• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Preview: Hawks at Cavaliers GAME 1

lethalweapon3

Per C-Viv:

Talked to players after their review of G1 - they failed  to execute down the stretch.

Millsap told him "we gotta earn our money."

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Well let me add that I don't think my father-in-law was letting Kyle off the hook.  Sounded like he wanted to state that Kyle's lack of productivity is as troublesome as Sap/Al's.

I don't think it's 'cause Kyle's white.  I think it's because people recognize he's a limited player so he shouldn't be as important to our success as he apparently is.  So it's like, Kyle is struggling but so what all he's supposed to do is hit open shots.  That shouldn't impede us from winning.

I don't know. It seems like Kyle can't lose minutes no matter how bad he plays. It's just insane. If feels like even Hoford or Sap is more likely to get pulled if they play bad.

Of course Korver is a limited player. But he is not consistently  providing us with the scoring/shooting threat that he used to. Yeah, the floor spacing argument seemed a lot better when Kyle was capable of scoring 20 points on any given night. But even on his best nights now he will rarely hits 20 points. Percentage wise Korver still shoots a solid percentage, but it seems like he has WAY more bad shooting performances now and too many performances where he only attempts a couple of shots and only scores 3 or 6 points.  That's just not going to do it when you're matched up with a team that has the three best offensive talents on the floor.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

I don't know. It seems like Kyle can't lose minutes no matter how bad he plays. It's just insane. If feels like even Hoford or Sap is more likely to get pulled if they play bad.

Of course Korver is a limited player. But he is not consistently  providing us with the scoring/shooting threat that he used to. Yeah, the floor spacing argument seemed a lot better when Kyle was capable of scoring 20 points on any given night. But even on his best nights now he will rarely hits 20 points. Percentage wise Korver still shoots a solid percentage, but it seems like he has WAY more bad shooting performances now and too many performances where he only attempts a couple of shots and only scores 3 or 6 points.  That's just not going to do it when you're matched up with a team that has the three best offensive talents on the floor.

Bear in mind he is also coming off surgery this season so a lot of us expected this to be a down year for him.  It doesn't just seem like he has had more bad performances - he really has.  

2015-16 v 2014-15

41 games of fewer than 10 points vs 26 games of fewer than 10 points -- (+15 games)

38 games of sub .400 FG% vs 17 games of sub .400 FG%  ------------------- (+21 games)

31 games of 6 FGA or less vs 25 games of 6 FGA or less ---------------------(+6 games)

6 games of >15 points vs 22 games of >15 points -----------------------------(+16 games)

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, AHF said:

Kyle can't do much when he is blanketed.  That is incredibly predictable and leaves three alternatives - (1) figure out some screen or other action to free him up; (2) generate defensive attention on some other people; and (3) pull him out of the game and try someone else.  The primary driver behind all 3 of those things is Bud.  That is why I put the responsibility more on Bud than on Kyle for Kyle's lack of production yesterday.   When I blame Kyle is when he has the shot opportunities but either passes on them or misses them.  That is what he controls on offense.

http://img.pandawhale.com/61223-James-Franco-thanks-man-gif-kaxG.gif

I don't want to be a debbie downer but if the Hawks blown out say win zero games or 1 wouldn't you think management should start breaking the team up. I think the current roster is as good as it will get. Tired of the excuses, injuries,players not playing up to their ability, low BBIQ. Also Bud doesn't seem to get it when players are not playing well he continues to play them. You got to put other players in and throw out the old style thinking Bud.

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, thescout5 said:

I don't want to be a debbie downer but if the Hawks blown out say win zero games or 1 wouldn't you think management should start breaking the team up. I think the current roster is as good as it will get. Tired of the excuses, injuries,players not playing up to their ability, low BBIQ. Also Bud doesn't seem to get it when players are not playing well he continues to play them. You got to put other players in and throw out the old style thinking Bud.

I think Bud would leave if the hawks started over

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

http://img.pandawhale.com/61223-James-Franco-thanks-man-gif-kaxG.gif

After 20 minutes of Korver being blanketed, you know exactly what you are getting from him for the next 15 minutes.  If you choose that over the bench, you own that choice.  Korver is not a creator or a volatile player.  None of our other 2015 ASs were creating space for him.  Very predictable result regardless of what Korver does.  He is an elite shooter but a limited system player.

32 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I think Bud would leave if the hawks started over

This seems to be a problem from the Falcons to the Hawks believing they are closer than they think. A few yrs ago Dimitroff said the Falcons had alot of talent well most people in the NFL don't see it that way. The Hawks are not as close to winning achampionship as they think also. Does management really want to win a championship or just make the playoffs and be satisfied with the revenue it generates? If Bud thinks he can twitch the team enough to beat the likes of the Warriors,Cavs or Spurs he's crazy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

After 20 minutes of Korver being blanketed, you know exactly what you are getting from him for the next 15 minutes.  If you choose that over the bench, you own that choice.  Korver is not a creator or a volatile player.  None of our other 2015 ASs were creating space for him.  Very predictable result regardless of what Korver does.  He is an elite shooter but a limited system player.

Is JR Smith a better shooter then Kyle now? It doesn't matter if he's open or not he's launching either way and hitting at a good clip. 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, JSmooooove said:

Is JR Smith a better shooter then Kyle now? It doesn't matter if he's open or not he's launching either way and hitting at a good clip. 

Smith is much better creating shots and much better of contested shots.  Kyle is much better where he has shots created within the offense.

So it is context dependent.  Ironically, I think both Atlanta and Cleveland would be better if they were flipped.  LeBron creates a lot of open jumpers that Korver would destroy.  Smith couldn't be blanketed and shut down like Korver.

11 hours ago, JSmooooove said:

JR will  shoot a contested shot, Kyle won't  shoot unless he is wide open.

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Kyle won't  shoot unless he is wide open.

I wouldn't go quite that far - he has nailed plenty of shots coming quickly off screens with a man flying at him but he needs sufficient space generated by the office.  I just wouldn't characterize that space as "wide open" because he does do more than that.  What he can't do is create that space on  his own.  If his man is blanketing him, he needs something within the offense to generate the room to fire.  He won't force it.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

You have to recognize that JR is also the far superior athlete.  Between his handle and vertical "contested" is a relative term as he does create spacing on his jumpers. 

We're on the same page.  He can make space for himself with his physical tools and dribbling ability whereas Kyle cannot.

Going into the series, Cleveland determined it would put all of its effort into limiting Kyle Korver’s touches on offense and play off of Schröder while doing so -- essentially daring the third-year guard to shoot.

In one sense, the plan worked to perfection. Korver, coming off a first round in which he averaged 3.3 made 3s per game, attempted just one shot in Game 1 and missed it. J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert received individual praise for their efforts in containing Korver within the team defense, and rightfully so.

Where things got uncomfortable for Irving was seeing Schröder, who shot just 3-for-16 from 3 (18.8 percent) in the first round against Boston, suddenly go 5-for-10 from downtown in Game 1.

“He’s like looking at me and he’s like, ‘Are we still going to keep going under (the screens) with Schröder?’” Lue said of Irving. “I was like, ‘Let’s give it one more try.’ Then we adjusted and I thought the guys did a great job of adjusting and we took care of the problem in the situation, and it’s a tribute to those guys.

“We came in with a game plan, Schröder made shots; it didn’t work so we had to adjust, and they did a great job of adjusting.”

The fact that Korver was held to just one attempt for the first time all season was understandably hard for Irving to celebrate when it appeared like he was being abused in his individual matchup with Schröder.

Twice during his postgame remarks, when asked about Schröder’s impact, Irving offered requisite respect but made sure to add that the way he guarded the Hawks’ floor general was a scripted part of the “game plan.

Bud better have his adjustments ready.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-cavaliers/post/_/id/2603/why-ty-lues-game-1-plan-pained-kyrie-irving-yet-helped-the-cavs

13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The Hawks need to go big when Millsap is assigned to Lebron @ Small forward

This, there's been hints that he may guard LeBron more but you can't do that with Bazemore on the court and this was put on showcase.

• Like 1