trying to flip the scenario and get her to give him money. At this point, I doubt there is any actual debate on this thread.