• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Lance Stephenson Mega Thread

GameTime

Read earlier today that one of the problems in the locker room for the Pacers is one player was "diddling" another player's wife (LS part of that?)...plus...pushing a woman down the steps isn't a Bobby Cox slap around...that can be deadly.

Sounds to me this "young man" is more than a loose cannon...more like a hand grenade with the pin halfway pulled...with little regard for others.

I see no reason to bring in a "talented headcase". I don't think that is the direction this team wants to be going.

JMHO.

That said...who knows? Maybe he has matured and can be a top player in the league somewhere.

Edited by DJlaysitup

Read earlier today that one of the problems in the locker room for the Pacers is one player was "diddling" another player's wife (LS?)...plus...pushing a woman down the steps isn't a Bobby Cox slap around...that can be deadly.

Sounds to me this "young man" is more than a loose cannon...more like a hand grenade with the pin halfway pulled...with little regard for others.

I see no reason to bring in a "talented headcase". I don't think that is the direction this team wants to be going.

JMHO.

It takes two to tango, but smashing your teammates girl/ wife is foul, no matter how hard she's throwing it at you or how fine she may be.

I was surprised it wasn't more scrutinized, but he took a picture, in the Pacers film room no less, with $1,000,000 cash and of course posted it. I'm pretty sure if Larry Leg was aware, there was a closed door meeting with harsh wording. I love his game, but I can't blame anyone for passing on him due to his attitude and off the court antics.

The only loose cannon I can think of that the Spurs took a chance on (and paid off) was Stephen Jackson. I dont know Lance's upbringing, but I'm pretty sure the Spurs model of player evaluation that Bud and Ferry are used to is very adamant about guys who had a father at home or at least a strong male figure. I know if I were a GM, one of the first things I'd want to know about a kid is was his father present, among other socio-economic factors. Not at all saying those who grew up in broken homes and communities can't conduct themselves like respectable, intelligent men, but the odds drop signifigantly without a devoted dad in place, let's not sugar-coat it or be politically correct. I remember the GM who got ripped for asking Dez Bryant about his parents having a pimp/ prostitute relationship. That's due diligence. The Cowboy's "GM" went along and drafted him anyway, and soon had to appoint a chaperone and impose a curfew on a "grown" man. There's no time for child-rearing when you're paying a guy 10s of millions of dollars and entrusting him with your franchises class and integrity.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

....There's no time for child-rearing when you're paying a guy 10s of millions of dollars and entrusting him with your franchises class and integrity.

I think that is the key BHB...you can "roll the dice" on a guy with a questionable past (and big talent) if you are just paying enough money that you can afford to lose if all everything goes bad. For a contract of that size I would just pass and hope (for his sake) that he gets it together and does well somewhere in the Western Conference.

It's just not worth the risk.

Edited by DJlaysitup

To the guy that mentioned Gordon Hayward. I was on that bandwagon last year and I still like the idea. And unlike Lance, Gordon is a choir boy off the field. He just disappointed me so much this year. This was his year to shine and his stats actually declined. He is still really young so it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a flyer on him. He also seems like more of a 'Spurs' guy (think Ginobli potential). Also, remember he is a restricted free agent so Utah can match any deal we offer, so we may have to pay the same maybe even more than Lance to actually scare off Utah from matching.

• Admin

Guess I am in the middle on Lance.. would not be upset either way.. I do preferred Afflalo

completely agree...think AA would be perfect fit here. Score, shoot, handle the ball, great attitude, high bbiq, works hard and plays excellent d.

No, there was speculation of Magic trading him but he is on a good contract so I doubt it happens. We would have to give up something valuable.

I think Hayward can turn it around, but the fact that he is a restricted free agent makes his price jump due to the nature of Utah matching. Nick Young and Evan Turner are free agents, but blehhhhh.

Edited by ISO

Personally I am not a fan of this guy and I think making this guy our franchise player would be a terrible move. This is a New York Knicks/ Detroit Pistons type of move instead of a move a team that inspires to be "spurs-like"

Ferry has gone on and on about making a strong culture of high character and hard working individuals but you want a guy who air humps after crossing someone over or turns the ball over in the clutch because he tried to throw a fancy no look pass to represent our franchise and set examples for everyone on our team?

A team's culture is fragile. Our culture is more fragile than others because we are in such an early developmental stage of trying to build a good one. A guy like Lance is cancerous to that process.

Also I dont believe Lance has the mental make up to be a number one option on a winning team. He is a very poor decision maker with extreme maturity issue. Making this guy our head honcho will bring the worst out of these traits.

Haven't read through all the replies. But people are forgetting that we are trying to build this team like the Spurs built theirs. Stephenson has talent, but his on court attitude has no place on what the Hawks aspire to be.

I can't think of a player in Pop's tenure in San Antonio that was similar to the attitude of Lance Stephenson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't read through all the replies. But people are forgetting that we are trying to build this team like the Spurs built theirs. Stephenson has talent, but his on court attitude has no place on what the Hawks aspire to be.

I can't think of a player in Pop's tenure in San Antonio that was similar to the attitude of Lance Stephenson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen Jackson comes to mind.

According to the Squawk 'The Miserable Ones', there are only about 10 good players in the league.

Fixed. I've coined an official phrase for those on here 'who shall never be pleased regardless' ;)

• Like 2

I understand wanting to avoid real problem players, but I hope we don't start talking about the "Hawks Filter" like everyone does with the Falcons. Both of those teams have a reputation for being soft. Need to get mean occasionally.

If Ferry and Bud takes a chance on him, I will assume they have done their due diligence so I 'll be good with it. If he doesn't I'm good with that too.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

If Ferry and Bud takes a chance on him, I will assume they have done their due diligence so I 'll be good with it. If he doesn't I'm good with that too.

Dammit, Jaybird. Why do you have to be so reasonable all the time? Lol

I like the kid but I'm not sure Hayward can get much better. I believe Bud could do wonders for Stephenson, of course if he's "coachable". I must admit I dont think I've ever seen Aaron Afflalo play a full game. I haven't studied Ariza since he left LA where he was a stud next to Kobe, but his career high in threes is a good sign. Whoever can get to the line the most, hit a contested mid-range jumper with consistency, and be a defensive stopper hopefully gets the nod. Durability and age are the next factors, I hope money isn't.

Edited by benhillboy