• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

43rd Pick - Walter Tavares

Admin

Two words. Tree. Rollins.

Tree's lack of agility?

These two are much different. Tree was more skilled, a lot more skilled. This kid is an athletic marvel for his height and size. His quickness for  his height is crazy. Walt's lateral quickness is marveless.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

@rd79 or someone translate? 

Went to bed after pick 22...

I think you got the meaning already. Haven't read the whole topic, but for the sake of completeness I will translate it anyway.

New teammate for @dennismike93: Hawks pick Cape Verdean Stelle Walter Tavares with pick 43.

Edited by rd79
  • Like 1

Smh another wasted pick. My grandpa is more ready to play in the NBA than Tavares. He's even more raw player than Nogueira. He needs to develop on EVERYTHING. We'll have to wait for Teague's and Horford's retirement because both Tavares and Nogueira won't be ready to play in the NBA earlier.

Smh another wasted pick. My grandpa is more ready to play in the NBA than Tavares. He's even more raw player than Nogueira. He needs to develop on EVERYTHING. We'll have to wait for Teague's and Horford's retirement because both Tavares and Nogueira won't be ready to play in the NBA earlier.

Well, he shoots 75% from the FT line, so there's that...

• Like 1

Its funny how important it is to be tall in the basketball. This guy had never played basketball before when he was discovered in 2009 at age 17. Never. But now he is the NBA. Literally, as long as you can fog a mirror and you are 7 feet or taller, you will have a shot at playing professional basketball. That's really not an exaggeration. 

• Like 3

Even I have to admit that we finally got a center prospect who is tall enough.  But I have to wonder where in the heck is Cape Verde?  If they have a seven foot tall kid running around and no one ever thought of putting a basketball in his hands, it must be part of Antarctica.  A place with a bunch of scientist types who never think about sports.  Even then you would think the penguins would be smart enough to figure it out.

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1

Looking at the scouting report posted in this thread it said one of his weaknesses is rebounding. How the hell can a guy with an almost 10ft standing reach not be able to rebound. lol   Still like the pick. Hope either he or BeBe or both develope into double/double guys who block 3 or 4 shots a game.

That one scouting report video was pretty interesting.  After watching his strengths, I couldn't figure out why he wasn't the No. 1 pick.  Once I watched the weaknesses part, I got the answer.   But you know what - I took Hibbard a long time to develop, and if this guy doesn't have the Hibbard brain defect he could be good.

• Moderators

Makes me think of the singing group Tavares.

Tavares - Never Had A Love Like This Before:

I'm in here JUST for the Tavares music! headphones.gif

"It only takes a minute" to fall in love with this pick at 43!

~lw3

• Like 1

When you look at the videos of Walter Tavares, it immediately becomes apparent that this guy could become a tremendous big man. He is huge and athletic for his size. If he can come in and play aggressive defense and rebound like they show him in the video man what an asset for the Hawks. But it is contingent on player development. Coach Bud and the staff will have to do some quick teaching, because this guy has raw ability and tremendous size. We have all seen 7 foot guys come in to the league and flop, but this guy looks like he has something different, a different skill set - I am excited about this guy

• Like 1