• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thanks for the Memories, Shelvin Mack!

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
Just now, Hawkmoor said:

Hawks HAD their chance.  Next year, teams are not gonna look the Hawks way. 

I have no idea what this means.

My point is that there are very few FA point guards worth a crap this offseason.  Teams have more ability to make moves in the offseason and every team thinks it can make a jump, hasn't had key injuries, etc. which isn't the case for a lot of teams now.  There is going to be deseration from some teams for a PG this summer and Teague makes an appealing and superior alternative to the best free agent PG this is likely to change teams in Rondo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I have no idea what this means.

My point is that there are very few FA point guards worth a crap this offseason.  Teams have more ability to make moves in the offseason and every team thinks it can make a jump, hasn't had key injuries, etc. which isn't the case for a lot of teams now.  There is going to be deseration from some teams for a PG this summer and Teague makes an appealing and superior alternative to the best free agent PG this is likely to change teams in Rondo.

I understand what you are saying. I just think that with the new salary cap coming in and other free agents coming up next year, ( not necessarily point guards) that the Hawks are not gonna be dealing from a position of strength like they couldve this off season.  I could be wrong, and the market for Teague dictates that the Hawks CAN deal him for a good return. I just dont think it will happen though.  And lastly, who says the Hawks REALLY want to trade Teague. This just might be the starting five for the next 3 or 4 years, with only Korver getting benched.

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I understand what you are saying. I just think that with the new salary cap coming in and other free agents coming up next year, ( not necessarily point guards) that the Hawks are not gonna be dealing from a position of strength like they couldve this off season.  I could be wrong, and the market for Teague dictates that the Hawks CAN deal him for a good return. I just dont think it will happen though. 

It is always a good bet that the Hawks won't trade one of their players.  I do think the market should be strong for PGs this offseason in a way it wasn't last year or right now.  

Here were the guys available last offseason:

1. Goran Dragic – Player Option

Dragic is in a tier unto himself, as the cream-of-the-PG-crop, in what is a relatively weak group of free agents point guards. In 2013-14, Goran averaged 20.3 points per game and 5.9 assists, while shooting over 50 percent from the floor (LeBron James was the only other player to average at least 20/5.5/50 percent in 2013-14, and no player in the NBA matched those numbers this season). Dragic’s numbers weren’t quite as impressive in 2014-15, as he had to split minutes in a crowded Phoenix backcourt before being traded mid-season. The HEAT paid a steep price (two first-round draft picks) to acquire him from Phoenix at the trade deadline, so it’s safe to assume Miami will be willing to pony up and offer Dragic max money this summer. However, might Dragic be willing to gamble and sign just a two-year deal with an option to opt-out in 2016, which would allow him to sign a far more lucrative contract next summer? (Last month we outlined the pros and cons of this potential strategy that may be employed by top-tier free agents this summer)

2. Reggie Jackson – Restricted Free Agent

Jackson is coming off a roller-coaster 2014-15 campaign. Over the first 15 games of the season, with both Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook sidelined for the majority of those contests, Jackson averaged 19.3 points, 7.3 assists and 5.1 rebounds. Jackson was one of only two players to average at least 19/7/5 over the first month of the season. However, Jackson landed in coach Scott Brooks’ doghouse shortly after KD and Westbrook returned, and Jackson’s numbers nosedived. He was then traded to Detroit, and after stumbling a bit in his first few games, played terrifically for the Pistons. In fact, Jackson was one of only four players to average at least 17 points and 9 assists in post-All-Star break action. The other three were Chris Paul, Westbrook and John Wall. Will the Pistons, who have Brandon Jennings returning from injury next season, be willing to match a large offer to Jackson this summer?

3. Brandon Knight – Restricted Free Agent

Knight has already played for three different teams in his short NBA career. He’s shown steady improvement, but he is just a career 41 percent shooter from the floor and maybe more of an undersized combo-guard than pure PG. Still, he flashed considerable upside in 2013-14, when he averaged just under 18 points and five assists per contest. There will be plenty of interested parties vying for the 23-year-old’s services.

4. Rajon Rondo – Unrestricted Free Agent

It seems like only yesterday when it was all but a forgone conclusion that Rondo would have teams beating down his door to offer him a max contract when he hit the open market. However, Rondo’s stock, which was dipping, bottomed out in Dallas. After an uninspired effort in Game 2 of their playoffs series, the Mavericks sent him home and refused to pay him a postseason share. While Rondo’s performance this past season was undeniably disappointing, the signs of regression were certainly evident. Not only is he injury prone (Rondo has missed at least 14 games each season this decade), his production even when healthy is no longer elite. Once a feared defender, Rondo is now merely average. And his offensive efficiently has gone from bad to worse. He’s a career 26% three-point shooter and last season he became the first player in NBA history shorter than 6’6 to shoot below 40 percent from the free-throw line over the course of a full NBA campaign. We know he won’t be back in Dallas, but where will he end up? And for how much? The Rondo situation is extremely interesting and largely unpredictable.

5. Patrick Beverley – Restricted Free Agent

The ball-hawking Beverley has been one of the NBA’s most aggressive defenders since elbowing his way into the Rockets’ rotation. However, his health is a bit of a question mark after missing the end of the regular season and the playoffs after undergoing surgery on his left wrist that will require four months of recovery. This may decrease demand for his services. If so, he may end up as one of the better values on the market.

Here are the top guys for this summer:

mike_conley.jpg
Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-1 / Team: Memphis
15.1 ppg, 5.8 apg

All-Star caliber point guard that has yet to make the All-Star. The player with the most games in Grizzlies history is about to get a pay raise… and deservedly so.

Agent: Mike Conley

2015/16 Earnings: $9,680,000

Career Earnings: $56,204,447
456393940.png
Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-1 / Team: Sacramento
11.7 ppg, 11.6 apg, 6.4 rpg

Signed a one-year deal in Sacramento with hopes of reviving his NBA career. He's doing just that, although it's not translating into many wins.

Agent: Bill Duffy

2015/16 Earnings: $9,500,000

Career Earnings: $70,282,884
456529764.jpg
Restricted / Point Guard / 6-4 / Team: LA Lakers
15.1 ppg, 3.8 rpg

Star potential or just a guy putting up nice numbers on a bad team?

Agent: Jeff Austin

2015/16 Earnings: $845,059

Career Earnings: $1,352,395
gettyimages-490893762.png
Player Option / Point Guard / 6-3 / Team: Dallas
14.2 ppg, 5.7 apg

Pressure is off for him with a more reasonable salary in Dallas. Can opt out of his deal with the Mavericks.

Agent: Jeff Schwartz

2015/16 Earnings: $18,659,398

Career Earnings: $120,717,750
usatsi_7465884.jpg
Unrestricted / Point Guard / 6-1 / Team: Detroit
7.1 ppg, 3.9 apg

Was playing the most efficient basketball of his career when he broke his left Achilles tendon. Has returned as a backup for Reggie Jackson and must prove he's fully recovered.

Agent: Jeff Schwartz

2015/16 Earnings: $8,344,497

Career Earnings: $34,172,853

Teague looks heads and shoulders above any of these guys other than Conley and Conley is likely to cost 2.5x what Teague will earn next season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Good luck Mr. Mack ... could we be opening a spot for a two for one trade maybe?

Think we'll sign somebody.

Also, on the Teague note, I think Teague or Dennis is a prime candidate to be traded on draft night (probably Teague).