• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Elton Brand to ATL.

CJB

I think what is lost on a lot of fans is the fact that a player of Brand's pedigree wants to play for us. How many times have we watched vets like Ray Allen, Mike Miller, Jason Terry, Grant Hill, Rasheed Wallace et al, and I do mean ALL, go play for less money somewhere else?

Ferry said we need to do two things first and foremost, change the culture and get the basketball right. We are getting a glimpse of that right now in just his first 12 months. If we treat Brand well and he speaks highly of us, more vets will come play for us. We can say the same thing about Millsap. Quit pissing and moaning about not building a champion in 12 months and look at the glass as half full!

Just step back and think about this, I bet money you can't remember the last time we did not have to give max money to get a decent free agent to play here; much less two in the same damn year!

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

I think what is lost on a lot of fans is the fact that a player of Brand's pedigree wants to play for us. How many times have we watched vets like Ray Allen, Mike Miller, Jason Terry, Grant Hill, Rasheed Wallace et al, and I do mean ALL, go play for less money somewhere else?

Ferry said we need to do two things first and foremost, change the culture and get the basketball right. We are getting a glimpse of that right now in just his first 12 months. If we treat Brand well and he speaks highly of us, more vets will come play for us. We can say the same thing about Millsap. Quit pissing and moaning about not building a champion in 12 months and look at the glass as half full!

Just step back and think about this, I bet money you can't remember the last time we did not have to give max money to get a decent free agent to play here; much less two in the same damn year!

The problem is that if the team makes the playoffs then the season is worthless and they will have nothing to show for it. I have no idea why people are fine with having wasted seasons that end up being unproductive. Such as the season the team just had. Why are fans eager for the team to repeat that?

• Like 1

The problem is that if the team makes the playoffs then the season is worthless and they will have nothing to show for it. I have no idea why people are fine with having wasted seasons that end up being unproductive. Such as the season the team just had. Why are fans eager for the team to repeat that?

So you obviously think German Chocolate is chopped liver. In reality he could be an allstar for all we know. He is just 19 years old.

What about Nogueria ? He has all the tools to be amongst the shot block leaders and make and All Defensive Team.

John Jenkins looks like a good player to. Lets see what he does in year #2 before we forget about him.

If this team "gets the basketball right" / "starts playing the right way" then star veterans will take notice. Who do great players love to play with ? Smart coaches and smart PGs who are gifted passes that know when and where to feed them the rock. German Chocolate looks like he could be that guy.

What scares star veterans away from you ? A team that plays sloppy ball. A team that lacks basic baskebtall IQ. A team who's incumbent "star" is Josh Smith and jacks up ill advised shots over and over throughout their career.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think superstars attract other superstars. Teams like Memphis don't attract superstars even though they may be very competent and well coached. The ability to team up with James Harden, Blake Griffin, Dwyane Wade, etc. is more attractive. It isn't a coincidence that Houston finally got their stud not after they started playing competently and winning but when they acquired a 'big name, bright lights' player in Harden.

• Like 3

• Moderators

What a crazy thread. Not sure how you can knock a one year deal at $4million for a player of this caliber.

Also if you looked at the standing reach numbers Brand is ahead of Gortat and Chandler, two guys this board would slobber over if we acquired. Unless you're worried we are going to lose a head butt competition the argument that Brand is too small to play center is bunk.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I think superstars attract other superstars. Teams like Memphis don't attract superstars even though they may be very competent and well coached. The ability to team up with James Harden, Blake Griffin, Dwyane Wade, etc. is more attractive. It isn't a coincidence that Houston finally got their stud not after they started playing competently and winning but when they acquired a 'big name, bright lights' player in Harden.

Once again...this.^^

Or, ya know, it could be that whole not having any cap space to sign a superstar thing that is holding Memphis back. But sure, not having a superstar is holding them back from getting that superstar could be an explanation that works too (somehow).

And Houston "finally got their stud" in Dwight after they, uhhh...got their *other* stud in Harden to come play with a superstar like Asik/Lin?? Come on man. You are reaching.

If we can get past the notion of tanking I think you can appreciate these moves a lot more. A few years ago when we were winning 20 games a year no one would have moaned about signing guys like Lou, Millsap, and Brand without having to overpay. The sooner the tankers accept that we are not tanking we can move on and have a productive conversation.Brand on a one year deal is way better than a treadmill guy on a long contract.

Or, ya know, it could be that whole not having any cap space to sign a superstar thing that is holding Memphis back. But sure, not having a superstar is holding them back from getting that superstar could be an explanation that works too (somehow).

And Houston "finally got their stud" in Dwight after they, uhhh...got their *other* stud in Harden to come play with a superstar like Asik/Lin?? Come on man. You are reaching.

The Rockets TRADED for Harden and agreed to pay him top dollar. He then proceeded to exceed expectations which then led to Howard coming on board. No different than Shaq looking at a young DWade and deciding to go to Miami.

• Premium Member

My take...

Brand is a certain type of player. He has experience. He has a post game. He's definitely undersized but plays bigger than that. I think that's true for both Horf and Millsap also. However, we needed a true post presence on offense for some time now. I'm not saying that Brand is it, but I think he may be able to help institute the culture.

What is Brand not....

[*]Brand is not a replacement for Zaza. Zaza had his own function and that was to be scrappy. Brand is not here to be scrappy, he's here to be tough. [*]Brand is not a starter. Brand will fight for minutes and will get some, but I think more than anything, he's the old vet in the lockerroom and on the practice court that can demonstrate to the young vets how to do it. I also see him as a little bit of an enforcer. [*]I suppose we will pick up a C somewhere. I probably won't be a glamorous pick up but it will be somebody who can get it done.

• Premium Member

Yeah, I think you're right, a guy with 6 20+/10+ seasons and 2 All-Star appearances himself wouldn't have anything to teach Al or Paul.

One thing he can definitely teach them is post play. Al don't have a goto move in the post and frankly, he doesn't defend the post at a high level. Every day in practice going toe to toe with a guy who learned to be a post player in the streets will help Al and Sap.

• Like 1

Man there is a lot of crying in this thread. Some people are going to whine no matter what the Hawks do. Some people are so impatient they want to judge the GM but they forget that before Ferry came here, Atlanta was doomed to mediocrity for years with Joe's contract, Now, at least, the Hawks have flexibility while fielding a competitive team. Again, the only way this team was going to be an instant contender was to land Paul and Howard. Didn't happen, and it's not because Danny Ferry screwed up.Who wants a tissue?

Man there is a lot of crying in this thread. Some people are going to whine no matter what the Hawks do. Some people are so impatient they want to judge the GM but they forget that before Ferry came here, Atlanta was doomed to mediocrity for years with Joe's contract, Now, at least, the Hawks have flexibility while fielding a competitive team. Again, the only way this team was going to be an instant contender was to land Paul and Howard. Didn't happen, and it's not because Danny Ferry screwed up.Who wants a tissue?

You will get all of the mediocrity that you want. Enjoy it.

You will get all of the mediocrity that you want. Enjoy it.

Who wants mediocrity? The only way to build a team is to tank, right? It's also a way to get on the "suck for years" treadmill. You guys act like tanking for a year guarantees a championship contender, but it doesn't. I can easily respond to you, "Tank and you'll get your 20 win team every year that you want." The logic on this board is laughable.