• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young - The Man, The Viper, and The Prosecution aka The MVP aka Ice Trae

NBASupes

Trae Young and the Atlanta Hawks: Pick and Roll Maestros

After finishing last season just two wins shy of an NBA Finals berth, the Atlanta Hawks entered 2021-22 with some of the highest expectations in the league. While their appeared to be some cause for concern following a disappointing 4-9 start, they quickly found a rhythm rattling off a 7-game win streak and now have a record of 11-10. The formula for Atlanta’s high-powered offense has been the same for years: get the ball in superstar Trae Young’s hands, set him a ball screen and watch him go to work.

It’s no secret what the Hawks want to do on that end of the floor, but the frequency and effectiveness of that blueprint is still staggering. So far this season, Trae Young pick and rolls have led to 609 Atlanta points, over 100 more than any other player in the league. The efficiency matches the volume too as the resulting 1.12 point per-possession ranks in the top-10 among the 122 players who have initiated at least 50 pick and rolls this season.

Stopping a Trae Young pick and roll is such a nightmare when he gets into a groove with how much stress his range and creativity can put on a defense. If the defender goes under the screen, he is lights-out off the bounce—scoring 1.21 points per-possession when they do. If the defender drops, Young has mastered the floater, where his 65 total points leads the NBA. And if the defender contests the runner, he can get all the way to the rim and finish creatively or draw a foul.

When his scoring opportunities aren’t there, Young is able to show off his elite facilitating. Whether it’s by hitting open spot up shooters for three, dumping off to cutters, or tossing lobs to the roll man, his distributing out of the pick and roll has created 303 points for his teammates this season.

Making-the-Right-Reads.png

It hasn’t just been Young who has excelled in his role in this pick and roll-dominated offense. Forward John Collins and center Clint Capela have grown into two of the league’s best roll men. Collins is scoring an NBA-best 1.59 points per-possession as the roll man while Capela, at 1.27 points per-possession, isn’t far behind. The combinations of Young-Collins and Young-Capela have been particularly unstoppable when the action moves towards the basket. The chemistry developed between both tandems leads to a handful of perfectly timed dump-offs and alley-oops that leave defenses without answers every night. Both combinations rank in the top 3 in total points scored and points per-possession when rolling to the rim. The combination of Young and Collins scores 1.65 points per-possession, making them the most efficient pair in the league.

Picture-Me-Rollin.jpg

On 12/2/2021 at 2:58 PM, RedDawg#8 said:

I don't even consider Steph a PG. if he was 1 inch taller he would be considered a unanimous SG. 

He has played true point guard for only a handful of seasons and most of them came under Mark Jackson and Don Nelson.

Steph became an elite MVP, future hall of famer when Steve Kerr moved him off of the ball. The things that make him special have nothing to so with playing the point. Not to mention, Draymond is their leading assist player during the Kerr era. 

I got blasted for pointing this out on social media. Doesn't take anything away from his greatness. I just cannot put him in the same positional category of guys like Magic, Zeke, Nash, Stockton, Kidd, and CP3. 

You’re likely too smart to be on social media lol.  I’ve been labeling him a 2 since forever.

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Sorry for the double post above.

Anywho..when the haters talk about Trae's defense, pull this one out.

Mmmmm.....felt great until I saw the bench: Lou Will everybody coming in at #8 from the bench...now it's even greater :laugh1:!!

On 12/2/2021 at 2:47 PM, marco102 said:

Not blasphemy, but Trae has the highest potential assists at 16.8 per game and when you consider the scoring he blows cp3 away this season. 

Not talking career achievements, but this season Trae has been far and away the better point guard when comparing him to CP3. He is second in points per game and 2nd in assists when discussing point guards.

Trae been balling, I can’t complain about nothing when his eFG is steadily inclining and his defensive rating slowly declining.  He can’t be compared to CP3 tho.  

Trae’s WS/48 this season is .186, far behind John and Clint.  CP3’s is .234, far ahead of his teammates (Ayton .206).  In his fourth season it was .284.

Trae is a perineal AS talent with an MVP award probably in his future.  CP is arguably the closest I’ve seen to a flawless player with Hakeem and Grant Hill.

8 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Trae been balling, I can’t complain about nothing when his eFG is steadily inclining and his defensive rating slowly declining.  He can’t be compared to CP3 tho.  

Trae’s WS/48 this season is .186, far behind John and Clint.  CP3’s is .234, far ahead of his teammates (Ayton .206).  In his fourth season it was .284.

Trae is a perineal AS talent with an MVP award probably in his future.  CP is arguably the closest I’ve seen to a flawless player with Hakeem and Grant Hill.

He can be this season. Not talking about overall careers.

It's hard not to notice Trae's improved effort on defense.

He can still be had in the PNR game easily, but when they try to iso on him or play bully ball he has really gotten better.

His best asset is being scrappy off the ball. He is generating more turnovers just from effort alone. 

Great work this offseason Trae

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

It's hard not to notice Trae's improved effort on defense.

He can still be had in the PNR game easily, but when they try to iso on him or play bully ball he has really gotten better.

His best asset is being scrappy off the ball. He is generating more turnovers just from effort alone. 

Great work this offseason Trae

Yup, the defense stood out last night and I was thinking the same. Trae has improved a ton on D for sure. 

• Like 4

Trae’s rating for 2K went up

Atlanta Hawks guard Trae Young and Golden State Warriors forward Draymond Green were among the players to have their overall rating increased in the latest NBA 2K22 update.

2K Sports announced Friday that Young's rating was increased one point to 90, while Green jumped three points to 83:

"Search every roster in the NBA and you'll be hard-pressed to find a player with a higher basketball IQ than Draymond Green. For many years, Green played the role of the enforcer for the Warriors, and in many ways he still does. But now more than ever, the former Michigan State Spartan is facilitating and orchestrating head coach Steve Kerr's system to perfection. Statistically, Green won't blow you away with his numbers, but his value isn't in the stat sheet. Even without Klay Thompson to start the 2021-2022 campaign, Green and Steph Curry have hoisted the Warriors to a sterling record of 18-3, and look like title contenders."
  • Like 1

Young has carried the Hawks offense in the early stages of the 2021-22 season. He ranks fourth in the NBA in scoring (26.3 PPG) and third in assists (9.1) while shooting a career-best 38.8 percent from three-point range.

The 2018 fifth overall pick is also on quite a roll as of late with five consecutive games with at least 30 points as Atlanta starts to climb the Eastern Conference standings.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Sothron said:

I have never been so glad to be so wrong in my life when it comes to Trae Young.

I asked my wife to name my top five favorite NBA players of all time and was shocked when I told her a current player was on that list. She looked at me with a stunned expression and said "Don't tell me Trae has cracked the Sothron Top Five?" and I had to solemnly nod. Nique, Bird, McHale, Schrempf and now Trae. Grandmama has been finally nudged off the top five into the top ten. 

Wow, my top 5 of all time?  let me think a second.  Alright, off the top of my head and in no particular order...

Michael Jordan

Scottie Pippen

Chris Mullin 

Trae Young

Mahmoud Abdul Rauf (would've been D Rose if he never got hurt)