• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Search and Interviews

marco102

• Admin
26 minutes ago, kg01 said:

missed the joke

You have to forgive me, I'm new here.

On topic, I'm also glad Larranaga's still available if for no other reason than it means we get our choice rather than simply taking who's left then acting like he was our 1st pick.

After reading a bit on Lloyd, I'd be cool with him too.  Although the 6ers are being out-executed (not necessarily out-coached, shout out @MaceCase), Pierce has a good rep as a player devel. guy.

A con a read on Larranaga was the fact that it's quite possible the success they have is system-related and it's tied more to Stevens than the assistants.  Just food for thought.  I still like the guy.

'New here' ;)

No prob with Pierce either ... he looks to be a solid option too ... only problem with him is that he shares the same last name as Paula

As for Larranaga ... I love the fact that he is under Steven's system.  I hate the Celtics but love Brad Stevens.  That dude can coach.  You can say the same thing about the coaches that come from Pop's pool ... they are wanted for bringing the Spurs 'system'.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Wait.  Just so I’m straight on this.  It is a negative if a coach wants to actually win games?

If he prioritizes wins over development?  Then yes.  Great generals win wars not battles.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Well, I’m certainly not going to be shepherded into thinking that every move they make will work out particularly when I absolutely hate the direction this GM chose to go in to build this team.  

There is another long and developed thread for taking about the direction of the team.  Let's focus on the coaching candidates here please.

• Like 3

It’s naive to think that a coaching search can be talked about without commenting on how the direction that was chosen has impacted that coaching search.  

I know you pro tankers don’t want to hear it, but it is a fact.  

54 minutes ago, AHF said:

Not permitting recycling of posts in here.  If a candidate or media report focuses on this feel free to discuss it but we are not hijacking this thread to say the same things already said 110x in the tank thread.  If you want to share your view that rebuilding means automatic failure for the team, its coaches and players you know where to post that and it isn't this thread.

KB is gonna KB. I just ignore him when he gets on a tangent. Hes the new Diesel

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kg01 said:

You have to forgive me, I'm new here.

On topic, I'm also glad Larranaga's still available if for no other reason than it means we get our choice rather than simply taking who's left then acting like he was our 1st pick.

After reading a bit on Lloyd, I'd be cool with him too.  Although the 6ers are being out-executed (not necessarily out-coached, shout out @MaceCase), Pierce has a good rep as a player devel. guy.

A con a read on Larranaga was the fact that it's quite possible the success they have is system-related and it's tied more to Stevens than the assistants.  Just food for thought.  I still like the guy.

I like both coaches but worry about that last part as well. Should be a intresting week the rest of the way. I m leaning towards Pierce as he’s been around three different styles. So maybe he picked some things up. 

Edited by Royjr9

13 hours ago, NBASupes said:

KB is gonna KB. I just ignore him when he gets on a tangent. Hes the new Diesel

Diesel would create 10 new threads to talk about a topic; not so much hijack others. KB's topics are old news and boring; so it is better for him to just hijack busy ones.

Back on topic; I want to hear of an announcement soon but worry it may not happen with the playoffs still going on for GSW and Boston.

• Like 3

• Admin

...of the four candidates ... I am least interested in Stephen Silas ... the other three sound intriguing ... I want our coach that is coming from a system that has shown development and success.

Any word on when the coach might be chosen?

1 minute ago, AHF said:

We are done talking KB on this thread.  Get back to the topic ala capstone's latest post.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Back on topic, I think Larranaga should be the top choice. He has been coaching with the best young coach in basketball for the past few years, and he had to have learned a lot from his father who has also been a great coach for a long time. I like the potential there. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

from MC this past Sunday (me with the bolding):

Schlenk said he was scheduled to meet with Hawks principal owner Tony Ressler on Saturday to go over the candidates. Schlenk said a new coach could be in place by the end of next week

“We need Tony to be comfortable with (the final candidates), so there will be a stage where Tony meets some folks,” Schlenk said. “We feel good about the group. I think there are a lot of good choices.” 

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-conclude-coach-interviews-with-sixers-assistant-pierce/L5veZoqENQDmj5BQUgpOVI/

~lw3

1 minute ago, AHF said:

We are done talking KB on this thread.  Get back to the topic ala capstone's latest post.

Heeey!  I didn't even ... ohhhh, you said ... nevermind.

C'mon, you laughed. :cool:

9 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

...of the four candidates ... I am least interested in Stephen Silas ... the other three sound intriguing ... I want our coach that is coming from a system that has shown development and success.

My guy Frank Isola said this morning that a fresh rumor out is that Carlisle is eyeing the Bucks job.  Scalabrine said he'd been hearing the same.  That could eggsplain why MIL hasn't made a move yet despite Buttenholzer's supposed interest in the job.  It was also briefly mentioned that Stotts may not be totally safe either.

On top of that, it's smelling like Casey isn't a sure thing to return to TOR.

Not that we're waiting to possibly hire Casey or anything, but IOW there are probably still a couple dominos that haven't fallen yet.

• Admin
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Heeey!  I didn't even ... ohhhh, you said ... nevermind.

C'mon, you laughed. :cool:

My guy Frank Isola said this morning that a fresh rumor out is that Carlisle is eyeing the Bucks job.  Scalabrine said he'd been hearing the same.  That could eggsplain why MIL hasn't made a move yet despite Buttenholzer's supposed interest in the job.  It was also briefly mentioned that Stotts may not be totally safe either.

On top of that, it's smelling like Casey isn't a sure thing to return to TOR.

Not that we're waiting to possibly hire Casey or anything, but IOW there are probably still a couple dominos that haven't fallen yet.

Wow, Bud might lose out on the Mil job ... with the young talent there that would suck to miss out on ... with his coaching, the team getting some playoff seasoning (which they just got) and the addition of a solid rebounder the Bucks would be dangerous

• Moderators

If carlisle goes to the Bucks then maybe Bud goes to Dallas.  Bud helped coach Duncan through his twilight years, he can do that with Dirk and Dallas has some talent.   We know Cuban wants to win.  He doesn't want to tank multi years in a row.   

• Admin
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

If carlisle goes to the Bucks then maybe Bud goes to Dallas.  Bud helped coach Duncan through his twilight years, he can do that with Dirk and Dallas has some talent.   We know Cuban wants to win.  He doesn't want to tank multi years in a row.   

Dallas is not much different then Atlanta ... they are basically rebuilding ... I am sure Bud wants to go to a situation where the team has a chance to have some success.  Toronto would be interesting if Casey is fired and the Bucks job is lost to Jim Carrey ...