Trae Young - The Man, The Viper, and The Prosecution aka The MVP aka Ice Trae

NBASupes

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Good god that’s like being a fan of the Red Sox and yanks at once! Bird and Nique! Soth.. a word? :indifferent:

I love basketball bro. Bird and those Celtics were a joy to watch with their intelligent and unselfish play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, shakes said:

Wow, my top 5 of all time?  let me think a second.  Alright, off the top of my head and in no particular order...

Michael Jordan

Scottie Pippen

Chris Mullin 

Trae Young

Mahmoud Abdul Rauf (would've been D Rose if he never got hurt)

Mullin is in my top ten. I respect Jordan and Pippen, they are definitely on Mrs. Sothron's top five lol.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, shakes said:

I'm 51 years old and grew up in Deerfield Illinois where the Bulls used to practice.   Jordan and Pippen lived about 2 miles from me.  I used to deliver pizza to Will Perdue.   Worked at a different place that Jordan ordered from, but was never lucky enough to get that ticket.  

I'm extremely lucky in that I got to experience MJ during a person's  absolute peak age as a sports fan (age 14-28).   We never love and are as obsessed with our teams as much as we are during that period of our lives and I got to be a diehard Bulls fan while that was going on.

My craziest story from the dynasty.  We won so much that me and my buddies had our own rioting route that we would walk every year after they won.  Started on the north side of the city and walked to Rush Street.    After the beat the Sonics for title #4 we were starting our route which always began with a stop on a busy intersection by my apartment where we would hold up signs and yell at all the passing cars for about 20 minutes.   So we are doing this and a limo pulls up and stops across the street.  Out of the limo steps Blues Traveler lead singer John Popper and the bass player Bobby Sheehan (RIP).  They walk right up to us and ask us if we know where Dennis Rodman's post game party is.  We didn't so they used the payphone we were standing next to (that's how long ago this was).  Then we gave them each a beer which they gladly accepted.  Then I pulled out and lit a joint and we passed that around.   So, got to smoke a joint with Blues Traveler.  Ended up hanging out with them on that corner shooting the shit and celebrating for about 15 minutes.

A few years later that bass player died of a drug OD.   I think I contributed. 

Mrs. Sothron is from Yorkville, Illinois.  She is a huge Chicago sports fan but I think all of you are that way. That is a pretty cool story too.

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 12/7/2021 at 12:12 PM, shakes said:

Wow, my top 5 of all time?  let me think a second.  Alright, off the top of my head and in no particular order...

Mahmoud Abdul Rauf (would've been D Rose if he never got hurt)

Still stunning that Abdul-Rauf when combined with Shaq and Stanley Roberts couldn't win anything in the NCAAs.  Dale Brown was just not a very good coach.  (For good @kg01, @lethalweapon3 and others memories [including me], they only earned a #5 seed and were eliminated by Tech's Lethal Weapon 3 team that year before UNLV curb stomped Duke in the final.)

• Like 2

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, AHF said:

Still stunning that Abdul-Rauf when combined with Shaq and Stanley Roberts couldn't win anything in the NCAAs.  Dale Brown was just not a very good coach.  (For good @kg01, @lethalweapon3 and others memories [including me], they only earned a #5 seed and were eliminated by Tech's Lethal Weapon 3 team that year before UNLV curb stomped Duke in the final.)

yea Dale Brown was just god awful.   To not do anything with Shaq and Chris Jackson is criminal.   

Best Dale Brown story:   Indiana was playing LSU in 1987 S16 and LSU was up big in teh 2nd half before Indiana came back and won.  After the game Bobby Knight said, "I thought we were in trouble, but then I looked down the sidelines, saw Dale Brown was coaching the other team and knew we would be fine".

Edited by shakes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya that’s insane. Inside outside game couldn’t have been better scripted. 

Abdul-Rauf (then Chris Jackson) was so good in college and those bigs were beasts.  Georgia won the SEC with Alec Kessler and Litterial Green who were good but not Abdul-Rauf/Shaq level or even close.  Alabama also finished better with their best player that season being Melvim Cheatum.  They had depth with several eventual NBA role players (including Robert Horry) but again Shaq and Abdul-Rauf.  Auburn (best player Ronnie Battle and no NBA talent at all) knocked them out of the SEC tournament to cement that low seed.  

Again, Dale Brown could recruit better than he could coach.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, shakes said:

yea Dale Brown was just god awful.   To not do anything with Shaq and Chris Jackson is criminal.   

Best Dale Brown story:   Indiana was playing LSU in 1987 S16 and LSU was up big in teh 2nd half before Indiana came back and won.  After the game Bobby Knight said, "I thought we were in trouble, but then I looked down the sidelines, saw Dale Brown was coaching the other team and knew we would be fine".

BK was a mixture of a genius coach and a real POS but that is a heck of a line.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Spree joined Alabama the next year when Abdul-Rauf was an NBA rookie.  Here was the 1990 team:

image.png

Ahhh, thanks. Didn’t really follow college back then nor do I now unless the Hawks are projected to have a lottery pick.

Remember not knowing about Spree well and watching the draft with a Warrior fan friend and we were both like, wait who?

They we’re projecting a big to the Warriors but as always Nelson went BPA and it usually meant another guard.

I kept hearing Elmore Spencer and Marlon Maxey to the Warriors, some mocks even had Sean Rooks from Zona would be later be a Hawk for a minute.