• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Bud

StephenHawking

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

I know what the plan was. To me 3 years is too long considering his age and us apparently not being in win now mode. 

The whole league is scratching their heads watching the Hawks FO do their thing. Nobody knows what they are up to. They don't know themselves I believe

The whole league?   You think Detroit, Bkn, Denver, Chicago, Sixers........on and on are sitting there going 'damn those hawks are a bunch of morons'   nah.   There saying 'why can't we turn a bunch of scrubs into a top 5 team in the east'?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The whole league?   You think Detroit, Bkn, Denver, Chicago, Sixers........on and on are sitting there going 'damn those hawks are a bunch of morons'   nah.   There saying 'why can't we turn a bunch of scrubs into a top 5 team in the east'?

Agree, by any metric - outsiders/general NBA fans will look at these other teams and see more talented players or players with the 'P' word (potential) when compared to the Hawks but they still aren't winning. That goes to coaching up these players.

vor 18 Minuten, JayBirdHawk sagte:

V.O.R. - Voice of Reason.  @Gray Mule.  Well said Gramps.

A big part of the Hawks problem is lack of locker room leadership from any one player.  No one voice to lead them from the players.  Sap is the best player but too quiet, he's the lead by example kind, Dwight- not following him anywhere, Baze - not good enough.  Thabo - nope.

Bud with his rotating captain game by game nonsense leaves a big leadership void.

Seems like Dennis and Dwight are past it - therefore, so am I.

Idk but that makes buds decision even worse imo. It wasn't even that big of a a deal at the end of the day for the players.

vor 8 Minuten, macdaddy sagte:

You should recognize an exaggeration when you see it.

8 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

Idk but that makes buds decision even worse imo. It wasn't even that big of a a deal at the end of the day for the players.

Ah our resident Euros out in full force today for some reason.

Anyways, Tim Legler said the benching wasn't so much for what happened on the court.  It was for Dennis' reaction to Budz after being taken out of the game.  It sounded like Dennis mouthed off rather than accepting that something stupid had just happened.  STTE

So IOW, although it may not have been a big deal for the players, it was a big deal for the coach.  And, again, we have no idea what is or isn't happening behind the scenes on this deal.  What we do know is Dennis' behavior has been a little short of that of a leader at this point.

I think it's just growing pains.  I don't think he's a guy who's used to having others look to him in a leadership role, i.e. what you do matters even when you think it doesn't.  Dennis appears to be getting a full dose of what it takes to be 'the man' as a starting pg.  He'll be ok I think and we'll look back on these moments as teaching points.

vor 1 Minute, kg01 sagte:

Ah our resident Euros out in full force today for some reason.

Anyways, Tim Legler said the benching wasn't so much for what happened on the court.  It was for Dennis' reaction to Budz after being taken out of the game.  It sounded like Dennis mouthed off rather than accepting that something stupid had just happened.  STTE

So IOW, although it may not have been a big deal for the players, it was a big deal for the coach.  And, again, we have no idea what is or isn't happening behind the scenes on this deal.  What we do know is Dennis' behavior has been a little short of that of a leader at this point.

I think it's just growing pains.  I don't think he's a guy who's used to having others look to him in a leadership role, i.e. what you do matters even when you think it doesn't.  Dennis appears to be getting a full dose of what it takes to be 'the man' as a starting pg.  He'll be ok I think and we'll look back on these moments as teaching points.

Hopefully.. but as I said it was the cherry on top for me. You know I'm a little sensitive staying up until 4am to watch that bullshii happen. This decision yesterday may really pan out to be a teaching point some time in the future. But it's the culmination of all his mistakes what makes me angry. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

Hopefully.. but as I said it was the cherry on top for me. You know I'm a little sensitive staying up until 4am to watch that bullshii happen. This decision yesterday may really pan out to be a teaching point some time in the future. But it's the culmination of all his mistakes what makes me angry. 

I'm guessing you have youth on your side.   I'm complaining about staying up until 10:30!

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

As for rotations, now that we have Calderon and Ersan, and being realistic about what Bud is willing to do i'd start Dennis/Tim/Thabo/Sap/Dwight and rotate in Calderon, Baze, Prince, and Ersan.   That's pretty much it.    If it was me i'd still see what Prince can bring as a starter.  Why not?  But that's not really a realistic move given what he's shown so far. 

Neil-Patrick-Harris1.gif

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, StephenHawking said:

Two questions:

Why give Howard a big long term deal when we're not in win now mode? That's as stupid as it gets. You have to go all the way then. 

Are you basing overachieving on expectations made of experts from the bigger media platforms? 

You should know they usually are going to hype up the teams with a big fanbase and let the teams with less fans slip under the table. Its their job to create clicks and generate hype. Therefore you'll always see the same teams expected to make big leaps and the same teams expected to fall in the rankings. 

Firstly, Howard's deal was not long term (three years) nor expensive (80 million, i.e. two more million than Joakim Noah). Also we WERE in win now mode when we signed Howard since we were expecting Al Horford to be back on the roster. Horford bolting for nothing is the biggest reason we have started a soft rebuilt this year.

As for the second question, I am basing it off of expectations from anybody that isn't a Hawks fan. Find me any non local outlet that rated our roster, after losing Teague and Horford, as a top four team in the East. Big leaps from Schro, Baze, THJR, plus solid play from our backup PG was the only way we would match last year's performance.

As it stands Baze and Delaney being amongst the worst players in their respective roles this year has been the biggest reason's we have been mediocre this year, moreso than any coaching blunder by Coach Bud. 

Not saying Coach Bud has been a coach of the year candidate, but the gameplan hasn't been the main reason we have struggled this year, lack of talent at key positions, and overall lack of consistant effort has been more to blame. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Firstly, Howard's deal was not long term (three years) nor expensive (80 million, i.e. two more million than Joakim Noah). Also we WERE in win now mode when we signed Howard since we were expecting Al Horford to be back on the roster. Horford bolting for nothing is the biggest reason we have started a soft rebuilt this year.

I'll admit that its pretty easy to forget that Bud wanted both Dwight and Al because its seems like ancient though very painful history. Anyway, very good point and it illustrates that this entire year has been a forced experiment for several reasons and we are ahead of where we were predicted to be record wise by just about anyone, me included.

As much as we've complained about Bud (and I've done my fair share) he still deserves credit for this top 5 defense. Take a look at what was written in the lastest NBA Power Rankings article/list via NBA.com:

The strengths of their top-five defense are forcing turnovers (they rank third in opponent turnover rate) and protecting the rim (allowing the fewest points in the restricted area per game) without fouling (they're fourth in opponent free throw rate).

This team can be better than what they've been this past season. Hopefully the playoffs will go better or at least be competitive...however I think the offense is so bad this season the defense stats no matter how good can also be thrown in the trash at a certain extent. This is why I'm always throwing out there that THJ SHOULD START...we need offense!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

It's going to have to be fixed in the offseason.   Thabo and Baze are bad on offense but also aren't defending the 3 well either.   So play somebody who at least does one of those things.   

Ersan is a big pickup and should be playing more.   The guy is smart and talented.   I don't know how many minutes we can get away with playing Sap at the 3 but Sap/Ersan/Dwight is tough.  Let's play the talent if we aren't playing the rooks.

This is something I noticed.... just in the backcourt... Last night we used Dennis,Delaney,and Hardaway at the 1,2,3 for a good 10 minutes in the 2nd half.... why can't we do that with our frontcourt? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

This is something I noticed.... just in the backcourt... Last night we used Dennis,Delaney,and Hardaway at the 1,2,3 for a good 10 minutes in the 2nd half.... why can't we do that with our frontcourt? 

Bud's too rigid in his thinking sometimes.

For all our whining, Budz is still considered one of the best coaches in the league.

Now that I've settled down a bit, I think we need to be careful what we wish for.  There's a LOT of dreg coaches out there.  Heck, half of 'em used to coach for us.  Shiiiii, who y'all wanna hire instead?

Schröder benched after heated exchanges with Howard, Budenholzer

In addition to the heated exchange between players, Schröder also had words with coach Mike Budenholzer following the play. Budenholzer then benched Schröder, who played just 3:19 of the second half, in the 119-111 loss.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JTB said:

As much as we've complained about Bud (and I've done my fair share) he still deserves credit for this top 5 defense. Take a look at what was written in the lastest NBA Power Rankings article/list via NBA.com:

The strengths of their top-five defense are forcing turnovers (they rank third in opponent turnover rate) and protecting the rim (allowing the fewest points in the restricted area per game) without fouling (they're fourth in opponent free throw rate).

This team can be better than what they've been this past season. Hopefully the playoffs will go better or at least be competitive...however I think the offense is so bad this season the defense stats no matter how good can also be thrown in the trash at a certain extent. This is why I'm always throwing out there that THJ SHOULD START...we need offense!

Teams are raining 3's on them on a nightly basis.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Everyone is looking at small samples.   Bud's track record as a coach is that his teams have overachieved every year.   There's no real denying that. 

I agree that continuing to play Baze and Thabo big minutes is a huge problem.   But the bigger problem is that there aren't any great alternatives.   I'm all for giving the rooks playing time but that's probably not going to change our current win total.  It would help for next year though.  

I blame Bud for not getting any shooters in the offseason and failing to address the wing issue at the deadline.   Calderon and Ersan are good pickups though.

As for Dennis.   He needs to get his head on straight.   Bud had no choice but to bench him.   There are no successful teams that let players slide on crap like this.   Bud is trying to teach him the right way to lead.   Oh, and Calderon didn't play because he hasn't even had one practice.  Let's give it a few days. 

Jordan Crawford dropped 19 pts without a single practice.  Practice is overrated.  If you can ball, you can ball without knowing the people around you.

• Like 2