• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ok Howard can officially lick ***

JTB

I'm done with Howard. I tried sticking up for him but he just don't understand he's best used differently now in this new NBA era. I believe he still has valuable talent as he'd be a better version of golden state warriors bogut but he's too bonehead much like josh smith to realize that.

anyways here's the article:

• Premium Member

Howard hopes to shut mouths after ‘mess’ of last few seasons

Chris Vivlamore

1:44 p.m Friday, Aug. 18, 2017 Atlanta Hawks

Hawks

ccompton@ajc.com/Curtis Compton Atlanta Hawks' Dwight Howard comes out of the game in the third quarter and did not return during a 115-99 loss to the Washington Wizards in Game 6 of a first-round NBA basketball playoff series on Friday, April 28, 2017, in Atlanta. Curtis Compton/ccompton@ajc.com

Dwight Howard referred to his last several NBA seasons as a “mess” several times in a recent interview.

That includes last year playing for his hometown Hawks.

Howard was traded to the Hornets earlier this summer. In praise of a reunion with Hornets coach Steve Clifford, who was an assistant with the Magic when Howard entered the NBA as the No. 1 overall pick and had his best seasons, Howard said he expects to get pushed by his coach and be used properly.

Dwight Howard thanks Atlanta teammates

“Cliff's going to push me, but he’s not going to ever be one of those guys who I would say would break my spirit,” Howard told ESPN in an article posted Friday. “He really believes in me. Throughout all the mess that has happened the last couple of years, this is a great opportunity for me to prove to myself that I know exactly who I am - to just shut people’s mouths.”

ADVERTISING

Later in the interview, Howard spoke of his motivation after five seasons with the Lakers, Rockets and Hawks following his first eight seasons with the Magic.

Dwight Howard's first press conference as a Charlotte Hornet. (Video by Steve Hummer/AJC)

“Throughout all the mess that has happened the last couple of years, this is a great opportunity for me to prove myself that I know exactly who I am – to just shut people’s mouths”

The Hawks signed Howard to a three-year, $70.5 million contract to return home. He was to be a major inside option for the team in addition to his defense and rebounding. However by the end of the season, Howard was not on the floor in the fourth quarter of several games – including two of the Hawks’ first-round playoff series loss to the Wizards.

New Hawks general manger Travis Schlenk, in his first move, traded Howard to the Hornets for Miles Plumlee and Marco Belinelli. The teams also swapped 2017 second-round draft picks.

“The other places I was, the coaches didn’t really know who I am,” Howard told ESPN. “I think that they had perception of me and ran with it. Cliff knows my game. He knows all the things that I can do. I’m very determined to get back to the top. It’s a great feeling when somebody believes in you. They aren’t saying it; they believe it. It really just pushed me to the limit in workouts: running, training, everything. I want to do more.

“In Orlando, I was getting 13-15 shots a game. Last season, in Atlanta, it was six shot attempts. It looks like I’m not involved in the game. And if I miss a shot, it sticks out because I am not getting very many of them. But I think it’s all opportunity, the system. I haven’t had a system where I can be who I am since I was in Orlando.”

There was plenty of hope when Howard joined the Hawks last summer. He was tearful when discussing what it meant to return home with a chance to resurrect his career. Howard did have a solid season statistically. He played in 74 games, not affected by a back injury that nagged him in previous seasons. He averaged 13.5 points and 12.7 rebounds per game.

Howard was clearly not happy with his role following the Hawks’ playoff loss. He measured his words when discussing his disappointment about not playing late in games, including the entire fourth quarter of the series-clinching loss.

Related

Howard hopes to shut mouths after ‘mess’ of last few seasons

Howard named Hawks’ Best Teammate in Players Voice Awards

Cordinier to return to Europe next season

Hawks will play Mavericks in preseason

Hawks land jersey sponsorship deal with Sharecare

Howard reflected more on his role and the way he was used with the Hawks in the interview with ESPN.

“Teams wanted me to do different things than they promised me when I went to choose them,” Howard told ESPN. “In Atlanta, I was going to be involved in the offense. Then, toward the end of the season, it turned into, ‘Hey, we just got you for defense and rebounds.’ …

“It stung me how I started the season, getting a lot of shot attempts, getting the ball – and by the end of the season, in the fourth I was sitting on the bench. It pissed me off. I knew that I had more to give the game, give myself and the team.”

• Like 2

All he and Josh have shown is when you have a similar basketball apprenticeship (AAU, lowest-level high school competition, no college) you probably will never have a viable philosophy on basketball.  I feel sorry for Steve Clifford.  A year from now his eyebrows are gonna turn gray and get thinner.  Jordan failing miserably as an owner is a running gag so no sympathy there.  Can't  wait until the Hawks PNR him to death and Dedmon holds him under double digits easily.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

I think Howard will be reasonably productive in Charlotte but if he had committed to setting screens and rolling to the basket he could have worked out here as well.  As long as he isn't willing to guard or participate in the PNR and just wants to post up and grab rebounds, he is going to have a limited role and limited impact.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think Howard will be reasonably productive in Charlotte but if he had committed to setting screens and rolling to the basket he could have worked out here as well.  As long as he isn't willing to guard or participate in the PNR and just wants to post up and grab rebounds, he is going to have a limited role and limited impact.

Schröder would never pass the ball to him anyway.  No real reason for him to even try.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Flight said:

https://twitter.com/thenbpa/status/898579011235794947

I assume the rest of the Hawks players didn't get the memo on him being cancerous to the locker room? Lol

Yea I seem to recall Bembry and/or Prince (or some other Young guy) saying something about him really taking a lot of time to work with them on moves and getting up to nba speed. Very little evidence of him being a cancer this past season, and he has some legitimate gripes about how he was used.

• Like 4

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Only in Hawkland would 13 pts - 13 rebs a game from a center, not be enough to satisfy the masses.  

More to the point, it didn't satisfy the coach who benched him in the 4th quarter of the playoffs.  Howard did about what I expect of him but didn't do all that I had hoped from him given that he is a mediocre postup scorer but an elite roll man (and that he should be an elite screener).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AHF said:

More to the point, it didn't satisfy the coach who benched him in the 4th quarter of the playoffs.  Howard did about what I expect of him but didn't do all that I had hoped from him given that he is a mediocre postup scorer but an elite roll man (and that he should be an elite screener).

And that's why I would give Bud a C- for the way he managed this team this season.  Even his attempts to reign in Dennis backfired.  Refused to give the kids the PT they needed.  Rode with Baze, despite him playing horribly.  Stuck with Delaney, despite him only being able to make a 18 foot jumper ( low percentage of 3s and barely got to the rim and shot a low percentage there too ).  And horribly mismanaged Dwight in that playoff series.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kurupt said:

Howard had the most post-touches in the whole league, mate.

On the interview: I mean, the guy apparently has to lie to himself to keep living in his bubble. He averaged 8.5 shots a game last season in Atlanta (not 6) in 29.7 mpg. He averaged 12.7 shots per game in his last 4 seasons in Orlando in 36.7 mpg. Adjusted for playing time (per36) he had 10 shots per game in ATL and 12.1 in ORL. Plus maybe 1 shot per game more in ORL due to more FTA.

So yeah, he a few less shots. He still was the most used post-game Center/PF in the league and was inefficient at doing so (compared to playing more P&R). But he'll never learn. I am excited to see his 3rd (or 4th?) "rebirth"!

In a league void of decent post up big men, Dwight still didn't get enough touches.  8 touches is nothing, to be honest. Especially when, as a team, the Hawks were 23rd in the league in 3 point shooting FG% at 34%.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Especially when, as a team, the Hawks were 23rd in the league in 3 point shooting FG% at 34%.

One could argue that Howard's presence played a role in that poor shooting from the perimeter.

vor 2 Stunden, TheNorthCydeRises sagte:

In a league void of decent post up big men, Dwight still didn't get enough touches.  8 touches is nothing, to be honest. Especially when, as a team, the Hawks were 23rd in the league in 3 point shooting FG% at 34%.

Here is the thing: I don't want to have to post the numbers that show that Howard was wildy inefficient on those plays compared to P&R plays for the 5th or 6th time on this forum.

Believe what you want to believe, that doesn't make it right/true/reality.

Edited by kurupt
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He arguably had the best offensive season at center than any Hawk since Kevin Willis.

Huh? Horford had several better offensive seasons. Howard had a high FG% thanks to alley-oops and putbacks, but he couldn't be relied on to do anything else on offense. He couldn't even set solid screens.

• Like 4