• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bye Carroll!

LastDon

I'd be happy with bringing back Demarre at $7.5 mil per. I think that is very reasonable considering he basically playing the Tayshaun Prince/Tony Allen role on the starting lineup for us. He's a jack of all trades, but doesn't excel at anything particular.

All four of our All-Stars has a talent that they bring to the table. Teague with his speed, Korver with his threes, Sap with his versatility, and Horford with his leadership and all-round game. Demarre's play and success is solely contributed to effort. Effort guys don't get paid huge salaries.

I'd put Demarre between $6-8 mil and if he wants to wait and roll the dice to see what he gets once the new salary cap goes in effect in 2016, then offer him a two-year deal with an opt out after one year. 2 yr/$15 mil, $7.5 mil per.

I'm afraid anything under $10m and you aren't even going to be in the ballpark at this point. And that would probably be a steal with how much money he's likely to see thrown his way.

• Moderators

I'm afraid anything under $10m and you aren't even going to be in the ballpark at this point. And that would probably be a steal with how much money he's likely to see thrown his way.

I feel like every year there is fear of unreasonable contracts for good players but when it comes time all gms are going to look at $15 mill for Demarre and how it impacts their ability to sign other players and probably not be comfortable with that.  

A deal in the $12-15M a year range is a bit scary to hand a guy that's never averaged more than 15 points a game coming off a career year. I love DMC like the next Hawks fan but that's a bit much. A deal in the $9-10M a year range nearly quadruples his highest career salary. I guess that's the price you pay for 3-D guys nowadays.

But assuming that some clown in NYC or LA offers him that this summer. Who do we replace him with? I guess that's been the $64,000 question since the season ended...

• Moderators

A deal in the $12-15M a year range is a bit scary to hand a guy that's never averaged more than 15 points a game coming off a career year. I love DMC like the next Hawks fan but that's a bit much. A deal in the $9-10M a year range nearly quadruples his highest career salary. I guess that's the price you pay for 3-D guys nowadays.

But assuming that some clown in NYC or LA offers him that this summer. Who do we replace him with? I guess that's been the $64,000 question since the season ended...

Worst case scenario may be we replace him with our draft pick and Thabo.

• Moderators

or sign Afflalo or Matthews. Then get DMC to write the Hawks a thank you letter and an apology...

TTE:

Dear Atlanta Hawks,

Thanks for giving me a chance two years ago and making me the player I would have never become anywhere else. I hate that y'all couldn't give me the money I deserved. I will miss Atlanta, but I'll dry my eyes with the 100,000 hundies that y'all helped me get from New York!  Y'all did this 30 year old a solid!

Yours truly,

DMC the Greatness

• Premium Member

Over-reaction.

Don't crucify a guy for trying to get the best deal he can... he's not the first to subscribe to the idea that a little public commotion might help move the meter in his direction.

And don't assume that the market will be quite so kind to him, or that any of us are all that capable of prognosticating a number.

Case in point. A quick internet search revealed that last July at least one of the participants in this discussion asserted that Luol Deng would be signed for almost 50% more than he was.

• Like 1

I really hope not. Thabo may not be ready until 2016 if then.

If we were talking about bringing him back, Afflalo, and a pick, well...

Edited by Dejay

I really hope not. Thabo may not be ready until 2016 if then.

If we were talking about bringing him back, Afflalo, and a pick, well...

Thabo will be ready for the season opener.

Millsap and Carroll are going to be tough to figure out.  It sounds like the measure for overpaying is changing.  We could sign Carroll for $10m and Millsap for $15m and be OK going forward.  

Another thought I have is that we were a 60 win team last year and made it to the ECF.  Should we overpay these guys to have a chance at making a finals run?  If we are not gonna get better with other players, than why not resign our guys and keep our foot on the gas all year long into the playoffs?  

I don't mind spending if we get results.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

or sign Afflalo or Matthews. Then get DMC to write the Hawks a thank you letter and an apology...

TTE:

Dear Atlanta Hawks,

Thanks for giving me a chance two years ago and making me the player I would have never become anywhere else. I hate that y'all couldn't give me the money I deserved. I will miss Atlanta, but I'll dry my eyes with the 100,000 hundies that y'all helped me get from New York!  Y'all did this 30 year old a solid!

Yours truly,

DMC the Greatness

Signing a guy like Matthews isn't a worse case scenario at all, in my mind!

• Like 1

A worst case scenario is Thabo starting on this team. I'd rather give DMC 10 million a season to keep Thabo from playing more than 12-14 minutes a game.

A worst case scenario is Thabo starting on this team. I'd rather give DMC 10 million a season to keep Thabo from playing more than 12-14 minutes a game.

Thabo is our best defender and best rebounder (as sad an indictment of our rebounding as that is).  I'm ok with him playing more minutes.

• Like 2

Thabo is our best defender and best rebounder (as sad an indictment of our rebounding as that is).  I'm ok with him playing more minutes.

Also, almost 50% of DMC's points come from him cutting to the basket, which I'm pretty sure Thabo is capable of doing. Thabo starting wouldn't hurt the team much, if at all.

Edited by ATLHawks3

im not liking DMC's talk about big money and being a potential all star. Im feeling like hes getting alittle big headed after that great playoff run he had.

I completely understand the business aspect about marketing yourself but to already talk about money in his exit interview, hours after your season ended really irks me and shows me where his priorities are.

TTE:

Dear Atlanta Hawks,

Yours truly,

DMC the Greatness

More like:

Dear cheap trflin ass bishes,

I heard Squawkers say that the Hawks made DeMarre.  Made DeMarre say "OK, so make another DeMarre"

*Hov laugh* emoji emoji emoji

$incerely,

Lo$t One DM getting that Cheese.

Demarre must have forgot that he can't create off the dribble if he thinks he can put himself on the same level as Paul, Jimmy and Kawhi.

I love the guy but he is not on their level.  I will be more than happy to eat my words if he decides to show up with some handles next season.

I think the market will see it this way as well.  His stock is certainly up, and I hope the Hawks keep him, but if some team is willing to overpay then we have to let him walk.

As for the attention in the media, it's all marketing.  You can't blame the guy for doing what he needs to do.  You also can't blame him if the media takes an interest in him.