Trae Young - The Man, The Viper, and The Prosecution aka The MVP aka Ice Trae

NBASupes

1 hour ago, enrique said:

With the increasing defensive effort I have seen from him in the last two games, I will predict 🧊 Trae is incredibly sick of hearing the comments and will find a way to even start silencing those critics. 

Yes indeed.  We know superstars add a piece to their games each offseason. This offseason for Trae:

Defense! Let’s get it!

• Like 3

Just for fun checked on some of Trae's rookie card values. One on eBay is for $2199.00 at the moment. Yeah that is ridiculous for now but....think he must be bringing the rest of the world with him to each game by now. And it didn't take him twenty years to get there.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-213727-13078-0/2?mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2Flike%2F233415015193&itemid=233415015193&targetid=4580840327039647&device=c&adtype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=301076556&adgroupid=1235851265215130&rlsatarget=pla-4580840327039647&abcId=1129776&merchantid=51291&query=Trae Young basketball card&msclkid=04ca3d1e88da1ada80e6634466c13dcd

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Thomas said:

Anytime you join Oscar's name in the conversation you are destined for HOF. 

I think it was not a month ago he tied another big O record 😆 Seriously almost nightly. @Thomas if this is a dream don’t wake me up. Last time I said these words were January of 2015... great month. 😉 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, terrell said:

LBJ just now after the game:

"This league is in good hands with guys like Zion, Luka Doncic, Jayson Taytum, and TRAE YOUNG"....

Actually it was "Ja, Zion, Luka Doncic, Jayson Tatum, and Trae Young"

Edited by terrell
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I think it was not a month ago he tied another big O record 😆 Seriously almost nightly. @Thomas if this is a dream don’t wake me up. Last time I said these words were January of 2015... great month. 😉 

This one is from November. Pretty ridiculously great achievement by Trae. Like you said though, he gets a record almost nightly now. Every 20 and 10 game for the rest of this season will be a new record. Trae turns 22 in September.

Trae Young joins Oscar Robertson as the only players with 2,000 points, 800 assists in their first 100 games.

https://clutchpoints.com/hawks-news-trae-young-joins-oscar-robertson-as-only-players-with-2000-points-800-assists-in-first-100-games/

• Like 3

11 hours ago, enrique said:

And Trae just crossed the threshold of a 2:1 Assist to Turnover ratio for the first time this season. That is a huge marker that also helps our Hawks avoid the horrific transition defense. While he is still throwing a few passes each game that are turning into turnovers, in general the past month he has been one of the best at cranking out high efficiency assists!!! 

It’s crazy to think he could ever be lower than a 2:1 at any point, regardless of teammates.  I fear he may never get to the Holy Grail of 3:1.  The high usage guys who do (Point God, Brogdon, Van Fleet AND Lowry, Smart) are simply much stronger with the ball and protect it with their chests.  Nash is an outlier, hopefully it just comes naturally with experience and the continued improvement of the wings.  Alice Horford is at 3.9 goddamn.

Lebron actually named those players twice (including Trae), on the floor and the locker room.  I’m sure he has a theater, I can see him playing clips of Trae’s passes eating popcorn and going ballistic.  

I actually think Trae’s passing was better last season: relative to his size I’d never seen better.  More overhead and cross court passes that didn’t lead to assists but were super high level and possession-advancing.  His hallmark and his most impressive IMO is the behind the back bounce across the floor out of the double team: I haven’t seen it as much as last season.  He’s fallen a bit, timing, touch, and vision still elite.  He’s gotta develop some semblance of an off ball game so he can also be a tertiary passer.  We’d score 100% of the time if he has the ball against a scrambling defense.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 4

On 2/29/2020 at 10:46 AM, Spud2nique said:

Yes indeed.  We know superstars add a piece to their games each offseason. This offseason for Trae:

Defense! Let’s get it!

It appears that with his increased effort on defense, his 3 point shooting has taken a plunge. 

• Sad 2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

It appears that with his increased effort on defense, his 3 point shooting has taken a plunge. 

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that this is cause and effect.  His shooting has always gone through some hot and cold spurts.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28822418/the-problems-trae-young-signature-plays

That gargantuan on/off differential demonstrates how potent Young's offense can be. When he's on the court he has the power to transform a hideous offense into an average one. Imagine if he had better teammates. But Young is not blameless here. The Hawks' defense is their biggest problem, and Young is a major component of that issue.

Looking at the data, the best two offenses in the NBA are the Dallas Mavericks and whichever team is playing against Young and the Hawks. Doncic and the Mavs lead the NBA by scoring 116.1 points per 100 possessions. When Young is on the court, Hawks opponents are also pouring in 116.1 per 100. Oof.

And just as Atlanta's offensive on/off numbers reveal how important Young is on that end of the floor, the team's defensive numbers have an opposite plotline. With Young on the bench, the Hawks' defensive rating is 106.8, which would rank just below the Clippers for sixth best in the NBA.

Look I love Trae, but if he doesn't get it together I fear we will have another Nique type career on hand.

• Like 2