• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Second Round Options

gopack10

New here.  Loving the draft talk as I'm a huge NBA Draft guy.  Stumbled across this piece on NBADraft.net this morning and it was regarding the Hawks.  Most of the first round stuff is what I've read already but what I liked is the second rounder talk as those are the more interesting picks to me.

What do you guys think about this guy's second round options?

http://welcometothebigs.net/2015/06/23/atlanta-hawks-draft-prospects/

I personally love the Branden Dawson pick late in the second.

I wouldn't be mad at Dawson in the second. I really would love Andrew Harrison too or even Michael Frazier if he falls could be a good fit for us.

Tokoto falling to us would be nice but something makes me feel like he won't

Hate Dawson.  Too unskilled on O.

Would love the Harrison kid, Jonathan Holmes or Dakari Johnson (career bench big at worst).

Wouldn't mind Tokoto (aka what Kelly Oubre will be in 3 years).  (@NBASupes is gonna punch me in the face for that comment)

Hate Dawson.  Too unskilled on O.

Would love the Harrison kid, Jonathan Holmes or Dakari Johnson (career bench big at worst).

Wouldn't mind Tokoto (aka what Kelly Oubre will be in 3 years).  (@NBASupes is gonna punch me in the face for that comment)

It's completely wrong and I like Tokoto for what he's worth. Not sure he fits our style of offense. I like him with a team like the Kings or the Suns. Up-tempo full court Basketball where BBIQ isn't a need. 

It's completely wrong and I like Tokoto for what he's worth. Not sure he fits our style of offense. I like him with a team like the Kings or the Suns. Up-tempo full court Basketball where BBIQ isn't a need. 

That's what I think about Oubre.

• Premium Member

Second round is such an all-out crap shoot, it's hard for me to get too excited about any of it except for the first-round projections that fall to early second. But I do love to monitor the player development thing once we get whoever we get, not unlike I do when it comes to baseball.

That's what I think about Oubre.

Have you seen Oubre play? He has good BBIQ. His issue is awareness. It would be poor day 1. This is knowing what's around you. Making smart reads consistently. Situation Basketball. The Hawks are one of the best teams in the NBA for awareness. Our bench awareness is an issue. Most of our bench players have below average to average awareness outside of Thabo which is league norm for most benches. Ex. Payne last year had solid awareness. His lack of positional versatility and BBIQ killed him in Atlanta but he played okay in Minny.  

Example:

Great awareness- Horford

Good awareness- Jeff Teague

Average awareness- Shumpert

Below average awareness- Dennis, he had poor awareness as a rookie. 

Poor awareness- Rookie Biyombo or Josh Smith. 

BBIQ. Oubre has good BBIQ on offense and defense. He will adjust to the NBA but the game shouldn't be an issue for him unlike his teammate Cliff Alexander who had poor BBIQ while having average awareness for a young big. This is the ability to process information and how quickly you do it. Your ability to maintain a lot of information and act upon it. You MUST have BBIQ to play in our offense. Dennis has good BBIQ with potential to have very good BBIQ. That's why Payne didn't fit and was traded. This is the reason why most rookies struggle in our offense because you really have to know NBA Basketball to get consistent minutes in our rotation. It even took a vet like Antić a half season to adjust. 

Great BBIQ- Rondo

Good BBIQ- Millsap

Above average BBIQ- Dennis or prime Ron Artest. There is NO way you can be below above average BBIQ and play for the Hawks are any advanced offense. Not possible. I seen this with players like Josh McRoberts. 

Average BBIQ- Matt Barnes

Below Average BBIQ- Lou Williams, Ibaka and J.R. Smith

Poor BBIQ- Payne, Blatche, Jordan Crawford

Decision making is something Oubre could improve but that comes with playing time and improved awareness. 

Have you seen Oubre play? He has good BBIQ. His issue is awareness. It would be poor day 1. This is knowing what's around you. Making smart reads consistently. Situation Basketball. The Hawks are one of the best teams in the NBA for awareness. Our bench awareness is an issue. Most of our bench players have below average to average awareness outside of Thabo which is league norm for most benches. Ex. Payne last year had solid awareness. His lack of positional versatility and BBIQ killed him in Atlanta but he played okay in Minny.

Example:

Great awareness- Horford

Good awareness- Jeff Teague

Average awareness- Shumpert

Below average awareness- Dennis, he had poor awareness as a rookie.

Poor awareness- Rookie Biyombo or Josh Smith.

BBIQ. Oubre has good BBIQ on offense and defense. He will adjust to the NBA but the game shouldn't be an issue for him unlike his teammate Cliff Alexander who had poor BBIQ while having average awareness for a young big. This is the ability to process information and how quickly you do it. Your ability to maintain a lot of information and act upon it. You MUST have BBIQ to play in our offense. Dennis has good BBIQ with potential to have very good BBIQ. That's why Payne didn't fit and was traded. This is the reason why most rookies struggle in our offense because you really have to know NBA Basketball to get consistent minutes in our rotation. It even took a vet like Antić a half season to adjust.

Great BBIQ- Rondo

Good BBIQ- Millsap

Above average BBIQ- Dennis or prime Ron Artest. There is NO way you can be below above average BBIQ and play for the Hawks are any advanced offense. Not possible. I seen this with players like Josh McRoberts.

Average BBIQ- Matt Barnes

Below Average BBIQ- Lou Williams, Ibaka and J.R. Smith

Poor BBIQ- Payne, Blatche, Jordan Crawford

Decision making is something Oubre could improve but that comes with playing time and improved awareness.

Those are all good points but relying on the eye test, I don't like what I see from Oubre. The more I see, the less I like. Something just tells me he isn't gonna cut it in the NBA. He just doesn't have IT. I'm really hoping we don't draft him. I can't even point to what I don't like about him specifically, there's just something wrong with his game. I'm also really hesitant to gamble on the P word, the infamous Potential..(See Marvin)

Those are all good points but relying on the eye test, I don't like what I see from Oubre. The more I see, the less I like. Something just tells me he isn't gonna cut it in the NBA. He just doesn't have IT. I'm really hoping we don't draft him. I can't even point to what I don't like about him specifically, there's just something wrong with his game. I'm also really hesitant to gamble on the P word, the infamous Potential..(See Marvin)

The way you feel about Oubre is how I feel about Lamb.  Boom!

@NBASupes what's the difference between IQ and awareness for you (actual question, not trying to be smug)?  I don't see why lacking one is better/worse than the other.

The way you feel about Oubre is how I feel about Lamb. Boom!

@NBASupes what's the difference between IQ and awareness for you (actual question, not trying to be smug)? I don't see why lacking one is better/worse than the other.

Touché

Processing and retaining information, quickness of thoughts, how much info can you break down in a split second relating to sports- IQ 

Instincts, feel for the game and situation understanding - Awareness. 

Both BBIQ and awareness can improve with experience but if you topped out like J.R. Smith, sometimes, you are what you are. 

Edited by NBASupes