Has ferry made you regret the Johnson trade with the way the season is going?

JTB

• Premium Member

Absolutely not impressed with last off-season. The drafting was cool, but the FA moves or lack thereof was VERY disappointing. How long until Ferry turns the created cap space into a team with true potential; either a winner or a young team with unlimited potential? Until we are in one of those two situations...blah.....

You are more likely to see Ferry Build a team that competes strongly toward the middle.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think the trade of Joe was good to unload the contract. On the other hand nothing was done in the offseason to bring in a player of the caliber of Joe. So, at this point it is a wash.

If you are looking for a quick fix or a star here in the next 5 years you are going to be disappointed. People hang on the point that danny has traded off the expensive Mercedes but he bought back a Chevy Impala and a S10.

DF has not proven he can build a franchise, he failed with Lebron in Cleveland and hired on in San Antonio who was already established. I hope he can for our sanity......

• Like 1

Personally, I'm not sorry that any former Hawk is gone. Some I miss

more than others, example Zaza and Ivan the terrible.

It's fun when watching another team and a former Hawk does something,

sometimes good and sometimes bad.

Am I sorry JJ and his huge contract are gone. Nope. Not at all.

• Premium Member

I think the trade of Joe was good to unload the contract. On the other hand nothing was done in the offseason to bring in a player of the caliber of Joe. So, at this point it is a wash.

If you are looking for a quick fix or a star here in the next 5 years you are going to be disappointed. People hang on the point that danny has traded off the expensive Mercedes but he bought back a Chevy Impala and a S10.

DF has not proven he can build a franchise, he failed with Lebron in Cleveland and hired on in San Antonio who was already established. I hope he can for our sanity......

Vol,

This is the right summation. Just like many people, Ferry has his demons that he's fighting. One of them is a deep rooted family demon to prove that you don't need expensive players to win in this league. He was only egged on farther by his time in San Antonio. However, the difference is that superstars will cost money. And you need more than 1 to win in this league.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Win / loss wise we are behind those teams but I dunno man, I think I'd put my money on this Hawks team (fully healthy) beating the best JJ Hawks team fully healthy in a 7 game series.

Agreed. Espeacilly in the case Bud "forgets" to tell the players to guard the other perimeter shooter... Posted Image

Now, that Josh thing... You know...

Edited by BrazilianHawk
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Another one of these I regret wanting to tank before the season because loosing games during the season makes me not want to tank anymore type threads. At the beginning of the season, many wanted Ferry to tank to have a chance at drafting a so called superstar. After experiencing early season success before the injuries, fans changed their minds and wanted to win. Now that tanking is inevitable, some fans are starting to breakdown and wish for the so called Hawk Glory days of Joe Johnson. Wow!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Did he really fail though. I mean he built a contender. Everything doesn't always end up in championship even if you did everything right, which no one does. Some things are out of your control though.

I still miss Joe a ton, and he remains one of my favorite players in the NBA. That being said, it is for his play style: calm and collected, no whining, and lets his play do the talking for him, especially in clutch situation.

BUT, his skill level has slightly decreased, and his shot has been a bit off for a few seasons now, and he is worth maybe half of what he is being paid. I know that it is tough to give up a favorite player, or a player that you have seen bring success to your team, but getting rid of Joe was necessary for the future. That being said, that Hawks team with Bibby/JJ/Marvin/Smoove/Horf/Craw/Zaza is my favorite of all-time (only been a fan since 2004 of course), and I don't see any squad in the near future being more likable, even if they win a championship. The combination of infuriating failure and relentless swagger made me love that team so much.

Did he really fail though. I mean he built a contender. Everything doesn't always end up in championship even if you did everything right, which no one does. Some things are out of your control though.

Ask Lebron if Pat Riley failed. This isn't holloywood, it's professional sports and you ONLY play to win. You don't win, you failed on that day. There's first place and everyone else. I certainly hope that Ferry doesn't share your idea of success and failure.

• Moderators

Ask Lebron if Pat Riley failed. This isn't holloywood, it's professional sports and you ONLY play to win. You don't win, you failed on that day. There's first place and everyone else. I certainly hope that Ferry doesn't share your idea of success and failure.

That's crazy. Then probably 95% of all nba gms are failures. There are a million things that a gm can't control. It is impossible for even Pat Riley! to take any situation and turn it into a championship. One of the reasons Riley has been successful is he has a LOT more control over the Heat than Ferry ever had in Cleveland and a LOT more time to make things happen.

I'm saying that so far since Joe has been gone we aren't any worse. Last year we were as good or better than his final year here. This year at full strength I'd say the same.

Horford was also hurt in his final year. The people that want to blame Horford's injury for the collapse of this year's team, need to remember that we didn't have him hardly at all during the strike shortened 2011 - 12 season.

And we still won the equivalent of 50 games in that season, but lost to Boston ( who reached the EC Finals that season as a 4 seed )

The year after JJ, we win 44 games and are a 6 seed . . that lost to the 3 seed Indiana Pacers.

This year, we're tracking to win around 36 games, and be an 8 seed . . that will play either Indiana or Miami, Hopefully we can at least duplicate what the 2008 Hawks did, and push one of those teams to a 7 game series, and not lose in 4 or 5 games.

Like it or not, the Joe Johnson trade has only made us better financially, and not on the court. People talk about the potential for the future, and that's fine. But without that right free agent acquisition, the right 1st round pick that can play right away, or the rapid development of one of our young kids, that future improvement may be far, far away . . like 3 or more years away.

And that future could be derailed significantly if Millsap leaves after next season, or if Horford leaves in the summer of 2016. That's only 2 years folks.

The GM needs to simply upgrade the talent on this roster, to insure that we are right for the future. And he needs to do it fast.

• Like 2

Win / loss wise we are behind those teams but I dunno man, I think I'd put my money on this Hawks team (fully healthy) beating the best JJ Hawks team fully healthy in a 7 game series.

You'd lose your money too.

Because the one thing those old Hawks teams could do on occasion, was play stellar defense ( especially against mediocre teams ) and score enough to beat people.

Even the last JJ team in the strike shortened 2011 - 12 season, was a team that was almost automatic for a win once they scored 92 points. They were a whopping 38 - 4 when they scored 92 or more points.

This year's Hawks team have only held an opponent to 92 or less points in only 14 games.

People aren't taking into account just how bad defensively this year's Hawks team is. Even with Horford, we were only a mediocre defense at best.

Horford was also hurt in his final year. The people that want to blame Horford's injury for the collapse of this year's team, need to remember that we didn't have him hardly at all during the strike shortened 2011 - 12 season. And we still won the equivalent of 50 games in that season, but lost to Boston ( who reached the EC Finals that season as a 4 seed ) The year after JJ, we win 44 games and are a 6 seed . . that lost to the 3 seed Indiana Pacers. This year, we're tracking to win around 36 games, and be an 8 seed . . that will play either Indiana or Miami, Hopefully we can at least duplicate what the 2008 Hawks did, and push one of those teams to a 7 game series, and not lose in 4 or 5 games. Like it or not, the Joe Johnson trade has only made us better financially, and not on the court. People talk about the potential for the future, and that's fine. But without that right free agent acquisition, the right 1st round pick that can play right away, or the rapid development of one of our young kids, that future improvement may be far, far away . . like 3 or more years away. And that future could be derailed significantly if Millsap leaves after next season, or if Horford leaves in the summer of 2016. That's only 2 years folks. The GM needs to simply upgrade the talent on this roster, to insure that we are right for the future. And he needs to do it fast.

It's not just Al's injury. Who was Al's replacement when he got injured the first time - Zaza, how many games did Z miss? You cannot have yr starter, his backup, then his backup go down and not feel the cumulative effects throughout the entire team?How many games combined were missed due to injury then as opposed to now?In the 3 years you are talking about JJs contract would be just ending. We may not be as talented across the board but I'll take these guys and this brand of basketball who fight to the end.I'll take THIS rather than THAT.

It's not just Al's injury. Who was Al's replacement when he got injured the first time - Zaza, how many games did Z miss?

You cannot have yr starter, his backup, then his backup go down and not feel the cumulative effects throughout the entire team?

How many games combined were missed due to injury then as opposed to now?

In the 3 years you are talking about JJs contract would be just ending. We may not be as talented across the board but I'll take these guys and this brand of basketball who fight to the end.

I'll take THIS rather than THAT.

That's fine.

Here's what our missed games list of players looked like in 2011 - 12. This could be due to injuries or a DNP.

2011 - 12 was the strike shortened season of 66 games.

Horford - 55 . . ( pectoral tear )

Collins - 33 . . ( mostly DNPs )

Hinrich - 18 . . ( torn labrum in shoulder )

Radmanovic - 17 . . ( mostly DNPs )

Pargo - 16 . . ( appendix )

McGrady - 14 . . ( back - old man stuff - couldn't play in back to back games )

Green - 13 . . ( back and hamstring )

Ivan - 10 . . ( mostly DNPs )

Marvin - 9 . . ( ankle and back )

Zaza - 8 . . ( foot . . . also missed playoffs )

J. Johnson - 6 . . ( knee )

Teague - 0

Smith - 0

And that team still won about 61% of their games, and went into the playoffs depleted at center. Plus Josh got hurt during that series as well.

The only way I'd be into "Little League" type cheering for the Hawks this year, is if ALL of our young guys were playing. That way, you could make a legit excuse as to why we lose, and blame it on youth. But when we're getting beat with older players and vets on the floor, that's kind of hard to take.

We're healthy, but had to fight to the death to beat Utah . . . . UTAH.

Any win is an enjoyable win though. And last night was an enjoyable win.

But let's not get it twisted. This year's version of the Hawks would lose in a series every time to those past Hawks teams, no matter how schizophrenic and ISO heavy offensively they were.

That's fine.

Here's what our missed games list of players looked like in 2011 - 12. This could be due to injuries or a DNP.

2011 - 12 was the strike shortened season of 66 games.

Horford - 55 . . ( pectoral tear )

Collins - 33 . . ( mostly DNPs )

Hinrich - 18 . . ( torn labrum in shoulder )

Radmanovic - 17 . . ( mostly DNPs )

Pargo - 16 . . ( appendix )

McGrady - 14 . . ( back - old man stuff - couldn't play in back to back games )

Green - 13 . . ( back and hamstring )

Ivan - 10 . . ( mostly DNPs )

Marvin - 9 . . ( ankle and back )

Zaza - 8 . . ( foot . . . also missed playoffs )

J. Johnson - 6 . . ( knee )

Teague - 0

Smith - 0

And that team still won about 61% of their games, and went into the playoffs depleted at center. Plus Josh got hurt during that series as well.

The only way I'd be into "Little League" type cheering for the Hawks this year, is if ALL of our young guys were playing. That way, you could make a legit excuse as to why we lose, and blame it on youth. But when we're getting beat with older players and vets on the floor, that's kind of hard to take.

We're healthy, but had to fight to the death to beat Utah . . . . UTAH.

Any win is an enjoyable win though. And last night was an enjoyable win.

But let's not get it twisted. This year's version of the Hawks would lose in a series every time to those past Hawks teams, no matter how schizophrenic and ISO heavy offensively they were.

Is your point that the Joe Johnson trade was a bad trade or that Ferry hasn't done a good job replacing him? I can agree with the latter, but in no way was the Joe trade a bad one.

That's crazy. Then probably 95% of all nba gms are failures. There are a million things that a gm can't control. It is impossible for even Pat Riley! to take any situation and turn it into a championship. One of the reasons Riley has been successful is he has a LOT more control over the Heat than Ferry ever had in Cleveland and a LOT more time to make things happen.

Shh, by his definition even Riley failed Lebron that 1st year.

• Like 1