• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young - The Man, The Viper, and The Prosecution aka The MVP aka Ice Trae

NBASupes

• Premium Member

To be honest, there’s so many things going on in this world, for me, basketball right now is probably the last thing on my mind,” Young said. “The first thing on my mind is the health of people. For me I haven’t really thought too much about when we’re going to get back playing, how many games I would want to play, things like that. For me it’s all about figuring out a cure for this thing and for us to be able to be around our fans and things like that without having to worry about a high-five or dap to a little kid. That’s the main thing I’m thinking about is the health and safety for everybody in this world right now.” 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Missed this earlier from Schlenk's latest:

What was interesting during this talk with Schlenk is he admitted that he didn’t foresee Young’s massive production rise from Year 1 to Year 2 happening, which could explain why Schlenk didn’t fill the roster with better complementary pieces. He wants Young to continue getting better with his decision-making, limiting turnovers and working off the ball more because he’s one of the best catch-and-shoot 3-point shooters in the league. Young shot an absurd 46.6 percent on catch-and-shoot 3s this season, but only 8.6 percent of all his attempts came off the catch. That number needs to increase to help Young’s overall efficiency. He didn’t mention Young’s defense but did mention that the Hawks “obviously” need to improve on that end of the floor. Some of that is certainly personnel based, and some of that is just natural internal growth, but it’s clearly an issue that needs to be addressed moving forward.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

He wants Young to continue getting better with his decision-making, limiting turnovers and working off the ball more because he’s one of the best catch-and-shoot 3-point shooters in the league.

It would help if the team ran plays designed to get Trae open catch and shoot looks.  LP needs to watch film of Bud/Korver plays from 2014-15

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Atlanta posted a respectable 111.4 offensive rating with Young on the floor, but fell off a cliff when he went to the bench. While that was partly a product of a poorly-constructed roster, it also reflected the Hawks’ dependence on Young, who was the focal point of every opponent’s defensive gameplan, drew near-constant traps, and had few other offensive weapons around him.

And yet, he still had one of the best individual offensive seasons in the NBA. Young never looked sped up or uncomfortable, no matter what kind of defense he worked against. He manipulated opponents into doing what he wanted, rather than the other way around, and nearly always seemed sure of how a defense would react to his every move. That heightened level of control allowed Young to innovate and experiment, turning ostentatious moves into practical ones:

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Partnow:

That bit of hateration aside, it’s important to remember all of that analysis includes a huge “yet.” He just finished (assuming we’re done for 19-20) his second season without a ton of help around him, so he hasn’t done those things yet. But he does have to improve considerably to be that proverbial “best player on a contender.”

The big one that people tend to harp on is the defense.....on the flip side, the Hawks’ offense is abysmal with him off the floor.......This is to a degree an indictment of the talent around him as well as the lack of other creative options on the roster....

Will he progress to that level? I don’t know. I haven’t seen much evidence that he knows how to be an effective off-ball player, and from a purely physical standpoint, he can’t impose himself quite the same as the league’s other heliocentric players.

• Premium Member

The big one that people tend to harp on is the defense.....on the flip side, the Hawks’ offense is abysmal with him off the floor.......This is to a degree an indictment of the talent around him as well as the lack of other creative options on the roster..

Correction! Pierce's offense is abysmal with him off the floor!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

The big one that people tend to harp on is the defense.....on the flip side, the Hawks’ offense is abysmal with him off the floor.......This is to a degree an indictment of the talent around him as well as the lack of other creative options on the roster..

Correction! Pierce's offense is abysmal with him off the floor!

Our players are too limited to have been good this season without Trae on the floor and that was exacerbated by JC's absence.  

2019:

Evan Turner

Kevin Huerter / Cam Reddish

Deandre Hunter

Jabari Parker

Alex Len

That is an absolute garbage offense in any system.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I didn’t learn anything.  Canceling my free trial now lol.

His opinion is okay. Not great just okay. I don't agree or disagree with Trae Young. Trae has a lot of improvement left in him but he has to do it. Same for the others. I think he is spot on with John Collins in my opinion. Aaron Gordon is really someone that I see being favorable to Collins when it comes to winning.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

His opinion is okay. Not great just okay. I don't agree or disagree with Trae Young. Trae has a lot of improvement left in him but he has to do it. Same for the others. I think he is spot on with John Collins in my opinion. Aaron Gordon is really someone that I see being favorable to Collins when it comes to winning.

I have a strong preference for JC over Gordon.  I think people would be very disappointed with that exchange if we flipped them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I'm just a little happier... just a little... to find that this non-scientific online poll suggests that Trae's commanding some slightly higher level respect than I woulda thought. It's meaningless, really, but interesting, and better than the other way around.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Supes, you should start a blog so your opinions get some tweet promotion.

It appears to make your opinion matter more. To some.

giphy.gif

Heck, what am I talking about... we all  can do that, right? 😄

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I have a strong preference for JC over Gordon.  I think people would be very disappointed with that exchange if we flipped them.

Yes, both for current and projected talent reasons, and in the near term, for contract reasons.

Gordon costs more next season, and though he's probably going to cost less than JC for 2021-22, that Schlenk gets to control whether he prefers to go into that free agency market having already extended JC or if he prefers JC's cap hold (and RFA status) is a better situation.

• Like 1