• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young - The Man, The Viper, and The Prosecution aka The MVP aka Ice Trae

NBASupes

4 minutes ago, shakes said:

huh, I don't see the share button anywhere when I go to post.   When i try and post a link I go to twiitter, copy the link and then paste it here.  Where is the share button?   I post down at the bottom of the thread and there's no share button there.

I don't do all that fancy stuff.  I just literally copy/paste the url into the message and it usually works.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, shakes said:

huh, I don't see the share button anywhere when I go to post.   When i try and post a link I go to twiitter, copy the link and then paste it here.  Where is the share button?   I post down at the bottom of the thread and there's no share button there.

on the twitter feed

image.png

image.png

• Like 4

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, marco102 said:

And some still say he isn't the 2nd best point guard in the game right now.  If he keeps this up and our overall record is top 4, he will be challenging Steph for the best. 

Off to realgm to troll.  

#talksoon

I know it's blasphemy in here but imo CP3 has a pretty solid argument for #2 right now.  He's leading that Suns team to a really nice record.  He plays solid defense and scores efficiently.  He also has 10 assists per game on very low usage.  The guy creates a ton of points every time he touches the ball.  I think if trae continues on his current trajectory he will be undeniable #2 but I don't think he's there yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I know it's blasphemy in here but imo CP3 has a pretty solid argument for #2 right now.  He's leading that Suns team to a really nice record.  He plays solid defense and scores efficiently.  He also has 10 assists per game on very low usage.  The guy creates a ton of points every time he touches the ball.  I think if trae continues on his current trajectory he will be undeniable #2 but I don't think he's there yet.

Not blasphemy, but Trae has the highest potential assists at 16.8 per game and when you consider the scoring he blows cp3 away this season. 

Not talking career achievements, but this season Trae has been far and away the better point guard when comparing him to CP3. He is second in points per game and 2nd in assists when discussing point guards.

49 minutes ago, marco102 said:

And some still say he isn't the 2nd best point guard in the game right now.  If he keeps this up and our overall record is top 4, he will be challenging Steph for the best. 

Off to realgm to troll.  

#talksoon

I don't even consider Steph a PG. if he was 1 inch taller he would be considered a unanimous SG. 

He has played true point guard for only a handful of seasons and most of them came under Mark Jackson and Don Nelson.

Steph became an elite MVP, future hall of famer when Steve Kerr moved him off of the ball. The things that make him special have nothing to so with playing the point. Not to mention, Draymond is their leading assist player during the Kerr era. 

I got blasted for pointing this out on social media. Doesn't take anything away from his greatness. I just cannot put him in the same positional category of guys like Magic, Zeke, Nash, Stockton, Kidd, and CP3. 

• Like 4

Trae Young and the Atlanta Hawks: Pick and Roll Maestros

After finishing last season just two wins shy of an NBA Finals berth, the Atlanta Hawks entered 2021-22 with some of the highest expectations in the league. While their appeared to be some cause for concern following a disappointing 4-9 start, they quickly found a rhythm rattling off a 7-game win streak and now have a record of 11-10. The formula for Atlanta’s high-powered offense has been the same for years: get the ball in superstar Trae Young’s hands, set him a ball screen and watch him go to work.

It’s no secret what the Hawks want to do on that end of the floor, but the frequency and effectiveness of that blueprint is still staggering. So far this season, Trae Young pick and rolls have led to 609 Atlanta points, over 100 more than any other player in the league. The efficiency matches the volume too as the resulting 1.12 point per-possession ranks in the top-10 among the 122 players who have initiated at least 50 pick and rolls this season.

Stopping a Trae Young pick and roll is such a nightmare when he gets into a groove with how much stress his range and creativity can put on a defense. If the defender goes under the screen, he is lights-out off the bounce—scoring 1.21 points per-possession when they do. If the defender drops, Young has mastered the floater, where his 65 total points leads the NBA. And if the defender contests the runner, he can get all the way to the rim and finish creatively or draw a foul.

When his scoring opportunities aren’t there, Young is able to show off his elite facilitating. Whether it’s by hitting open spot up shooters for three, dumping off to cutters, or tossing lobs to the roll man, his distributing out of the pick and roll has created 303 points for his teammates this season.

Making-the-Right-Reads.png

It hasn’t just been Young who has excelled in his role in this pick and roll-dominated offense. Forward John Collins and center Clint Capela have grown into two of the league’s best roll men. Collins is scoring an NBA-best 1.59 points per-possession as the roll man while Capela, at 1.27 points per-possession, isn’t far behind. The combinations of Young-Collins and Young-Capela have been particularly unstoppable when the action moves towards the basket. The chemistry developed between both tandems leads to a handful of perfectly timed dump-offs and alley-oops that leave defenses without answers every night. Both combinations rank in the top 3 in total points scored and points per-possession when rolling to the rim. The combination of Young and Collins scores 1.65 points per-possession, making them the most efficient pair in the league.

Picture-Me-Rollin.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Why isn’t Trae being discussed for MVP of the league? It’s mind boggling.

320C28AB-1F42-4C62-B307-F3C33AE65686.jpeg

E41A0D1D-00F1-4063-8A4C-63744881472E.jpeg

It's really simple.  We're tied for 6th place right now.   When Hawks get up into top 4 seed territory he will start getting some MVP buzz.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, shakes said:

It's really simple.  We're tied for 6th place right now.   When Hawks get up into top 4 seed territory he will start getting some MVP buzz.

Bet he won’t! They (the media) will just use another narrative to explain why he isn’t the MVP. 

This same thing was going on for Luka last year and they wanted to crown 👑 him at the start.

Some bias 💩 goin on.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, shakes said:

Having October be part of it is the reason Trae lost.  If it was just November he had a much better chance.

No, if you look at Durant's November compared to Trae's he scored more points per game and was more efficient.  

Now the argument can be made Trae played more games, but still Durant's November was better than Trae's numbers wise.  I did a quick analysis at the end of November and figured Durant would win. 

58 minutes ago, shakes said:

You're absolutely right ... in theory.  But I'm sure I recall a certain player getting touted as a likely mvp regardless of his team's standing.  The explanation was that his supporting cast was so bad so the team record should be ignored.  Comical the hoops eggsperts go through to make their opinion turn into fact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Welcome back to NBA Star Power Index: A weekly gauge of the players creating the most buzz around the league. Inclusion on this list isn't necessarily a good thing. It just means you're capturing the NBA world's attention. This is also not a ranking. The players listed are in no particular order as it pertains to the buzz they're generating. This column runs every Wednesday throughout the regular season. 

headshot-image
team logo
Trae Young
ATL • PG • 11
PPG26
APG9
APG3.6
SPG.86
3P/G2.667
View Profile

Trae Young has crested the 30-point mark in five straight outings and eight of his last 13, and the Atlanta Hawks, after a seven-game losing streak, have won eight of their last nine. Over his last 13 games, Young is averaging 29 points and nine assists on 51/45/88 shooting splits. He's up to 41 percent from 3 for the season, per Cleaning The Glass, which by far would rank as a career high if sustained. 

Move to the midrange, and the numbers gets even more impressive, and this is a true development in Young's game. Entering play on Wednesday, Young was cashing 55 percent of his almost five shots per game between 10 and 19 feet, per NBA.com. Counting Young's 33-point box score in the Hawks' win over Indiana on Wednesday, he's up to 56.8 percent on all his midrange shots, which registers as the second-best mark in the league -- just ahead of Kevin Durant and a three-percent uptick on Chris Paul -- among all players logging at least four such attempts per game, trailing only LaMarcus Aldridge. 

Young's midrange prowess has, through the early stage of his career, been largely a product of his elite floater; he's never been a conventional 15-foot pull-up guy. But that's changing more this season. 

Entering Wednesday, Young was taking a career-high 17 percent of his shots from the long midrange (between 14-plus feet and the 3-point line), per CTG, and making them at an elite 53 percent clip, (another career high by an appreciable margin) -- settling into the soft spot as ball defenders chase over the top of screens and bigs retreat to protect against his floater. 

You'll notice all those shots are off the dribble, where Young ranks in the 95th percentile, per Synergy. The league's fifth-leading scorer and third-leading assist man, Young's All-NBA level production has reached the realm of inevitability. Now if only the Hawks can find a consistent way to cover for him defensively. Clint Capela returning to his elite rim-protecting form is the easiest answer.

Good read until that second to last sentence.  They can't resist taking shots at him. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 4