• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do you think this garbage ass team would be better with Luka?

NBASupes

35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's why these are exercises in futility.

1. Would we have kept Prince.

2. Would our record with Luka last year be such that we would be in position to even have the assets to trade up for Hunter. 

But that was the original question.

It's futile because it's a stacked question in favor of only one answer.  The sense is down Luka while also admitting it would take prime Jordan to make a difference to this roster.

The win difference between the 19' Hawks and 19' Mavs were 4 wins, coin flips and the lotto moved both teams back to the 8th and 10th pick.  If the goal was to still construct this exact same "garbage ass" roster then all the same draft considerations should be in effect.  10 and 17 should be able to still get you 4. 

If we are however saying that Luka would have pushed the 19' win total higher... Then that's admitting that he has a positive effect on the roster.  It's reasonable to say that if you're looking at a roster that got you closer to 40 wins instead of 30 in 19' that the goal of the GM should then be to build on that.... rather than using Prince, multiple draft picks and ~40 mil in cap to continue the salary dump carousel. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Luka played like 🥵 ass tonight. How’d you like that. 0-6 in threes. Geez. That’s weak as hell broh. He couldn’t hit one stinking three? Geez. Slow average player. Weeeeak dad bod. Gets pushed around and bullied easily. That’s should be his scouting report.

Also, he thinks cats 🐈 r dickheads. 😂 

WHERE DEM LUKER FANS AT?

-Deion Sanders after looking for McCarver 😆 

One bad game, But Luka hardly ever has any.

Logo shots and nutmeg passes are not winning games for us. Trae is too much sizzle, not enough steak.

• Premium Member
On 12/29/2019 at 11:01 AM, Sothron said:

Thank you. He's clearly better than Trae. It isn't up for debate. He's also several inches taller and can play multiple positions. He plays better defense than Trae. There's no question who is better.

I love Trae Young but this is like listening to Pacers fans telling themselves Reggie Miller was better than Jordan.

I will say that, though I agree, the gap between them would seem smaller if Trae was in Dallas and Luka here in Atlanta. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

I will say that, though I agree, the gap between them would seem smaller if Trae was in Dallas and Luka here in Atlanta. 

Does help to have people around you that can hit a perimeter shot here and there for sure. Trae's assists would certainly average higher.

• Like 3

I don't see how we wouldn't be better off having taken Luka.  In this case, we could have either kept Schröder, or more likely, instead of drafting Huerter we would have gone PG.  The best two on the board were Aaron Holiday and Landry Shamet.  I guess we would have taken Holiday but who knows.

Maybe we would be better with Luka, but you also have to ask yourself if you can trust Schlenk in team building first as well. Because when you look at it, Dallas has also done a good job at team building. They ended the Bucks' long win streak with Luka sitting out.

And at this point, the honest answer on Schlenk team building is looking like no. I'm getting serious vibes of how I was feeling about Coppy with the Braves now. Feeling like Schlenk ends up fired before the team digs itself out of a hole.

Luka is so similar to Magic Johnson.  Magic was not an amazing run/jump athlete, nor did he have a high efficiency 3pt shot (actually it was shit).  But he could do everything else.  I think Luka makes his team better.  I doubt his intangibles can touch Magic, of course.  But he's what, 20 years old?  Who knows what he can do?  Magic was a 20 point kind of guy.  Luka is a 30 point guy, that's LeBron territory (another good comp).  I can't believe Dallas has jumped up from the outhouse to a mid-pack Western team so quickly.  Dallas is a dogshit team, add Luka and they are actually pretty good.

It's hard to say who is the best comparison for Trae.  I don't think there has ever been anyone quite like him.  He has the range and will hopefully develop nearly the accuracy of Stephen Curry.  But there's also some Allen Iverson in there; not the bad attitude at all but the swagger and scoring and flash (and inconsistency/streakiness).  When he does something like nutmeg JJ Redick, or break some poor dude's ankles, or score those high banked layups over big guys, that's Iverson-esque.

The play-making side of Trae is kind of Steve Nashy to me.  When Nash was playing with good teams, he was an 11 assist kind of guy, with the shooting.  Trae can do this on a good team.

Trae is a weird Steph/Iverson/Nash mashup.  And that can be great.  Or just very good (we'll see).  The closer to Steph he gets, the closer to greatness.

Trae CAN match Luka in value, but for him to do that, he's going to have to elevate his 3pt shooting from 38% to 42+% (something Curry has done in at least 10 seasons), and be a 10+ assist guy once he has a good team around him.  And not suck at defense.  Trae is only 21 - it's conceivable he could make these jumps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, enrique said:

Over two years, the Mavericks record without boy wonder is outstanding. We are comparing apples and oranges on the teams. Trae is amazing. Luka too. Neither could carry this team. 

Umm.  let's see this year dallas is 19-9 with Luka.  2-3 without him.  Last year's Luka is a good, very good player.  This year he increased his scoring output 50% and everything is better.  He's a different player.

Edited by txsting

9 hours ago, enrique said:

Let me state it this way...anyone who thinks that Luka is the chief reason for Dallas' success will be proven wrong this season. Dallas' success is due to a well-rounded team and incredible bench. Luka is a stud, but until he quits chucking 3s or starts hitting them (or sharing the ball with others who are more gifted at shooting the 3 than he is...which is a high percentage of the Mavericks this year) they will underperform. He is at his best in aggressive 2pt mode and distributing the ball.

LOL ... how is a guy who is routinely responsible for almost 50% of the Mavs offense NOT chiefly responsible for the Mavs success?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, terrell said:

Theyre calling him the budget James Harden on Mavs board. Theyre worse than some of the Trae haters on the Squawk over there tonight. lol

That's any message board. At one time LeBron was the King with no rings. Anthony Davis wasn't a "winner". Hell they said Jordan wasn't a "winner" in the 80s. This is a team sport. It's not marketed that way, but you actually need 5 guys on the court that know what the hell they're doing.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, enrique said:

Let me state it this way...anyone who thinks that Luka is the chief reason for Dallas' success will be proven wrong this season. Dallas' success is due to a well-rounded team and incredible bench. Luka is a stud, but until he quits chucking 3s or starts hitting them (or sharing the ball with others who are more gifted at shooting the 3 than he is...which is a high percentage of the Mavericks this year) they will underperform. He is at his best in aggressive 2pt mode and distributing the ball.

Luka's 3pt shooting is the main thing that threatens to hold him back.  Especially when you see that he is hitting 60% of his 2PT shots (which is the highest rate for a guard in the NBA).  You also factor in the decreased offensive rebounding rate when shooting the 3 (look it up), especially with one of your best rebounders stood 25 feet from the basket, and you can see there might be a problem.  32% isn't Josh Smith bad, but he certainly shouldn't be putting up 9 deep shots per game.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, txsting said:

Luka's 3pt shooting is the main thing that threatens to hold him back.  Especially when you see that he is hitting 60% of his 2PT shots (which is the highest rate for a guard in the NBA).  You also factor in the decreased offensive rebounding rate when shooting the 3 (look it up), especially with one of your best rebounders stood 25 feet from the basket, and you can see there might be a problem.  32% isn't Josh Smith bad, but he certainly shouldn't be putting up 9 deep shots per game.  

Trae could be one the best 3 point shooters if he would take better shots.

• Like 3